Computers & Electronics

Bell Home Hub 3000 poor ethernet performance

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2021 4:39 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 7, 2013
90 posts
65 upvotes

Bell Home Hub 3000 poor ethernet performance

Hey everyone;
Just had Bell Fibe 1GB installed yesterday, and I'm having issues with the ethernet speeds. Was on the phone with a Bell tech who could only offer to wait 24 hours.

Problem:

I'm getting poor (max 150Mbps from Ookla, fast, Google, etc) downloads. My uploads hit around 400Mbps to 700Mbps in the same tests, so uploads seem fine. These numbers are consistent no matter how often I try. same results on my Desktop PC (2.5GB capable Intel nic), and my Google Wifi network test (the Wifi pod is wired to the HH3000).

Steps I used to test:

- I still have Rogers 1GB installed here. I run the same tests on the Hitron modem for Rogers and my download speeds hit 700Mbps download consistently on both my PC and the Google Wifi network test
- I manually set the ethernet speeds in the HH3000 to 1000Mbps, and also set to full duplex. Same results as the default "Auto" (I changed these settings one at a time).
- If I use wireless on the HH3000, my downloads hit about 500-700Mbps, which is much faster than ethernet
- tried a variety of Cat5e and Cat 6 cables, or varying lengths of 20ft to 3ft in length
- changed the ethernet adapter settings in Windows manually to 1000Mbps and full duplex (I don't think my Google wifi pod has this ability so I could only test on the PC).
- tried different ethernet ports on the HH3000
- ensured Win10 PC drivers up to date.

Am I missing anything obvious? It seems like the HH3000 is running at 10Mpbs or lower on the ethernet ports. Using my Rogers Hitron modem/router alleviates there issues, so I think something is up on the HH3000 and how its negotiating the ethernet speeds. I think I have ruled out issues with my network cards and cables.
8 replies
Sr. Member
Apr 18, 2017
768 posts
1539 upvotes
Try unplugging the Fiber line in the wall and re plugging it back in. Solved my issue that was exactly like what you are having.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1744 posts
2763 upvotes
Canada, eh?
If you're still having issues after trying out the recommendation above, I'd suggest you contact the tech again. The fiber line might have been tugged or ripped partially.

Had this happen to me right after installation, the optic cable is very fragile.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3584 posts
3447 upvotes
Montreal
Try to log into your modem and do the speed test there. If you don't get the expected download/upload speed then call Bell.

http://192.168.2.1/?c=speedtest

For example, Bell Fibe 300 (300Mbps up / 300Mbps down)
Image
Newbie
Jan 20, 2021
2 posts
octavianredflagdeals wrote: Hey everyone;
Just had Bell Fibe 1GB installed yesterday, and I'm having issues with the ethernet speeds. Was on the phone with a Bell tech who could only offer to wait 24 hours.

Problem:

I'm getting poor (max 150Mbps from Ookla, fast, Google, etc) downloads. My uploads hit around 400Mbps to 700Mbps in the same tests, so uploads seem fine. These numbers are consistent no matter how often I try. same results on my Desktop PC (2.5GB capable Intel nic), and my Google Wifi network test (the Wifi pod is wired to the HH3000).

Steps I used to test:

- I still have Rogers 1GB installed here. I run the same tests on the Hitron modem for Rogers and my download speeds hit 700Mbps download consistently on both my PC and the Google Wifi network test
- I manually set the ethernet speeds in the HH3000 to 1000Mbps, and also set to full duplex. Same results as the default "Auto" (I changed these settings one at a time).
- If I use wireless on the HH3000, my downloads hit about 500-700Mbps, which is much faster than ethernet
- tried a variety of Cat5e and Cat 6 cables, or varying lengths of 20ft to 3ft in length
- changed the ethernet adapter settings in Windows manually to 1000Mbps and full duplex (I don't think my Google wifi pod has this ability so I could only test on the PC).
- tried different ethernet ports on the HH3000
- ensured Win10 PC drivers up to date.

Am I missing anything obvious? It seems like the HH3000 is running at 10Mpbs or lower on the ethernet ports. Using my Rogers Hitron modem/router alleviates there issues, so I think something is up on the HH3000 and how its negotiating the ethernet speeds. I think I have ruled out issues with my network cards and cables.
Hey, have you finally resolved your issue? I’m having a similar experienced.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 7, 2013
90 posts
65 upvotes
Antonio562 wrote: Hey, have you finally resolved your issue? I’m having a similar experienced.
My issue got resolved but not completely sure why. I had complained to support several times and they accessed the modem and did checks, etc. There is a chance they did something to fix it but I never fixed it myself.
Newbie
Jan 20, 2021
2 posts
Thanks for the quick response. Had mine installed on Tuesday, spent about 6 hours with bell support on the phone without success, a technician is suppose to visit tomorrow- really frustrated... they already told me on their end, it looks fine .
Newbie
Mar 24, 2021
1 posts
They probably updated your models firmware.

I was getting about 160 down, and 700up with gigabit internet. The download it's now 900+mb

The only issue now is that through Wifi I'll get my upload speeds almost in full... But through Ethernet directly connected I get 900 down and now 30 up?

Can the Home Hub 3000 only output 1000gps total? Meaning that I can either get 1 gig up OR down, not both? If so.... They should change their advertising
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17944 posts
4353 upvotes
Toronto
RandomH2000 wrote: They probably updated your models firmware.

I was getting about 160 down, and 700up with gigabit internet. The download it's now 900+mb

The only issue now is that through Wifi I'll get my upload speeds almost in full... But through Ethernet directly connected I get 900 down and now 30 up?

Can the Home Hub 3000 only output 1000gps total? Meaning that I can either get 1 gig up OR down, not both? If so.... They should change their advertising
Looks like something is wrong. I have 500 Mbps service with Bell and my iPad Air 2 gets decent upload speed over wifi. I get much higher upload speeds using Ethernet.
Images
  • 4DDA9A11-D7F2-4723-A65B-BD3103DB9B90.jpeg

Top