• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2021 1:01 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2021
7 posts
1 upvote

Bell Internet/Home Hub 3000 Problem

Hello Friends,

We're desperate for some advice. After signing up for a Bell Fibe 150 internet connection early this year, the modem (Home Hub 3000) would randomly reboot several times a day. After multiple technician visits who replaced the modem and power supply, the problem continued. Then, a tech remotely split our signal into 5G and 2.4G. Somehow, after a few days, the problem resolved itself.

Early June, the problem of random reboots resumed. Bell tech said it was due to an update to the software. He made some changes, didn't help. Then another suggested changing modems, but this didn't help either. Yesterday, another tech came and changed the modem again (giving us a brand new one, not refurbished) and also moved the modem from the bedroom to the living room.

The problem is still continuing. The modem rebooted multiple times last night, and again today.

I spoke to Bell again today, they are unable to see any problem at their end. They are sending a tech over tomorrow and he will wait for the modem to start rebooting so he can actually see what we are complaining about.

To rule out a power issue, we have plugged the modem into many different outlets on different circuits. We also tried it in a UPS/battery backup and the modem continued to reboot. So we don't think it is a power issue.

Needless to say, I work from home and this has been most frustrating.

Any advice as to what the problem could be?

(I found a post on Reddit, where the OP had the same problem. Apparently, it was resolved when the tech changed the port on the DSLAAM. What does this mean? The Bell agent I spoke to seemed clueless, and brushed it off saying that it must be LAN.)

Also, the TDSB gave us a MiFi Hotspot (wireless Rogers internet) for my children to use for school. Since last week, we have only been able to use the service briefly because, within a few minutes of connecting to it, it automatically blocks any and all devices from using it. I havent yet been able to talk to Rogers because of the long wait times.

Are the two problems somehow related? Is something interfering with wifi signals in our apartment?

Thanks
10 replies
May 7, 2015
455 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So my story won’t help you.

I bought one of those yi cameras years ago. I found that the minute I plugged it into power. The wifi in my house would die.

Nothing in my house would connect to internet via wifi. Strangest thing, could never explain it . But I still have the camera kicking around somewhere. I’ve always wanted to take it into work or a friends house just to mess with people and to confirm I am not crazy
Jan 12, 2007
409 posts
218 upvotes
You're in a tough spot:
I had similar problems with a HH2000 but it was resolved by replacing the modem with a HH3000.
The problem could very well be on the other end (DSLAM .. Bell equipment) but techs generally don't like to swap those cards.
I don't believe the issue is with anything inside your home, it has nothing to do with the MiFi hotspot.

How do you know the modem is rebooting vs just losing sync ?
I had a loose wire once which was causing me to randomly lose sync.
Mar 5, 2018
304 posts
131 upvotes
I had the exact same reboot problem. They have changed a new modem for me but still having the problem. After many tries, one technician tried to reset the modem and reconfigured it manually, he found at the same time there were many connection errors PPoE or something, he thought it was the profile. Later, I bought an UPS for the modem and it stays stable for several months now. Sometimes I hear the UPS makes a click noise like the power was shutoff. You may try to reset your modem to the factory default setting and reconfigure it. Make sure you have your modem Login ID and password.
[OP]
May 17, 2021
7 posts
1 upvote
TomShopper wrote: I had the exact same reboot problem. They have changed a new modem for me but still having the problem. After many tries, one technician tried to reset the modem and reconfigured it manually, he found at the same time there were many connection errors PPoE or something, he thought it was the profile. Later, I bought an UPS for the modem and it stays stable for several months now. Sometimes I hear the UPS makes a click noise like the power was shutoff. You may try to reset your modem to the factory default setting and reconfigure it. Make sure you have your modem Login ID and password.
Thanks, I will try the factory reset if the tech visit tomorrow does not help. Currently, it reboots even though in a UPS
[OP]
May 17, 2021
7 posts
1 upvote
TAZ99 wrote: You're in a tough spot:
I had similar problems with a HH2000 but it was resolved by replacing the modem with a HH3000.
The problem could very well be on the other end (DSLAM .. Bell equipment) but techs generally don't like to swap those cards.
I don't believe the issue is with anything inside your home, it has nothing to do with the MiFi hotspot.

How do you know the modem is rebooting vs just losing sync ?
I had a loose wire once which was causing me to randomly lose sync.
Thanks.

The modem displays this message " your modem will now restart". So I guess this confirms it is rebooting?
Feb 9, 2008
370 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Are you changing the password to the same one every time you get a new hub or reset it?
Any chance a neighbour got ahold of your password and is messing with you?

When the hub is replaced, do they also swap the power adapter?

Someone else on reddit got their issue fixed by having the SSLAM replaced.
Mar 5, 2018
304 posts
131 upvotes
It seems the modem reboot problem is very well known with Bell. I remember that the technician has found so many PPPoE error, he talked about that I didn't have TV service but the modem tried to connect. Another one told me that in my sector there might be an overload or something that made the modem reboot. It's really crazy as I work from home too.
By the way, my modem is HomeHub 2000, not the 3000. Tomorrow I'll try to replug the old modem, it's also an HomeHub 2000 but it has better Port Forwarding option (you can have different external ports forward to same internal port). I wish my contract finish soon so I can switch to Videotron as Bell can only provide 50/10 speed in my sector.
[OP]
May 17, 2021
7 posts
1 upvote
Hello,

An update..Bell changed my modem to the HH 4000. This did not help.

Then a tech changed the splitter in the Bell room in my building's basement (dont know if this is the same as changing the port). This helped for two days, then the problem restarted.

Now Bell insists that there is nothing more they can do, and that its a power issue (we are using a UPS, so I dont know how it could be a power issue. Also, an electrician was here last week and found no problem).

Thanks
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15694 posts
4074 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have a alarm system in the house? If it uses the the phone line, it can cause disconnects as the alarm system needs to control the line at times. To get around this, you might needs a pots adaptor or a separate fiber relay.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks
Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22475 posts
3763 upvotes
Toronto
do you only have Bell internet or also have TV services?

If only Bell internet - how badly do you want to stick with Bell? Because you can purchase a SFP to RJ45 media converter & eliminate the Bell Home Hub altogether - but you need the media converter hardware & your own router / wifi....need to be a bit technical

More info here:
please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-y ... #p30992948

One recommended SFP media converter (TpLink):
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATL0/ref ... xEbYTDBQWX

Fellow RFDer posted on Reddit his journey to take the Bell HH3000 out of the equation:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bell/comments/ ... ll_hh3000/

Or maybe it is easier to go to Rogers / Fido internet - see what offers are currently available?