• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2019 9:35 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1062 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal and good tips in this thread.

I've also found that Bell has been frequently raising prices. I've been Internet and Fibe TV in Toronto since they installed their fiber optics network on my street 3 years+ ago. They've raised TV by over $10 a month (total) and they've raised internet by $10 a month for me. So now my bill is $20 higher and I had to re-negotiate the expired credits back on. I'm paying hundreds of more dollars each year to Bell than I was when I signed up. So expect the rate to increase at 3% to 5% per year as you go, despite any credits or contracts in place.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2017
198 posts
162 upvotes
I had Roger gigabit and Bell at the same time to try them out,Surprisingly Bell Gigabit Internet was way better, no slowdowns and sudden connection losses.
With Rogers I had my outdoor Cam's loosing connection every day , Same happen to my coworker. So I kept Bell and I am really happy .
Sep 2, 2017
704 posts
650 upvotes
Ontario
Taxfax wrote: I had Roger gigabit and Bell at the same time to try them out,Surprisingly Bell Gigabit Internet was way better, no slowdowns and sudden connection losses.
With Rogers I had my outdoor Cam's loosing connection every day , Same happen to my coworker. So I kept Bell and I am really happy .
If your net is working fine, there's nothing in Canada better than Bells FTTH, 1-2 ping, always 900-944 upload and download, around 3 years now my connection dropped like for a max of 2 minute, with Rogers and Cogeco it's been a nightmare of calling tech and changing cables etc and still unreliable in the end.
Jan 19, 2017
410 posts
115 upvotes
Canada01Singapore wrote: Just remember to run various speed check from your computer and don’t use the bell speed check. I was getting full 1gbps to the modem but from the modem out I was only getting less than 200mbps . After months of talking to tech support and higher up the food chain I now get the full speed that I signed up for. From reading online there are lots of people with similar issues and those are just the ones that check and make sure they are getting what they are paying for. Now that the issue has been fixed bell has been great and I never thought I would say that in my life.
so what did the higher ups in the food chain do to fix your speed issues out of the modem? i get 1Gbps at the model as well, but my out of modem speeds are around 300-400Mbps.
Jul 26, 2018
970 posts
1167 upvotes
Canada, eh?
tkddad wrote: What kind of gift card is the $100?
Most likely a prepaid mastercard/visa
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10565 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga
Jimbo67 wrote: If your net is working fine, there's nothing in Canada better than Bells FTTH, 1-2 ping, always 900-944 upload and download, around 3 years now my connection dropped like for a max of 2 minute, with Rogers and Cogeco it's been a nightmare of calling tech and changing cables etc and still unreliable in the end.
Bell's technology is fantastic. Their offering is best-of-breed in Canada - internet is the fastest in many places, television is very very good, and phone is - well - a phone.

Bell's customer service is their huge Achilles heel. They are so devious and inept that it borders on corrupt business practices. I've been with them on two separate occasions, and in both cases, my bill never matched what was promised after the third month. One time, they conveniently "lost" my receivers that I returned to them and tried to charge me $800 for non-returned equipment. One time, they said that I had a bill from 10 years ago that wasn't paid (which I never received), and unless I paid the $47 outstanding balance, they wouldn't let me sign up for their service which would have been about $130 a month. I tried to explain to them that a) I didn't have an outstanding balance because I never had Bell service when they said I did, and b) it makes little sense to prevent me from signing up for their service for a significant amount of time and money for a piddly little bill from 10 years ago. Took three different agents of increasing seniority to figure that out.

I also find complaining to EVPs and above at Bell helps get the message across. Eventually.

If they just fixed their s***, they'd be able to crush the market.
4chan melts your brain.
Mar 25, 2005
917 posts
330 upvotes
St. Catharines ON
meemo wrote: (if the price goes up, promo credit goes up accordingly)
Same here. I couldn't believe it.
Dec 1, 2006
645 posts
67 upvotes
Any booth in west mississauga??
Oct 2, 2007
689 posts
218 upvotes
Montreal
I have this service at the moment. It was initially bundled in a package for cheap. When price increased, I didn't want to pay the full price so I cancelled everything except internet. They then wanted the full price. I said to cancel and surprise, they had a deal for me @ $69.99. I said yes. Then, I received a letter that they would increase my monthly price by 5$. Then, another bump not long after. Now, I'm close to 100$/month with taxes and am now thinking of switching... Bell is constant negotiating so if you're a patient person, a deal is possible. But I'm getting more and more impatient I guess... ;)
Jul 26, 2018
970 posts
1167 upvotes
Canada, eh?
danfromwaterloo wrote: Bell's technology is fantastic. Their offering is best-of-breed in Canada - internet is the fastest in many places, television is very very good, and phone is - well - a phone.

Bell's customer service is their huge Achilles heel. They are so devious and inept that it borders on corrupt business practices. I've been with them on two separate occasions, and in both cases, my bill never matched what was promised after the third month. One time, they conveniently "lost" my receivers that I returned to them and tried to charge me $800 for non-returned equipment. One time, they said that I had a bill from 10 years ago that wasn't paid (which I never received), and unless I paid the $47 outstanding balance, they wouldn't let me sign up for their service which would have been about $130 a month. I tried to explain to them that a) I didn't have an outstanding balance because I never had Bell service when they said I did, and b) it makes little sense to prevent me from signing up for their service for a significant amount of time and money for a piddly little bill from 10 years ago. Took three different agents of increasing seniority to figure that out.

I also find complaining to EVPs and above at Bell helps get the message across. Eventually.

If they just fixed their s***, they'd be able to crush the market.
Agreed 200%, I've posted this a while ago on RFD but some agent accidentally disconnected my internet from their system end so my FTTH stopped working, was on a 1Gbp at that time. Called in, ticket got escalated, said they fixed it but need a tech to hook it back up (?), tech is a no show.

Called in again, CSR frantically tries to get the service up again by filing an urgent work order, told her I've been out internet for 3 days already and if it doesn't work after this I'm cancelling. She told me no tech is required, just needs to connect me again in their system.

24 hours later, still no internet. Called in again, was told to wait...again.

Fast forward 7 days later without internet, still no internet. No tech in sight. Called in, cancelled, CSR didn't even bother to resolve the issue before processing the cancellation. On the same day, I was able to pick up a modem from Rogers and the internet running on the same day. Sadly, I have the 1Gbps plan but only getting 200-300Mbps.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I get a call from a Bell tech saying he's coming to fix the issue. Me: ??? I cancelled the service 2 weeks ago.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
tkddad wrote: What kind of gift card is the $100?
Visa credit gift card
[OP]
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
cloutid wrote: lucky you, they wouldn't budge at all for me, only giving me a 5$ credit hence making it 90$ for gigabit...
You have to confirm a termination to get them talking. Remember to get a termination email.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: Very detail, but how long this price last on your plan, 1 year?
Yes, I took the 12 months plan. Do the termination and get a real deal again next year.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
Growingupisold wrote: Looking at the image you attached the credit is listed as a "Limited-time offer". How is that an ongoing price?
I actually took the 12 months option coz I call every time they increase the price to get the real deal. Or Roger sometimes. I do want to get the on going option. Hard to decide.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2018
85 posts
118 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: What's your current package and when does your current promo expire?
This is my new home, new application for internet service