Computers & Electronics

Bell FTTH fibre internet access. Has anyone been able to negotiate decent discounts? Also, technical questions.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2017 3:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17334 posts
4086 upvotes
Toronto

Bell FTTH fibre internet access. Has anyone been able to negotiate decent discounts? Also, technical questions.

I've just noticed that Bell has started offering true fibre lines to the home now in my low density neighbourhood composed of detached homes. The options are:

150/50 250 GB: $95
300/100 750 GB: $105
1000/100 unlimited: $150

It seems to me the best bang for the buck out of the three is the 300/100 service, but $105 is still more than I'd like to pay. Has anyone been able to negotiate non-bundled deals on this?

How has your service been like on FTTH from Bell? Is it noticeably more stable and consistent than FTTN Bell Fibe or cable internet?

What happens to your landline service if you go with FTTH? I assume that if you need it, they can just put in an adapter to give you the equivalent of landline service, as I've been told before that once you go with FTTH, you lose your physical landline connection. So what do you do if you terminate your FTTH service with Bell and want to go with VDSL later with a 3rd party (for cost reasons)?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2512 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do they rip out the copper wire from the POTS and replace it with fiber, or do they run in along side?
My in-laws have a lot of work being done in their neighbourhood by company contracted to BELL.
In the past when there are power outages, Bell POTS is still going strong.. Does that change if it's FIBER to the home?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2086 posts
947 upvotes
Saint John
mobifree wrote: Do they rip out the copper wire from the POTS and replace it with fiber, or do they run in along side?
My in-laws have a lot of work being done in their neighbourhood by company contracted to BELL.
In the past when there are power outages, Bell POTS is still going strong.. Does that change if it's FIBER to the home?
If it's the same as the Bell Aliant FTTH service in Atlantic Canada, they install a UPS that will give you landline for a limited amount of time in the case of a power outage. All the data comes into your home on one fibre optic line. They can interface that with the POTS wiring in your home so that it's pretty much transparent to the user.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17334 posts
4086 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote: Do they rip out the copper wire from the POTS and replace it with fiber, or do they run in along side?
Well, in my case, the POTS is buried, and the for the fibre installs, they're overhead, as they go along the telephone poles. So the entry point may actually be different in the house. However, I have been told for some US installs of fibre, they actually removed the copper line at the entry point in the house. Wire is still there outside, but it'd have to be physically rewired to get legacy POTS back.

I don't actually know what Bell does here in Toronto, which is why I'm asking. Is there no going back? ie. If you get fibre, does that mean you'll never be able to get VDSL again unless it's with Bell or with a Bell fibre optic reseller (which currently doesn't exist in my neighbourhood).

BTW, I just noticed that for my neighbourhood the Fibe 50 isn't the usual 50/10. It's 50/50 service, and the agent says it's fibre optic to the home. Interesting. Unlimited bandwidth too, for $64.95 which isn't half bad. The main problem though is that it's only for 2 years.