Computers & Electronics

Bell Fibe and wifi range/performance sucks... Help?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2019 8:47 pm
Dec 24, 2011
151 posts
35 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Bell Fibe and wifi range/performance sucks... Help?

I have Bell Fibe with a Home Hub 3000. I live in a 2,700 sq ft 2 storey home, and wifi range and overall performance sucks. Internet in the backyard hangs by a thread. Based on the layout of my home, there is no ideal 'central' location to put the modem, so cant move it to more ideal location.

I have 4 of Bell's wifi 'mini' pods, but seems they suck too? I have 28 wifi active devices (many Wemo light switches) and 23 of the 28 are connected to the modem - devices will not connect to the nearest pod but will stretch to the modem, leaving for a cruddy connection.

The pods just dont help and arent worth it so i'm returning them. I bought Google Wifi (trying to throw money at the problem) but now I'm reading its not so easy to add Google Wifi as your can't (easily) put the HH3000 in bridge mode.

What is everyone else with Bell Fibe and HH3000 doing/using? Does it just 'work' for you, or anyone else manage to get 3rd party mesh working? Any thoughts/recommendations? TIA!
Images
  • IMG_5138.PNG
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2265 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
I do not rely on the router functionality of the provider modems anymore. I had the same issue with Rogers when we moved into a bigger house. I have maybe 40 wireless devices. I solved the stability and dropped connection issues by buying an AC3100 router. I placed the route at the main floor family room. My nephews told me they can pick up the 2.4Ghz AP from 3 houses away. One thing to consider since you're willing to throw money at the problem.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
What makes it even worse is that their wireless Fibe TV receivers don't even officially support a wired connection, even though they have an Ethernet port They can be made to work on wired, but are unreliable. You have to specifically ask for wired equipment, which is a different model, but they never offer that up front, and don't even offer it when troubleshooting.

My solution was to switch to Rogers (because Bell wouldn't match the deal after my 2-year Fibe deal was up), bridge the modem, and use Apple Airport Extremes on a wired network instead.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
*hugs Unifi*
madara wrote: I do not rely on the router functionality of the provider modems anymore.
Any more? I haven't since pretty much the first week after I got something that wasn't dialup...
EugW wrote: What makes it even worse is that their wireless Fibe TV receivers don't even officially support a wired connection, even though they have an Ethernet port They can be made to work on wired, but are unreliable. You have to specifically ask for wired equipment, which is a different model, but they never offer that up front, and don't even offer it when troubleshooting.
See if you were to leave out the word "Ethernet" in your post, I would 100% think you're talking about Wifi.
What is this? Bizarro world?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 21, 2009
83 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The fact that you have 28 wireless devices is probably what’s crippling you. Current version of 802.11 doesn’t allow for multiple points talking at the same moment. If your lights had a hub and that hub was connected, you’d be better off. Also check your channels.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Get yourself a router or a mesh system.

I run a mesh system and it's fantastic. I have a minimum of 58 connected devices and a max if everything is on about 80. I have no issues ever since swtiching to a Mesh setup

You can get a dual or triple band router. Separate the 5ghz and 2.4ghz into two separate ssid. Connect all your smart devices to the 2.4 and specially use the 5ghz for the devices that you specially need
Dec 24, 2011
151 posts
35 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
r1lee wrote: Get yourself a router or a mesh system.

I run a mesh system and it's fantastic. I have a minimum of 58 connected devices and a max if everything is on about 80. I have no issues ever since swtiching to a Mesh setup

You can get a dual or triple band router. Separate the 5ghz and 2.4ghz into two separate ssid. Connect all your smart devices to the 2.4 and specially use the 5ghz for the devices that you specially need
Are you with Bell or Rogers? I've been reading that it isnt easy to add an outside mesh system to Bell as you cant put the modem in bridge mode?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1126 posts
1028 upvotes
Invest in good routers. One for each floor. Make sure you are hard wiring directly from the modem to each router. Do some research on the best routers for reliability and speed.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Dec 21, 2009
83 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AtticGoo wrote: Invest in good routers. One for each floor. Make sure you are hard wiring directly from the modem to each router. Do some research on the best routers for reliability and speed.
Do not invest in multiple routers, you want access points. This person is right, and should follow his own advice and do some research!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
iTomHD wrote: Are you with Bell or Rogers? I've been reading that it isnt easy to add an outside mesh system to Bell as you cant put the modem in bridge mode?
that's interesting, then what you can do is leave the bell router as is and disable the Wifi of the Bell router. Now run a cable from the Bell router to the WAN port of the router and use the router's wifi signal.

Pretty simple to be honest.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1942 posts
1746 upvotes
Center of the univer…
r1lee wrote: that's interesting, then what you can do is leave the bell router as is and disable the Wifi of the Bell router. Now run a cable from the Bell router to the WAN port of the router and use the router's wifi signal.

Pretty simple to be honest.
I don't think there is an option to completely turn off wifi maybe because fibe tv wireless receiver relies on it and they don't want people to accidentally turn it off... So I just left it on and run a mesh network beside it... Probably would work better without interference from the bell router but better than nothing
Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1126 posts
1028 upvotes
Jabo wrote: Do not invest in multiple routers, you want access points. This person is right, and should follow his own advice and do some research!
Wireless routers ARE access points. What am I missing here?
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Dec 21, 2009
83 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AtticGoo wrote: Wireless routers ARE access points. What am I missing here?
Yes, but they’re also routers, and that’s your problem. One per network. Which is why I specifically said access point.

A consumer all in one, the router you find on a shelf at Best Buy, normally are decent for most. There’s much better kit, that is and only is what it’s designed for. An access point is one. A router is another. Also a switch.