None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3647 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto

Bell Fibe Issue - New Setup

Long story short - signed up with Virgin on their Fibe deal, with a technician set to come out today

Technician said the fibe run to my house was never done, yet my neighbours both have it - he can run a temp wire through trees across 3 houses (I said no) and Bell tech can come in a few months to fix

My ask was to escalate to get wiring done properly before setup - and now the Bell rep is telling me they can't give me Fibe today, but can give me older technology

Anyone faced this issue before and how I can escalate to Bell to come get my wiring setup properly through the ground to my house - I advised if they cannot, I would leave and not use Bell again while sharing a horrible experience

My thought is Bell should figure this out and get the setup going - not weeks or months later
14 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1727 upvotes
Clarington, ON
If fiber optic cable was never run to your house, they can't put in fiber service. The tech will temp in. Burial will happen in future as it is handled by a different employee.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1200 posts
932 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm worried about the same thing. I'm moving to a different house next week, and have Fibe install scheduled for Saturday.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
4563 upvotes
Mississauga
Well OP only has two options: deal with the temporary fiber optic line (no one’s burying anything until spring) or go with legacy FTTN. If it were me, I’d go with what’s behind door number one and put up with the temporary line. FTTH >> FTTN any day and twice on Sundays.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3647 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Temp line is running from 3 houses away through trees to me - rep told me if neighbour complains it comes down, just don't feel anyone will be happy having a cable stretching that far being an eye sore

I am trying to get Bell to expedite coming and putting in a real line (digging) - especially given my neighbourhood was all setup (both my neighbours have the line) yet I was missed somehow?!? when the area was being done (a few years ago).
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1576 posts
1033 upvotes
Barrie ON
wmahmud wrote: Technician said the fibe run to my house was never done, yet my neighbours both have it -
KevinM56081 wrote: If fiber optic cable was never run to your house, they can't put in fiber service.
The product that Bell calls "Bell Fibe" can be either Fibre To The Neighborhood (or Node) (FTTN), or Fibre To The Home (FTTH).

It isn't clear what product the OP is subscribing to, but FTTN only requires a regular phone line from the fibre node to the customers home. It does not require a fibre optic cable to be run into the home.

Perhaps the OP should also check his address to see which products are available in his neighborhood. He should also update this thread with the specific Fibe service that he "thinks" he signed up for. It's quite possible that if he asked the customer service rep for Fibe Internet over the phone, that he might only be getting FTTN if that is all that is available.

If you go to the Bell Canada site, and enter your address (or any address for that matter) you can see which of the "FIbe" products are available for that address. For example the following screen shots show that only FTTN is available at my address, while FTTH is available at a friends address.

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16692 posts
11424 upvotes
Markham
The problem you have is you signed up for VIRGIN not BELL. It's BELL lines but not technically their service.

In some cases fibre is to the node and not to the house.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3568 upvotes
Rick007 wrote: The product that Bell calls "Bell Fibe" can be either Fibre To The Neighborhood (or Node) (FTTN), or Fibre To The Home (FTTH).

It isn't clear what product the OP is subscribing to, but FTTN only requires a regular phone line from the fibre node to the customers home. It does not require a fibre optic cable to be run into the home.

Perhaps the OP should also check his address to see which products are available in his neighborhood. He should also update this thread with the specific Fibe service that he "thinks" he signed up for. It's quite possible that if he asked the customer service rep for Fibe Internet over the phone, that he might only be getting FTTN if that is all that is available.

If you go to the Bell Canada site, and enter your address (or any address for that matter) you can see which of the "FIbe" products are available for that address. For example the following screen shots show that only FTTN is available at my address, while FTTH is available at a friends address.

FTTN does not require any special line to be run as it just uses existing regular copper lines. So almost certain he is looking for FTTH and need the fibre run. But your advice is good , he should check his address availability at the bell or virgin site. In fact that should have been done by Virgin BEFORE they signed him up. Kinda shady IMO.

Getting this expedited now won’t be a priority for Bell since he’s not a Bell customer so spring is probably the best date possible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3647 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Bell/Virgin is the same thing - owned by Bell, I would think they would treat you similar

(Not like its a true third party)

I signed up for their 100d/10u plan

FTTH

As per bell site, also confirms im setup as such

My neighbors both sides who never used bell, have the fibre wired to outside their home - I dont
Images
  • EC4191D5-29CC-4803-BF97-7587EE98F9D7.png
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1727 upvotes
Clarington, ON
wmahmud wrote: Bell/Virgin is the same thing - owned by Bell, I would think they would treat you similar

(Not like its a true third party)

I signed up for their 100d/10u plan

FTTH

As per bell site, also confirms im setup as such

My neighbors both sides who never used bell, have the fibre wired to outside their home - I dont
Not the same. Try and book service through bell then through virgin. Bell will be there within 2 days for their own clients. They may be there in 2 weeks for avirgin customer
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2619 posts
1594 upvotes
Alliston, ON
This is standard practice for both bell and Rogers. If you need a new line run they will string it through the trees or tie to poles and then you get added to the list of the burial crew. If it's close to winter, then it'll stay like that till spring when they can begin work again.

My in-laws just had this happen with Rogers. There 40yr old cable line wasn't strong enough to support the ignite service so they had to run a new line to the house. The closest box was 1 house away but that neighbour would consent to having the cable run through their tree so they had to run it from the other box 5 houses away and string it across light poles so neighbours have no say.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7474 posts
7979 upvotes
Older neighbourhood does not have the FTTH service, they only provide FTTN. Older houses are not linked with an optical fiber cable. Bell just start to modernize older neighbourhood. New neighbourhood are already FTTH
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2113 posts
1157 upvotes
GTA
DoorCrasher wrote: Older neighbourhood does not have the FTTH service, they only provide FTTN. Older houses are not linked with an optical fiber cable. Bell just start to modernize older neighbourhood. New neighbourhood are already FTTH
Depends on the area. I moved into Scarborough and this 50 year old house has FTTH. I see the spool on the side of the house where it should run into the house. In my old house, 20 years old, they only started pulling fiber into the neighbourhood last year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7474 posts
7979 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Depends on the area. I moved into Scarborough and this 50 year old house has FTTH. I see the spool on the side of the house where it should run into the house. In my old house, 20 years old, they only started pulling fiber into the neighbourhood last year.
I guess they are modernizing the most populous neighborhoods
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1459 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
I just went through something similar. It took 3 weeks from signing up for the service (with Bell) to get Fibre run to the house and properly installed. They depend on an outside contractor to run the fibre underground, and that took ~2 weeks and this is a Small Business Line through Bell (not Virgin).

Edit: This was in South Scarborough where Fibre was run through the neighbourhood in 2017.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)