Shopping Discussion

Bell FIBETV $19.95 = Misleading, scam, scandalous, etc.

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2011 11:16 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Bell FIBETV $19.95 = Misleading, scam, scandalous, etc.

Well, it's marketing so it's pretty much a given. Anyway, last month my bill for Fibe25 internet was $160.49 Ridiculous to say the least.

I used 500GB so I paid the $60 surcharge so that explains the price but even if I stayed below the 155GB threshold, I would still be paying close to $90. For the service of Fibe25, it's roughly $77 and change before the %50 discount. I just called in to add 2 more services, basic FibeTV with 2 tv terminals $25 and basic phone service to get the bundle deal and my monthly charge will be $84.87+ tax. So for the initiated who didn't call in for their 50% discount, they can get 2 more services for a paltry $7 more, again ridiculous.

In January though the price will increase to $80 if you go over 155GB so I'll have to watch my surfing habits.
14 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
217 upvotes
Surrey
Supercooled wrote: Well, it's marketing so it's pretty much a given. Anyway, last month my bill for Fibe25 internet was $160.49 Ridiculous to say the least.

I used 500GB so I paid the $60 surcharge so that explains the price but even if I stayed below the 155GB threshold, I would still be paying close to $90. For the service of Fibe25, it's roughly $77 and change before the %50 discount. I just called in to add 2 more services, basic FibeTV with 2 tv terminals $25 and basic phone service to get the bundle deal and my monthly charge will be $84.87+ tax. So for the initiated who didn't call in for their 50% discount, they can get 2 more services for a paltry $7 more, again ridiculous.

In January though the price will increase to $80 if you go over 155GB so I'll have to watch my surfing habits.

So...what's your point? If you don't like the prices, why did you sign up for the plan in the first place?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
9051 posts
2348 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: So...what's your point? If you don't like the prices, why did you sign up for the plan in the first place?

Agreed, this thread is much more misleading...
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6142 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
Supercooled wrote: In January though the price will increase to $80 if you go over 155GB so I'll have to watch my surfing habits.

if you're going over 155GB it's not your surfing habits you need to limit.

The only thing misleading here is your thread title.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6631 posts
1298 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I used 500GB ......................

You can stop right there. That's about 10 times what most users download. No sympathy whatsoever.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2006
4345 posts
562 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Your title is very misleading.

You went over...simple.

They state overage fee's etc on deal, those little *,#'s, etc.. with small print below...


now how much of that overage was legal downlaods/usage.....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
2739 posts
316 upvotes
Why are you always posting these Bell threads and complaining about them when you can just switch companies? You're just giving them more money. It also seems like you plan to stay with them lol
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
theguyz wrote: Your title is very misleading.

You went over...simple.

They state overage fee's etc on deal, those little *,#'s, etc.. with small print below...


now how much of that overage was legal downlaods/usage.....

I'm not even talking about my excessive bandwidth though. Bell says you get a whole home PVR but then charge you $5 for every terminal. They need to be clear about PVR and receiver terminology instead of misleading people into thinking you get whole home service for the advertised price.

@Navyseals I am sticking with Bell because Teksavvy's price isn't even that much better; at least not after you've applied the 50% discount. Also they do not offer IPTV. Yeah, 500GB but going from $30 to $60 and now $80? Just advertise it as unlimited for $130 Fibe25 then.
Newbie
Nov 26, 2006
96 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
If you want something to be cheesed about, try living in the North. I pay $65.00/month for 3 GB of usage. Yes 3 GB, that's it. I'm with SSI Micro (Qiniq), which drop your internet to dial up speed when you go over your limit. If you really want to pay through the nose you can go with Northwestel (part of Bell) who requires you to buy a land line (no dry loops) for $50.00 + whatever internet package you want. When you go over with Northwestel they charge you by MB. Newbies usually get bills in the $100's and sometimes the $1000 of dollars. So enjoy whatever internet package you have, because up here all we have is the internot.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1220 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I'm not even talking about my excessive bandwidth though. Bell says you get a whole home PVR but then charge you $5 for every terminal. They need to be clear about PVR and receiver terminology instead of misleading people into thinking you get whole home service for the advertised price.

Why didn't you just say that then?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2006
4345 posts
562 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Misleading?????? as stated:

From bell website....... fibe tv, bottom click "Offer Details"

Fibe TV

Available to residential customers in select residential dwellings in Ontario where technology permits. If on contract, early termination fees apply. Receivers may be new or refurbished at Bell's option. Requires subscription to Bell Fibe Internet (6, 12 or 16+) or Essential Plus. Where applicable, monthly prices include a fee of 1.5% to fund Bell's contribution to the CRTC's Local Programming Improvement Fund (LPIF); see bell.ca/LPIF. LPIF will be itemized separately on your Bell invoice. As of December 11, 2011, e-bill will be provided at no cost and paper bill will be available for $2/mo. Subject to change without notice; not combinable with other offers. Taxes extra. May not be as shown. Other conditions apply.

(1) Each additional TV requires one HD receiver ($5.53/mo. Rental choice or $199 purchase).

****** Its the 1st bloody comment about $5 per receiver.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
2739 posts
316 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I'm not even talking about my excessive bandwidth though. Bell says you get a whole home PVR but then charge you $5 for every terminal. They need to be clear about PVR and receiver terminology instead of misleading people into thinking you get whole home service for the advertised price.

@Navyseals I am sticking with Bell because Teksavvy's price isn't even that much better; at least not after you've applied the 50% discount. Also they do not offer IPTV. Yeah, 500GB but going from $30 to $60 and now $80? Just advertise it as unlimited for $130 Fibe25 then.


Well I mean why not just switch to Rogers. They have this going on right now. http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedB ... faultPlans
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
skysong wrote: If you want something to be cheesed about, try living in the North. I pay $65.00/month for 3 GB of usage. Yes 3 GB, that's it. I'm with SSI Micro (Qiniq), which drop your internet to dial up speed when you go over your limit. If you really want to pay through the nose you can go with Northwestel (part of Bell) who requires you to buy a land line (no dry loops) for $50.00 + whatever internet package you want. When you go over with Northwestel they charge you by MB. Newbies usually get bills in the $100's and sometimes the $1000 of dollars. So enjoy whatever internet package you have, because up here all we have is the internot.

No offense, I just looked up your location on GM and I think future settlers on Mars would probably get better deals than you.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I put a crimp in some of you people's day with my posting. Sure, I might have saved a lot of you and certainly myself some aggravation if I read the fine print, but let's be honest, who actually does that. Guess I'm thankful I'm not in Iqaluit, NU. *shrugs*
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
188 upvotes
Gatineau
The reason unlimited is not offered any longer from the main companies is because of selfish users who hog bandwidth. It's not companies being greedy but selfish people who download way way too much or use their connection as a server. I am a pretty heavy down loader and have never approached 100 gigs in a month EVER. The "I'm paying for unlimited so I will hog all the bandwidth" is wrong and now we are paying the price.

Therefore OP you lost me at the 500 gig part of your post, I have no symphony for you at all. As others have stated, if you don't like the company you use....change. It is really that simple
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
exiledinottawa wrote: The reason unlimited is not offered any longer from the main companies is because of selfish users who hog bandwidth. It's not companies being greedy but selfish people who download way way too much or use their connection as a server. I am a pretty heavy down loader and have never approached 100 gigs in a month EVER. The "I'm paying for unlimited so I will hog all the bandwidth" is wrong and now we are paying the price.

Therefore OP you lost me at the 500 gig part of your post, I have no symphony for you at all. As others have stated, if you don't like the company you use....change. It is really that simple

I'm not going to justify my surfing habits which may seems obscene at face value but with the way the internet has been evolving with HD content leaving the procurement aspect aside, it's hard to stick with the archaic business models and still say nothing is wrong here. Initially it was a screed about the misleading advertising on FibeTV and the bandwidth issue was really just misdirected angst but anyway you look at it, the conglomerates in this Country are putting their best efforts to stifle the evolution of media consumption.

Just a week or so ago, there was report that some company in Canada was in a trial stage of offering a A La Carte style service and today, I read a report that Sony is thinking of doing the same through the internet pipeline with their own service. Clearly they are trying to think progressively and I hope they succeed much like how Apple did with their music distribution system.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)