Tags:
None
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York

bell iphones can now be unlocked by third party

just found out that bell iphones can be unlocked now.
kinda late to the party bell. prices are pretty high on this service though.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Interesting... What sort of pricing ?
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
Is it cheaper than the $75 Bell charges?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
hell no. and that only applies to off contract iphones.
prices start at 140.00
ppl have been waiting for this for a long time too.
erichau wrote: Is it cheaper than the $75 Bell charges?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
From what I was told, Bell unlocks (maybe just iPhones) need to go through their Loss Prevention dept. Given in-contract phones can't be accessed by the 3rd parties but out of contract phone can be, I wonder if this is access is intentional. Or maybe out of contract IMEI's can be accessed without going through LP.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
not sure but the requirements i was told from my supplier was the IMEI must be clean as in not lost or reported stolen or blacklisted.
so i am not sure how they are getting these done. but it is the same method. connect itunes once you get the email and click restore.
i mean 140.00 aint so bad if your under contract still. but once your off you might as well pay bell the 50.00 to unlock it. but i hear that is also a headache to get done.
ceredon wrote: From what I was told, Bell unlocks (maybe just iPhones) need to go through their Loss Prevention dept. Given in-contract phones can't be accessed by the 3rd parties but out of contract phone can be, I wonder if this is access is intentional. Or maybe out of contract IMEI's can be accessed without going through LP.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: not sure but the requirements i was told from my supplier was the IMEI must be clean as in not lost or reported stolen or blacklisted.
so i am not sure how they are getting these done. but it is the same method. connect itunes once you get the email and click restore.
i mean 140.00 aint so bad if your under contract still. but once your off you might as well pay bell the 50.00 to unlock it. but i hear that is also a headache to get done.
With Rogers now joining Telus is allowing unlocks after 3 months (or soon will be) I wonder if Bell will revisit their policy, both the price and the time frame.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
haha yeah right. this is bell we are talking about.
ceredon wrote: With Rogers now joining Telus is allowing unlocks after 3 months (or soon will be) I wonder if Bell will revisit their policy, both the price and the time frame.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Hey guys, I'm new to this unlocking game....back in my day I had to pop open the back of the iphone (1!) and short out two pins with paperclips to unlock the phone...lol.

Anyways, my gf bought a used iphone5 that is locked to bell. We don't have a bell account and we don't know if this phone is on or off contract. Is third party the only option?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
easier to sell or trade for a phone you want. $140 Pffff...whateva.
Nov 15, 2010
435 posts
152 upvotes
Montreal
Get your self a telus/koodo iphone, around 45$ unlock if you look around.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
infamouskid wrote: hell no. and that only applies to off contract iphones.
prices start at 140.00
ppl have been waiting for this for a long time too.

Where can we go to unlock it for that price?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2532 posts
267 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry to bring up an older thread.

GF bought an iPhone 5 locked to Bell a few months ago off Kijiji, and is coming close to the end of her 3 year contract with Bell (ends Oct 2013).

Will Bell unlock it now (is it still $75?), or would it need to wait until after the contract ends?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
barrist wrote: Sorry to bring up an older thread.

GF bought an iPhone 5 locked to Bell a few months ago off Kijiji, and is coming close to the end of her 3 year contract with Bell (ends Oct 2013).

Will Bell unlock it now (is it still $75?), or would it need to wait until after the contract ends?
Unless the new CRTC code encourages them to implement early, their policy is still that you must wait until the end of term.

But, since she didn't but the iPhone 5 from Bell (otherwise her term end would be much further away) I am not sure if they will unlock it, since it wasn't bought on her account.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2532 posts
267 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah I'm guessing it'll be a pain in the ***** to get them to unlock a phone bought second-hand. She was planning on going on Koodo, which I'm on as well, but I guess she can always go on Virgin which has the same plans pretty much.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
barrist wrote: Yeah I'm guessing it'll be a pain in the ***** to get them to unlock a phone bought second-hand. She was planning on going on Koodo, which I'm on as well, but I guess she can always go on Virgin which has the same plans pretty much.
I really just am not sure how the handle phones that were not purchased on the account. With Rogers (and Telus I think) you just have to add the IMEI to your account and they won't really care how you obtained it. Bell could be the same. But either way, at best, you will be waiting until end of term unless Bell implements the CTRC rules before they have to.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)