Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Expressvu HD RETENTION - FREE PVR (1 Year) FREE HD RECEIVER (2 years)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2019 10:11 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
nufan wrote: My $10 off expired and was able to get it reapplied pretty quick with a call to retentions. Time to take a good look and what other options they have as with Netflix we rarely watch much else other than the major networks.
If I could Id get rid of the dish altogether, but Im not the only one in the house. I PVR everything, dont even know the last time I hit the guide to watch things. And stuff I pvr, I rarely watch anyway. Most shows I like arent on the stations I have anyway. Id be just happy with Netfliux and downlading, but for the shows my wife and daughter watch, not an option for now.
May 25, 2005
379 posts
107 upvotes
Well, my Bell 9242 PVR died (for the 3rd time). It freezes up after about 5-10 minutes and needs a hard boot to recover. I have fixed it with new capacitors already, swapped power supplies, hard drive is not the issue, looks like something more serious this time.

I gave Bell a shot, they swapped in a 9400 PVR which is lacking a bunch of the 9242 features. No PIP is really annoying. We would always swap to the other tuner while the first one was buffering to the PVR watching sports during intermission, watching TV during commercials, etc and then you can just swap back and rewind the stream a bit if you miss the start without missing anything. You didn't have to start it recording or anything. The new models do not do this. We also had a second TV fed from the second output in the basement for occasional use. (doing laundry, ironing, and other basement type stuff)

I have not been happy with the 9400 they sent, called them again, they really couldn't do anything as the 9242 isn't available any longer and there is nothing that can replace it's features. I went ahead and lowered the package to bare bones basic. Already negotiated for the $10 monthly loyalty credits prior to this and like many I used to get $20 monthly or better in the past for loyalty deals.

Called and put in the cancellation the next day. Wish we could skip the 30 days notice. Got Telus Optik TV install happening. 3 year contract first 12mo at about half price. Get $5 bundle discount per service and already have mobile phone with them. Telus has new 100Mbit Internet tier on bonded VDSL2 so getting that installed. They have a $100 credit for switching from Shaw or Novus if Telus handles the cancellation, but doesn't count for cancelling from Bell though, I am getting a $50 bill credit instead. Last perk it seems the channel bundles on Telus work a bit better for our preferences. eg, sports bundle includes sportsnet 360. On Bell with essentials channel package SN360 was not included and Had to move to Better if I wanted it. Difference though is Bell had the east, west, pacific, etc sportsnet channels and with Telus you get the "local" sportsnet and the other regions are in a different package. But I never found much use for the other regional sportsnets. Any time they had different games being played, it was blacked out here.

I don't get the same PIP and buffered swap feature I miss by switching. Telus has a multiview feature for watching up to 4 simultaneous channels but it's not that convenient to use. You must launch the app, configure the channels it's using and you cannot easily swap them around, go full screen or buffer the other channels without many, many presses on the remote. They do have a decent feature that keeps track of the last channels you were watching to switch back to ones you were watching 3 or 4 channels switches back. It would be amazing if it would keep buffering those previously tuned channels but it seems to do this you must set it to start recording before you switch channels. Telus service can record 4 HD at once (used to be 3HD and 1SD but they recently changed it to 4HD). The second TV will need it's own box but they can both access the PVR content so actually it's better than the old 9242 second TV output. I already have Ethernet wiring in the walls so no major work required to install and will not need to rely on the coax for networking. Personally I will prefer to have the hardware as rental equipment with Telus at least until the next gen Mediaroom plans come out from new owners Ericsson who only recently started to talk about next gen plans.

Smartphone apps on Telus similar to Bell for remote control, PVR setting, and streaming of a small selection of channels and programs on demand on laptop/tablet/phone. Reviews suggest they are glitchy but that's no different than my experience with these things on Bell.

$105/mo on Telus for 6 months. (Added movies for $10 for 6mo deal)
$115/mo on Telus for next 6months (Regular price movies but promo price on Internet and TV bundle)
$189/mo after that. (Regular price for everything minus bundle discount)

would be paying $88 for the 100Mbit Internet if sticking with Bell
Would be paying $102.95 to Bell with similar package and $10 loyalty discount.

So when the price goes back to the regular rate with Telus I will be paying close to what I am paying now assuming no price increases at Bell (yeah right). Also when the price goes back to regular rate with Telus I have seen many reports that people have excellent success with calling their loyalty department and getting a discount even when under contract. The cancellation is $10/mo remaining so as long as you can convince them a competitor deal is saving you more than the $10 they would still have an incentive to offer you a discount to stay.

So, I save some money up front, get faster internet, free hardware, but I loose the PIP feature I miss either way.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
queball wrote: Well, my Bell 9242 PVR died (for the 3rd time). It freezes up after about 5-10 minutes and needs a hard boot to recover. I have fixed it with new capacitors already, swapped power supplies, hard drive is not the issue, looks like something more serious this time.

I gave Bell a shot, they swapped in a 9400 PVR which is lacking a bunch of the 9242 features. No PIP is really annoying. We would always swap to the other tuner while the first one was buffering to the PVR watching sports during intermission, watching TV during commercials, etc and then you can just swap back and rewind the stream a bit if you miss the start without missing anything. You didn't have to start it recording or anything. The new models do not do this. We also had a second TV fed from the second output in the basement for occasional use. (doing laundry, ironing, and other basement type stuff)

I have not been happy with the 9400 they sent, called them again, they really couldn't do anything as the 9242 isn't available any longer and there is nothing that can replace it's features. I went ahead and lowered the package to bare bones basic. Already negotiated for the $10 monthly loyalty credits prior to this and like many I used to get $20 monthly or better in the past for loyalty deals.

Called and put in the cancellation the next day. Wish we could skip the 30 days notice. Got Telus Optik TV install happening. 3 year contract first 12mo at about half price. Get $5 bundle discount per service and already have mobile phone with them. Telus has new 100Mbit Internet tier on bonded VDSL2 so getting that installed. They have a $100 credit for switching from Shaw or Novus if Telus handles the cancellation, but doesn't count for cancelling from Bell though, I am getting a $50 bill credit instead. Last perk it seems the channel bundles on Telus work a bit better for our preferences. eg, sports bundle includes sportsnet 360. On Bell with essentials channel package SN360 was not included and Had to move to Better if I wanted it. Difference though is Bell had the east, west, pacific, etc sportsnet channels and with Telus you get the "local" sportsnet and the other regions are in a different package. But I never found much use for the other regional sportsnets. Any time they had different games being played, it was blacked out here.

I don't get the same PIP and buffered swap feature I miss by switching. Telus has a multiview feature for watching up to 4 simultaneous channels but it's not that convenient to use. You must launch the app, configure the channels it's using and you cannot easily swap them around, go full screen or buffer the other channels without many, many presses on the remote. They do have a decent feature that keeps track of the last channels you were watching to switch back to ones you were watching 3 or 4 channels switches back. It would be amazing if it would keep buffering those previously tuned channels but it seems to do this you must set it to start recording before you switch channels. Telus service can record 4 HD at once (used to be 3HD and 1SD but they recently changed it to 4HD). The second TV will need it's own box but they can both access the PVR content so actually it's better than the old 9242 second TV output. I already have Ethernet wiring in the walls so no major work required to install and will not need to rely on the coax for networking. Personally I will prefer to have the hardware as rental equipment with Telus at least until the next gen Mediaroom plans come out from new owners Ericsson who only recently started to talk about next gen plans.

Smartphone apps on Telus similar to Bell for remote control, PVR setting, and streaming of a small selection of channels and programs on demand on laptop/tablet/phone. Reviews suggest they are glitchy but that's no different than my experience with these things on Bell.

$105/mo on Telus for 6 months. (Added movies for $10 for 6mo deal)
$115/mo on Telus for next 6months (Regular price movies but promo price on Internet and TV bundle)
$189/mo after that. (Regular price for everything minus bundle discount)

would be paying $88 for the 100Mbit Internet if sticking with Bell
Would be paying $102.95 to Bell with similar package and $10 loyalty discount.

So when the price goes back to the regular rate with Telus I will be paying close to what I am paying now assuming no price increases at Bell (yeah right). Also when the price goes back to regular rate with Telus I have seen many reports that people have excellent success with calling their loyalty department and getting a discount even when under contract. The cancellation is $10/mo remaining so as long as you can convince them a competitor deal is saving you more than the $10 they would still have an incentive to offer you a discount to stay.

So, I save some money up front, get faster internet, free hardware, but I loose the PIP feature I miss either way.

Ill be losing my 9242 for a 9400. But really I never used the 9242 features to the max anyway, never used PIP and it wasnt hooked up to a second TV anyway. Was going to do it someday, but with a completely finished house, never happened

Im 3 months away from officially owning the 9242, Ive had it for 7 years now, and have never paid for it, but I guess 2.5 years a go I did something where I pay for it but get an instant credit, and after 3 years I own it

Id like to know if I can use the receiver on Telus, since they use the same hardware anyway. Ive always liked this PVR, and hate to lose anything going to the 9400

Besides PIP and dual tuner for antoehr tv, what other options would I be losing
May 25, 2005
379 posts
107 upvotes
Spidey wrote: Ill be losing my 9242 for a 9400. But really I never used the 9242 features to the max anyway, never used PIP and it wasnt hooked up to a second TV anyway. Was going to do it someday, but with a completely finished house, never happened

Im 3 months away from officially owning the 9242, Ive had it for 7 years now, and have never paid for it, but I guess 2.5 years a go I did something where I pay for it but get an instant credit, and after 3 years I own it

Id like to know if I can use the receiver on Telus, since they use the same hardware anyway. Ive always liked this PVR, and hate to lose anything going to the 9400

Besides PIP and dual tuner for antoehr tv, what other options would I be losing
If you never used the PIP and TV2 feature then you probably wouldn't care. The other feature the 9242 has is the ability to use a digital OTA antenna for local digital channels. If your 9242 is still working well and you own it, or soon will then sell it for the cash. it goes for about $300 used. Also the OTA antenna feature stops working if you disconnect the satellite feed or cancel your subscription (Pretty stupid and it's predecessor didn't need the subscription for the OTA feed to work)

Telus does not allow you to use Bell branded hardware for their Satellite service. The integrated smartcard in your current Bell hardware is hard coded for Bell as the provider and the firmware only allows Bell smartcards. It's just like trying to use a USA dish network box on Bell, not allowed. Even though it's the same equipment internally they do not allow it and the serial numbers must be in the Telus inventory for it to work. It's not like Cell phones either, you cannot get your box "unlocked" to accept a different card. Bell might be the back end provider of service but they do not allow swapping of receivers between the two brands.

So switching to Telus means you cannot keep using the Bell receivers. They can of course keep using the same dish equipment. They might want to swap in a different LNB and multiswitch if your old one is not the current model.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
queball wrote: If you never used the PIP and TV2 feature then you probably wouldn't care. The other feature the 9242 has is the ability to use a digital OTA antenna for local digital channels. If your 9242 is still working well and you own it, or soon will then sell it for the cash. it goes for about $300 used. Also the OTA antenna feature stops working if you disconnect the satellite feed or cancel your subscription (Pretty stupid and it's predecessor didn't need the subscription for the OTA feed to work)

Telus does not allow you to use Bell branded hardware for their Satellite service. The integrated smartcard in your current Bell hardware is hard coded for Bell as the provider and the firmware only allows Bell smartcards. It's just like trying to use a USA dish network box on Bell, not allowed. Even though it's the same equipment internally they do not allow it and the serial numbers must be in the Telus inventory for it to work. It's not like Cell phones either, you cannot get your box "unlocked" to accept a different card. Bell might be the back end provider of service but they do not allow swapping of receivers between the two brands.

So switching to Telus means you cannot keep using the Bell receivers. They can of course keep using the same dish equipment. They might want to swap in a different LNB and multiswitch if your old one is not the current model.

Thanks, looks like I never used the PVr to its full potential. No biggie, had to for 7 years, and was fine, and we had no OTA channels down here anyway

I figured as much for the recievers, worth a shot to ask.

Shame retentions couldnt come through, Ive been happy with Bell, but the pocketbook is talking as well
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1551 posts
196 upvotes
Barrie
Hey, I know this is a retentions thread but if anyone wants info on new customer deals feel free to PM me. I've dealt with a rep offering some pretty good retentions-style promos.
Amex SPG, MR, and Aeroplan offers help me travel!
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
Officially moved over to Telus on Saturday. Dish is way cleaner now since the swicth block is now gone, and now part of the Dual LNB. No difference in programming, and the only difference in the guide is the colour. Instead of blue and red its grey and green.

Shame this deal isnt out east, Im saving $45 a month, only paying $10 a month for basic now
Feb 22, 2007
20 posts
4 upvotes
queball wrote: If you never used the PIP and TV2 feature then you probably wouldn't care. The other feature the 9242 has is the ability to use a digital OTA antenna for local digital channels. If your 9242 is still working well and you own it, or soon will then sell it for the cash. it goes for about $300 used. Also the OTA antenna feature stops working if you disconnect the satellite feed or cancel your subscription (Pretty stupid and it's predecessor didn't need the subscription for the OTA feed to work)

I PVR just about everything including channel 199 - our local station broadcasted on satellite in Standard Definition. :(

Just swapped my 9241 for the 9242 in the other room. Finally able to record our local news in High Definition using the HD OTA broadcast.

This has been one of my pet peeves for years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1555 upvotes
Edmonton
Just got a letter mentioning that the HD PVR that we received free rent on for 3 years can be ours for free (which was originally what I signed on for with a renewal 3 years ago) if we phone them, or, if not phone, they will own it and extend the warranty for 24 months.

What would you guys do? I am having a hard time decided what the best option would be. Thanks for your input!

For the record, it is a seldom used PVR, definitely not heavy use at all.
Oct 19, 2006
420 posts
69 upvotes
Peterborough
jory29 wrote: Just got a letter mentioning that the HD PVR that we received free rent on for 3 years can be ours for free (which was originally what I signed on for with a renewal 3 years ago) if we phone them, or, if not phone, they will own it and extend the warranty for 24 months.

What would you guys do? I am having a hard time decided what the best option would be. Thanks for your input!

For the record, it is a seldom used PVR, definitely not heavy use at all.

I called in an verified I could call at a later date and revert the ownership to me at any later date

Left it in their name, so I had it covered.

Then a year later, called moved it to my name, then the next day I cancelled bell.

Cut the cord...
Peterboro..ON
Oct 19, 2006
420 posts
69 upvotes
Peterborough
Time to sell my 9242, any suggestions where to post / sell it?.
Peterboro..ON
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5317 posts
375 upvotes
Markham
jmalias wrote: I called in an verified I could call at a later date and revert the ownership to me at any later date

Left it in their name, so I had it covered.

Then a year later, called moved it to my name, then the next day I cancelled bell.

Cut the cord...
do oyu tsill have to pay monthly fee?
Oct 19, 2006
420 posts
69 upvotes
Peterborough
adeel wrote: do oyu tsill have to pay monthly fee?
The question of ownership and extending warranty only comes after the 24 months of payments is finished.

So no more payments.
Peterboro..ON
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1085 posts
261 upvotes
Winnipeg
I just called retentions and asked for the $10 off per month for a year discount which I have had in the past. I got it no problem.
Feb 20, 2010
3 posts
Windsor
Just called in to Bell and got a fast talker who ended up giving me a pathetic $5/month off my phone and $5/month off satellite.
Not happy at all. Will be converting to VOIP home phone ASAP.