Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Home Phone - be sure you are not on the 'legacy' plans..NO MORE TOUCHTONE charge

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2016 9:35 am
Deal Guru
Dec 30, 2004
12789 posts
782 upvotes
Toronto
my 1 year ended last month... will see if I get anything this week..

$10 off for 6 months here as well...
May 23, 2002
88 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough
Now on Rogers Home Phone basic for $10/month for 2 years (probably a promotion for being a Rogers TV customer). Wanted to stay with Bell but their pathetic discounts and ongoing raising rates/fees which negate their small discounts further makes it pointless. Although I think having a Bell land line is most clear/reliable ... but at what COST???
Feb 11, 2014
20 posts
4 upvotes
GILFORD
allchan wrote:
Jun 15th, 2014 7:52 am
Now on Rogers Home Phone basic for $10/month for 2 years (probably a promotion for being a Rogers TV customer). Wanted to stay with Bell but their pathetic discounts and ongoing raising rates/fees which negate their small discounts further makes it pointless. Although I think having a Bell land line is most clear/reliable ... but at what COST???
Have only Rogers Basic Cable. Recently got letter from Rogers offering "Home Phone Essentials" @ $9.99/mo "Includes all monthly fees". They say they would "take care of all the details with your current provider". The fine print says "One-time installation fee $49.99" which would probably be a deal killer for me. Anyone able to get the fee waived? I suppose I could just call and ask but I really hate having to deal with them.
May 23, 2002
88 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough
Haliman wrote:
Jun 17th, 2014 10:57 am
Have only Rogers Basic Cable. Recently got letter from Rogers offering "Home Phone Essentials" @ $9.99/mo "Includes all monthly fees". They say they would "take care of all the details with your current provider". The fine print says "One-time installation fee $49.99" which would probably be a deal killer for me. Anyone able to get the fee waived? I suppose I could just call and ask but I really hate having to deal with them.
Now that I recall ... I received the same letter and called and asked them if they can waive the $49.99 fee. They put me on hold for a bit, then said they have to charge the $49.99 fee BUT either the following month or 3 months later they would credit $49.99 back to my account ... which I have accepted. Just monitor your invoice later to confirm if they had credited you back.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1286 posts
334 upvotes
Halton
ok, going to switch to Ooma -my deal ended in Dec and I have no interest in having to call them every 6 months for a deal that they should be giving me anyway (I have basic phone and NOTHING extra with bell so I am sure they don't value me anyway)

a little apprehensive about VOIP but a buddy has it (with Ooma) and no complaints... $5 a month essentially and with $140 in upfront fees ($99 for costco and $40 to keep my phone number) puts me as "ahead $100 year one" or break even by month 8 (assuming a $24 monthly bell bill)
Feb 26, 2015
2 posts
Hamilton
I also have their cheapest phone package. I called today wanting to reduce my bill & he offered me something called an access line. That's not on their website! $18.20/month, plus tax. Maybe they don't want us to know about it.
Jun 6, 2006
16 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Hey RFDers,

Help!

I haven't had a plain old telephone service line since 2003, but have to get one now for work because I'm working from home more, and VOIP calls don't cut it and the cell keeps dropping.

Any recent tips / promos to suggest?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16422 posts
8750 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Twotouch wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 4:05 pm
Any recent tips / promos to suggest?
It's hard to make any suggestions if you keep your location a secret. (Hint: There's a Location field in your Profile.)

That said, assuming you want a real landline (aka POTS—Plain Old Telephone Service) and you're in most parts of ON your only option is Bhell. (It's probably Telus in BC/AB, etc. based on province.) TekSavvy is a wholesaler for Bhell. They offer somewhat lower prices as well as in-Canada customer service by people who care (as opposed to Bhell's customer abuse by people who don't.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 6, 2006
16 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks - yes, in Toronto (you know, since 2006 - I never even noticed I forgot to fill in the location field. Wierd).

And yes, would need to be POTS. I need guaranteed quality of service, and the occasional blips on VOIP would be a deal killer :(

bylo wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 4:28 pm
It's hard to make any suggestions if you keep your location a secret. (Hint: There's a Location field in your Profile.)

That said, assuming you want a real landline (aka POTS—Plain Old Telephone Service) and you're in most parts of ON your only option is Bhell. (It's probably Telus in BC/AB, etc. based on province.) TekSavvy is a wholesaler for Bhell. They offer somewhat lower prices as well as in-Canada customer service by people who care (as opposed to Bhell's customer abuse by people who don't.)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16422 posts
8750 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Twotouch wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 8:06 pm
yes, in Toronto... yes, would need to be POTS. I need guaranteed quality of service
In that case your only options are either Bhell directly or via TekSavvy. An exception to that is if you live in a new development, e.g. a CityPlace condo tower, where the builder has cut a deal with another telco for landline and Internet service.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2732 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 9:07 pm
In that case your only options are either Bhell directly or via TekSavvy. An exception to that is if you live in a new development, e.g. a CityPlace condo tower, where the builder has cut a deal with another telco for landline and Internet service.
How about this company? :arrow: http://telnetcommunications.com/residential/phone
Jun 15, 2015
1 posts
l69norm wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 6:25 pm
This is a Bell scam. Be very careful. There are 2 kinds of Bell phone lines. Regulated lines have rules and rates set by the crtc. Deregulated lines are free to any increase or rules change Bell wants to set in the future.

Touchtone charge means its a regulated line. Bell would dearly like to move everyone from regulated service to deregulated lines which is why home phone lite is so cheap.

You just moved off regulated service and onto the deregulated line. At some later date, bell can unilaterally increase rates on deregulated lines with no crtc approval or even charge extra porting out fees

If you are on regulated service, look at other carriers first before giving up your rights by going onto bells deregulated services
Bell Residence Line including Touch-Tone, 911 emergency access and taxes in:
2008 $24.60
2011 $27.36
2012 $30.79
2013 $34.22
2015 $34.63

So it's gone up $10 in 7 years according to my bank records and I'm assuming these are CRTC approved price increases? I never took advantage of Bells carrot several years ago and denied their attempts to change my service since then. The words “Residence Line” still appear on my bill and beside it $27.70. I'm asking because a friend that did grab the carrot back in 2012 with Home Phone Lite and watched as his carrot got smaller and smaller just got a notice of a 15% increase from his current $33.96 total to just under $45 in August.

My question is have I escaped this mess by remaining on a “regulated line”?
Aug 9, 2010
188 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
SherryV833 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 6:43 pm
I also have their cheapest phone package. I called today wanting to reduce my bill & he offered me something called an access line. That's not on their website! $18.20/month, plus tax. Maybe they don't want us to know about it.
What is access line? Is it the same as Residential line I see on my bill?
Feb 26, 2015
2 posts
Hamilton
The wording on my bill hasn't changed at all. Residence line, but it's the lower price he gave me originally. I had never heard of it before. I don't know how to help you other than calling them & asking about it. Anything to save a few bucks, huh?
Aug 9, 2010
188 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
My bill in May still showed touch tone charge and this charge is miraculously disappeared and it's consolidated the amount to Residential line.
So they'll tell you they've removed the touch tone charge but in fact it's still charged in your Residential line.
Such Scammers!
You bet I'll be calling them. It'll be nice to drop from $30+tax to $18+tax!!