Computers & Electronics

Bell fibe 50 FTTN or Start.ca 100mpbs cable internet?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 12:01 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
143 posts
62 upvotes

Bell fibe 50 FTTN or Start.ca 100mpbs cable internet?

Hi Guys, i need your thoughts. Im moving to a townhouse in Burlington and im currently with bell fibe 1gb connection at midtown.

Bell offers an FTTN fibe 50mbps at 65$ and start.ca at 250mbps cable internet for 70$.

Thoughts? Is fibe more reliable and solid connection than cable conection?

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1341 posts
1162 upvotes
It depends on what you usually do. If you game then I'd go with the fibre connection (lower latency) otherwise I'd take the faster non-fibre connection.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1398 posts
1039 upvotes
Québec
CanadianSpruce wrote: It depends on what you usually do. If you game then I'd go with the fibre connection (lower latency) otherwise I'd take the faster non-fibre connection.
FTTN has no better latency than cable. Both use 99% fiber optics, only the last portion is not fiber optic.

Bell FTTN = VDSL, not true fiber wich is FTTH.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1341 posts
1162 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: FTTN has no better latency than cable. Both use 99% fiber optics, only the last portion is not fiber optic.

Bell FTTN = VDSL, not true fiber wich is FTTH.
Yes you're right. I read it as FTTH.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
Wizkies wrote: Thoughts? Is fibe more reliable and solid connection than cable conection?
No difference, go for the fastest speed.
No need to give bell any money for that archaic 50mbps dsl.
.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 19, 2007
1819 posts
692 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Wizkies wrote: Hi Guys, i need your thoughts. Im moving to a townhouse in Burlington and im currently with bell fibe 1gb connection at midtown.

Bell offers an FTTN fibe 50mbps at 65$ and start.ca at 250mbps cable internet for 70$.

Thoughts? Is fibe more reliable and solid connection than cable conection?

Thanks!

So I'm probably going to be the contrarian here and suggest going with a 50M FTTN package but from Ebox instead of Bell. They're running a promo for $39.95 for the first year, and their network and peering is top notch. I get 8ms of latency to most CDNs (Cloudflare, Google, Netflix, etc) on my connection from Ottawa

In the end it's all about whether you truly need the speed, or can manage bandwidth with proper QoS on your router


My $0.002
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
143 posts
62 upvotes
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. I am running a plex server streaming 4k to my sister in vancouver and brother in Singapore.

I read that start.ca cable internet slows down when a lot of people are using the connection at the same time on the geographic location. Im not sure how many start.ca.cable user in my townhouse but theres around 100 units in that complex
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
143 posts
62 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote: It depends on what you usually do. If you game then I'd go with the fibre connection (lower latency) otherwise I'd take the faster non-fibre connection.
I am running a plex server streaming 4k to my sister in vancouver and brother in Singapore.

Top