Shopping Discussion

Bell Internet + TV cable deal, Fair monthly rate???

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 2:34 am
Jun 1, 2017
12 posts
Hamilton

Bell Internet + TV cable deal, Fair monthly rate???

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right section as I am new here but if not, can a moderator move it to the right section, please?

I have seen everyone hates bell around here and I can get to understand why lol.

So I have been having only internet service from bell, Fibe25 unlimited $65, no contract for the past 4 years. That rate cost me a lot of phone calls to their customer service though. I didn't need tv because I stream everything.

Now I am moving in with my fiance and we agreed to bring my internet and dump her cogeco service (even more expensive), but she wanted to include the TV cable.

So the new deal is something like:
Cable TV (the customer service guy said it wasn't the basic cable) + Internet fibe 50, unlimited. With 2 years contract = $135. To start on June 28, date that I move in.

I can't sleep at nights LOL because I am not sure if I am getting into something I may regret, or if it is a good deal. And if my bad feelings are right, I think that cancel that with no penalty before june 28th, right? (I didn't ask this).

I feel like I am not getting a customer loyalty deal.
28 replies
May 26, 2014
216 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Hi, Im currently paying Telus $60 for Unlimited 100(they don't support 150 is my neighborhood). Suggest you have a look at shaw.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2300 posts
2175 upvotes
Laval, QC
"Cable TV (the customer service guy said it wasn't the basic cable) + Internet fibe 50, unlimited. With 2 years contract = $135. To start on June 28, date that I move in."

$135 for the bundle sounds a bit expensive, last year Bell had a $89.95 deal for fibe 25 and TV bundle
usually, you can always ask for $10 credit for the first 3 months as well
Jun 1, 2017
12 posts
Hamilton
Thanks for the hint @jasonD983, I will have a look at shaw. Haven't heard of that one before. Hopefully they have in my new location.

@karlmtl, agree, that is what I am seeing, like a bit too expensive. As well, I saw that bell was giving for $99 Internet + TV cable. I feel like new customers are getting better deals than me lol
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Hamilton is an interesting place. The late great Mountain cable is being maintained by Shaw, while the rest of Hamilton gets Rogers.
(I hope this is current news, lol I have not kept an eye on Hamilton in a while...)

If you're stuck with Shaw for cable, I'm not sure what to tell you, but I do know that Rogers has some great deals...but they'll try to get you to switch your cell over to them as well...3 services gets a bonus 8% discount on top of the bundled price.
(add a landline if desired, and it jumps to a 12% discount for having 4 services with them)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
May 3, 2017
1 posts
If that's the best they can do for you I'd recommend putting the services under your fiancé as a new customer and going with their $99 deal.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1109 posts
120 upvotes
Burlington
playnicee1 wrote: Hamilton is an interesting place. The late great Mountain cable is being maintained by Shaw, while the rest of Hamilton gets Rogers.
(I hope this is current news, lol I have not kept an eye on Hamilton in a while...)

Nope... there are huge chunks of Hamilton (most, if not all, of the lower city) that are still Cogeco territory!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Rogers, Bell, etc they are all essentially the same IMO

Home Internet, Tv and basic Landline (if you have one) should not add up to more than $ 150 tops ($ 125 is more realistic)
And that would be Tv with all the channels & a PVR Box (and maybe an extra reg box or 2)

If you don't have the Landline or the Internet
Then the top of the line Tv package should not cost more than $ 100 period

If you are a longtime Customer call their Loyalty Desk
(you have to negotiate your deal over the phone & get it set up on your account before it is activated / installed)

If no one wants to "play ball"... Shop around

Don't be afraid to switch

We have not paid more than $ 125 for Tv & Internet for the last 10 years... But they have certainly tried every time there is an upgrade to services
Ya technology improves, but so does the price drop on older stuff... It's a balancing act with one offsetting the other

We renegotiate regularly
When something new comes out we may go up to $ 125 for a time, but if no further changes are made, when they jack the bill up to $ 150 (promo over) we call them back and inevitably get it back down to that sweet spot closer to $ 100
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Home Internet, Tv and basic Landline (if you have one) should not add up to more than $ 150 tops ($ 125 is more realistic)
If you're okay with not having the most current model cell phone, (ie an LG G4 instead of the newest LG G6) all four services combined, including tax can easily come to no more than $210 with Rogers.
(Add $10 for unlimited internet, if desired...depending on actual use)
I'm very happy with my Nextbox 3.0 and Rogers does not charge the $24.99 rental fee on my current bundle.
(3.0 box lets me record two shows while I watch a third one...2.0 won't do that)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
davidhkkim9869 wrote: If that's the best they can do for you I'd recommend putting the services under your fiancé as a new customer and going with their $99 deal.
Or call and demand the $99 deal. Tell them you are planning on cancelling. (PS. I just gave Bell a piece of my mind an hour ago, and they brought my monthly charge back down for another year.)
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Mar 10, 2011
570 posts
501 upvotes
Niagara
badboo wrote: Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right section as I am new here but if not, can a moderator move it to the right section, please?

I have seen everyone hates bell around here and I can get to understand why lol.

So I have been having only internet service from bell, Fibe25 unlimited $65, no contract for the past 4 years. That rate cost me a lot of phone calls to their customer service though. I didn't need tv because I stream everything.

Now I am moving in with my fiance and we agreed to bring my internet and dump her cogeco service (even more expensive), but she wanted to include the TV cable.

So the new deal is something like:
Cable TV (the customer service guy said it wasn't the basic cable) + Internet fibe 50, unlimited. With 2 years contract = $135. To start on June 28, date that I move in.

I can't sleep at nights LOL because I am not sure if I am getting into something I may regret, or if it is a good deal. And if my bad feelings are right, I think that cancel that with no penalty before june 28th, right? (I didn't ask this).

I feel like I am not getting a customer loyalty deal.
Did you try a mag254 on her. I managed to dump the tv part when I showed the wife the ease and convenience of the box. That "Fibe25 unlimited $65"is a great deal. You'll never get that back.
See sumtin'. Say sumtin'. ('less someone else already did)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: If you're okay with not having the most current model cell phone, (ie an LG G4 instead of the newest LG G6) all four services combined, including tax can easily come to no more than $210 with Rogers.
(Add $10 for unlimited internet, if desired...depending on actual use)
I'm very happy with my Nextbox 3.0 and Rogers does not charge the $24.99 rental fee on my current bundle.
(3.0 box lets me record two shows while I watch a third one...2.0 won't do that)
Ya our cellphone contracts are a separate entity (most companies do this... But they will give you a decent discount for loyalty to the brand on a 2 year contract)

We have the bigger Nextbox (up to 8 shows at once) and they just essentially waved the rental again for another year to get my bundle back around the $ 100 - $ 125 sweet spot

But to get around that, the line items on our bill does show a charge for our 2 other "dumb" cable boxes (IIRC its like $ 3 each). Not that I care... It's the bottom line TOTAL DUE that means the most, whatever they have to shuffle to make it happen is ok by me.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: whatever they have to shuffle to make it happen is ok by me.
You're lucky. I have a second nextbox (non record) that was billed @ $7.50 per month for 2 years, then $1 to own it.
Now Rogers has me (worse than a contract) because they know that their box is only good with Rogers cable.
Now I own the box with no further billing...hopefully nothing will ever go wrong with it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: (PS. I just gave Bell a piece of my mind an hour ago, and they brought my monthly charge back down for another year.)
Bell refused to help me (for landline only service) so I switched to ROGERS...then suddenly (only after I switch) Bell has all these amazing landline deals. Go figure. Too little too late.
Maybe Bell learned their lesson when it came to helping you.
Jun 4, 2017
0 posts
2 upvotes
Really? I got a good deal for fibe50 unlimited, with tv and phone for 99.85$
Jun 4, 2017
0 posts
2 upvotes
I got a deal from a rep

He gave me tv, internet unlimited, and home phone for only 99.90. He said I was in the fastest network
Jun 1, 2017
12 posts
Hamilton
Oh wow, thanks everyone for the replies, just came back to check this thread.
I will make another call and check with customer loyalty and see if they will lower my rate.

I checked shaw but there is no coverage where I am and like some else said, this is cogeco territory.

The $99 deal (with bell) sounds good but the second year goes up to around $189
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
I'm still in a 2 year contract with Bell. They still raised the rate after one year. They said they raise the rate anyway. I even asked what part of a 2 year plan don't you understand?
Rogers is a little better.
If you go for the plan they offered you check your bill every month. They'll try slipping something by you. If they offer HBO or Crave free for a trial it'a up to YOU to call and cancel after the trial. If you don't do any thing they will start billing you.
Good luck

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)