Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Expressvu HD RETENTION - FREE PVR (1 Year) FREE HD RECEIVER (2 years)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2019 10:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3000 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
Then ill send him on his way so he will have to uninstall everything.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
bubble.tea wrote: Score:

20%., freeJust wanted to point out.

The free HDPVR offer is a single-tuner. We have a dual-tuner., Has anybody received a dual-tuner free hdpvr offer RECENTLY?

Was told Bell is releasing/working on a *new* dual-tuner hence none available.

I opted to get call-back from the kind rep., still undecided if we *really* need dual-tuner or if the $20x12 is worth dropping down.

Oh well., accepted the offer.

2nd time around :) .

After all our discussions, I completely forgot to ask if it was a term basis or not. Am I incorrect in assuming that if they offer you a discount for a fixed term...there is a contract associated? How could they give you 20/30/50% discount for 12months, but it not be attached in the system to a term renewal? It may as well be an indefinate credit then? :razz:
Umm. What single tuner pvr are you talking about? Bell doesn't even sell a single tuner one right now. The standard offer of free pvr for a year is the 9241 which is dual tuner (single tv) HD PVR.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14544 posts
5481 upvotes
Gatineau
mapleleafs89 wrote: Then ill send him on his way so he will have to uninstall everything.
Then thats what you'll have to do :D

djino
Aug 19, 2007
176 posts
11 upvotes
Saint Catharines
Just found this thread recently and wanted to post my experience. Live in the Niagara Region and switched my home phone to Cogeco and was going to switch TV to them as well. This was in April. When I called Bell to cancel my contract, I had no idea that they had a retentions department. When they transfered me to it, within 2 minutes, after telling them the deal Cogeco was offering me, they gave me 50% off my entire bill (excluding my PVR rentals) for 6 months. Didn't know if that was good or bad, but I am saving almost $40 per month for the next 6 months. Will call Cogeco again just near the end of my contract and see what they can offer me and then go back at Bell and try again.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28532 posts
1247 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
redgrandam wrote: Umm. What single tuner pvr are you talking about? Bell doesn't even sell a single tuner one right now. The standard offer of free pvr for a year is the 9241 which is dual tuner (single tv) HD PVR.
No clue. I'm just saying what the rep said.

Single Tune HD PVR., record one show at a time
Dual Tuner HD PVR., record TWO shows at a time., can output feed to two separate tvs, you get two remotes, to control the image to the two tvs independantly & concurrently.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I got the impression that there is only a free HDPVR for the Single-Tuner currently.
PayTM - $154
PC OPT: $4574 Ebates: $68.42
100%+ BST, Heatware Est. 2005, Marketplace eCommerce & Kijiji 5-Star
FS/WTT Wolverine/LOWA/Quality & Vintage footwear Sz 3D-13D
~
FS Boots (CF - RCMP) & Curb Stompers, Allen Edmonds
Apr 2, 2006
92 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
bubble.tea wrote: No clue. I'm just saying what the rep said.

Dual Tuner HD PVR., record TWO shows at a time., can output feed to two separate tvs, you get two remotes, to control the image to the two tvs independantly & concurrently.

I got the impression that there is only a free HDPVR for the Single-Tuner currently.
I'm pretty sure Bell does not have a single tuner HDPVR. The rep is probably confused between single tv output HDPVR vs single tuner HDPVR.
So to recap:
- dual tuner HDPVR with 1 tv output - 9241 (current model)
- dual tuner HDPVR with 2 tv output - 9242 (discontinued model)
- single tuner HDPVR of any kind - does not exist
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14544 posts
5481 upvotes
Gatineau
bubble.tea wrote: No clue. I'm just saying what the rep said.

6131/6141 Receiver = Single Tuner HD Ready PVR (need to add external HDD to have PVR Capabilities).

9242 Receiver = Duel Tuner HD PVR (able to feed to two separate TVs to watch/record two different shows at the same time OR feed to 1 TV with the ability to record two shows at the same time)

9241 Receiver = Duel Tuner HD PVR. Cannot feed to two separate tvs for separate viewing, just feeds to 1 TV with the ability to record two shows at the same time).

Bell stopped giving out 9242 and is only supplying 9241s. Though I believe places like The Source is still selling 9242s.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
The above posts are correct. The only HD receivers available right now with BELL is 9241, and 6131. (also a SD receiver, NOT pvr, whatever that one is I don't know now)...

I don't know why he would tell you about the two remotes etc, that one is no longer available, at least not through Bell. You likely won't find it anywhere now.

They MAY bring back dual tuner dual TV soon.. That's what an installer told me anyways, but he didn't know for a fact. Eitehr way, the 12x$20 offer is for the 9241, that's the $20/month one. Dual tuner (record two shows at once, and watch one at the same time, or watch one and record at the same time)
May 2, 2008
160 posts
7 upvotes
I'm just off my 30% off from the past year. I figured that the 20% off that most everyone has been getting would be easy... not so. My roughly $80 bill per month may not be the biggest, but this is what they offered... #1 $40 off over a year (a little more that $3 a month off) I wanted 30% but I knew that 20% was more realistic... so I kept pushing for at least 20%. After talking to a manager (yeah right) she offered $10 off a month. I still wouldn't take it. They will tell you that different subscribers have different accounts and therefore have different offers available to them. I didn't take it. Pushed again for 20% as I know lots of people (RFDers are my friends hehehe) who have received 20% off recently and quit wasting my time. After a second "I have to talk to my manager" talk, I got 20% off. Be prepared to battle.
Nov 20, 2008
927 posts
242 upvotes
How is the PVR function of the 6131 when hook up to a hard drive compared to the PVR of the 9241? Is it the same in term of ease of use and functions or is it more "ghetto" than the 9241?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
1C5 wrote: How is the PVR function of the 6131 when hook up to a hard drive compared to the PVR of the 9241? Is it the same in term of ease of use and functions or is it more "ghetto" than the 9241?
It's the same, you just can't watch something else while it is recording, and just know that you have to use a drive that doesn't go to sleep on it's own, so your HD will be spinning 24/7 till the day it dies, which might not be too long depending on the drive.

Edit, you can watch another show, just not live while it's recording, you an only watch another recorded show.
Dec 27, 2005
673 posts
21 upvotes
just wanted to share my story

after a heavy rain storm my hd signal was lost.. the next day , the reg channels worked however the hd feed was out and showing 0 signal.. i checked the connection outside etc, all seemed fine

contacted bell support and was told i was to be charged $75 for a tech to come out.. obviously i didnt pay.. i assumed it was a bad lnb and when a neighbour had a spare we tested it out and it worked fine..

called bell back and told them i wanted to cancel.. they said ohh the best they could do was $5 off a month

tried to call bell a week later with all intentions of cancelling this time.. and was offered the tech for free.. which i explained i had already fixed the problem..
then was offered 10 % off which was only about $6.50 a month on my $65 bill

i told them no go ahead and cancel as i am renting a $10 month hd box..
finally thye offered me the 10% off and a free hd box rental for one year.. $10 off per month

so i said ok ill keep it..

however the catch was i was told the tech had to come swap by hd box with another identical to the one i already have.. why i asked .. and was told the box i have now is in their system as a hd rental and the new one would be a hd rental free for one year..

total bs.. on top of that i was to be charged $100 for the box and then credited back $100 on my next bill

what a bunch of idiots
needless to say
i canceled
Kuro, Adj. Black: Being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness: Origin: Japanese.

Heatware feedback +3
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3000 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
whats the big deal though, your not paying $100 really, just a deposit. And your getting a new HD box switched for your used one, right? Why is that bad, stupid on their behalf but not like it affects you other than having to be home for the guy to do it.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11826 posts
3164 upvotes
GTA
mapleleafs89 wrote: ..... other than having to be home for the guy to do it.
....probably wont even be a guy, they'll send you the new one and you'll have a week to send back the old one. Ooh, the hardship.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2263 posts
518 upvotes
mapleleafs89 wrote: whats the big deal though, your not paying $100 really, just a deposit. And your getting a new HD box switched for your used one, right? Why is that bad, stupid on their behalf but not like it affects you other than having to be home for the guy to do it.
Given Bell's history of messing up credits, it is a big deal. There is no reason why they should have to charge him the $100 now, and credit it back later. That is just stupid.