• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 7:04 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2009
225 posts
18 upvotes
Thanks from me as well OP!

I got last months bill and the $10 per month promotion I'd been on apparently had ended, so they added $10 to my bill this month. Nice.

I was ready to cancel but called the retentions number mentioned in this thread. She said that she'd reverse the $10 charge (we'll see). I asked what the best they could do for me would be and she said 20-something per month for a basic line with no features. I asked about the 13.95 all in deal a "friend" of mine got and she said that was for customers with bundles.

"I'll have to check with my supervisor", she said and off she went. Washroom break maybe ;-)

Anyhow, I got the 13.95 plus HST package for 12 months that includes 911 and touch-tone fees. No extra paper bill fee. My features were stripped off my phone the same day. I'm not looking forward to my first bill as you know how bad Bell billing can be. Any trouble and they're getting my 30 day notice to cancel the land line in it's entirety.

Overall, very easy to save 400.00 per year. Any more problems with Bell and I'll be saving another couple hundred.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2010 posts
1850 upvotes
Thanks OP! Just to clarify for others.

The $13.95 is the most the basic plan (without call waiting and call display). So after bundle (-$4) you get, $9.95. For people that want those options, it will cost you $19.95 before bundle savings. The lady even told me to call back in 12 months to get another promotion. LOL.

The person also gave me an extra bundle saving of $5 off my internet. I already had a decent deal with my Fibe 15/10 internet, so this pretty much nullified the $3 increase and a little bit more. Many thanks OP!
Feb 7, 2011
8 posts
xlc_88 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2013 11:42 am
Thanks OP! Just to clarify for others.

The $13.95 is the most the basic plan (without call waiting and call display). So after bundle (-$4) you get, $9.95. For people that want those options, it will cost you $19.95 before bundle savings. The lady even told me to call back in 12 months to get another promotion. LOL.

The person also gave me an extra bundle saving of $5 off my internet. I already had a decent deal with my Fibe 15/10 internet, so this pretty much nullified the $3 increase and a little bit more. Many thanks OP!
I was also able to get this, after a bit of resistance. Was told at first you needed to have 3 services with Bell (we have 2- home phone and internet) but after some gentle insisting, they offered the $13.95 home phone plan and $5 off our internet plan.

Thank you OP!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1900 posts
1269 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thnx OP. Finally got around to calling earlier today.. The extra $2 price hike was enough to finally get me to call.... :)
Well, I called, they answered right away..Got a friendly gentlemen, who I explained to him that the extra hike just pushed me over limit, and if they couldn't do anything regarding the price, that I would be forced to switch to some VOIP provider to get a cheaper rate... I also mentioned that some people I know, were getting $18/month discounts, and I wanted the same...

He quickly mentioned that this morning, the $18 discount I mention, had just expired. Apparently Mondays is when all the promo's change.. Anyhow, I'm not sure I believed that typical marketting stuff, but he kindly said he would go check what he could get.. Put me on hold for 2 or 3 minutes, he came back and offered me $15/month discount for the next 12 months without any hassle. And even mentioned to make sure to call back before the 12months are up to see what new promotion they have in a year :)

Hey 5 minute phone call, and $15/month discount is pretty decent...
Basic Residential phone line (in QC), with Visual Call waiting (call waiting+callerID), before discount (including new price hike): $41.58/month+tx.. After discount: $26.58+tx...

At least it buys me a bit of time before I flush bell completely... I switched to Cable internet with 3rd party (from DSL connection), so no longer dependant on bell for dry loops or anything else... Second phone line for kids is already a VOIP line on freephoneline.ca for the past 2 years and work flawlessly... And next is the main line, but first I need to figure out how to connect my alarm system to the central.. For now it goes over standard bell POTS line.. Any idea if the alarm system modems can connect over most VOIP lines ? I know some VOIP lines can handle FAX connections, so curious if alarm modems would work.. :) Otherwise, I guess cell or internet would be an option... Currently with Protectron in QC.. Open to ideas....

Thnx again OP.
Aug 5, 2007
164 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
When you guys got your basic line discounts, were you able to view them on your online bell.ca account?
Nov 28, 2007
134 posts
58 upvotes
Off topic but just my experience dealing with Bell:

Please let me explain my situation. I had a contract with bell that ends on Feb 5., because before the new year, virgin was offering some really good plans without contract, and I signed up for one. I was assured by virgin that I could transport my number from bell without extra charge at the time. (It is very important to me to be able to transfer this number because I run a small business and I would prefer to be able to answer my buyers with one phone.) So, I phoned bell to make sure. I was told by them that 1. that if I want to port my number over, I’d have to go through virgin and 2. that they require a 30 day notice for cancellation, so I have to phone virgin 30 days before Feb 5 if I want to keep my number. So I phoned virgin on Jan 6, exactly 30 days before Feb 5, and explained the situation to them as asked them to give bell 30 days notice before transferring my number. They said they cannot do that and that they could either transfer the number right now (in which case bell would charge me $100) or I could call back on a later day, but they have to transfer the phone number on that exact day and then my account with bell would be closed when the number is transferred over. So I phoned bell and virgin back and forth twice. Each time, I was told my virgin that I there would be a $100 charge if I did it this way, and by Bell that there would be no $100 charge if I cancelled today through virgin(and those are their exact words), the second bell agent, Kam, even assured me that he would put a note in my account that I had called in to ask them about this problem, and that the note would say not to charge me a cancellation fee. He seemed empathetic with my situation that I had already paid for the final month and just wanted to tranfer my number without issue. So finally feeling reassured, I told virgin to go ahead with transferring my number.

Low and behold, today, I was sent an invoice from bell wanting to charge $103 for my final bill. When I logged into my account, the charges were broken down like this. I had $8.40 credit on my account that they gave back to me because I did not use their services for a month, and then they charged me $100 cancellation fee plus $12 tax. I don’t know how obvious I could have made it to both sides that I did want a cancellation fee, had I known that they would charge me the $100 anyway, I would have done everything in my power to avoid it. Such as calling virgin on Feb 5 to ask them to contact bell to transport the number, even if I have to pay for an extra month with bell. So my beef is that neither side (essentially same company) explained the situation clearly to me and there seems to be some discrepancy as to how bell and virgin handles these situations and I’m forced to pay a price. I understand that $100 is a relatively small sum, but to me it is the principle of the matter.

I am very mad about this situation, because when I phoned them they pretended they didn’t know what I was talking about. And they were very argumentative and curt to me, saying that they are not in the business of giving out $100 credits when they had not right to charge this $100 after Kam and the first agent assured me that I would not be charged.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7115 posts
380 upvotes
York
Thank you OP!! $18 credit per month!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8362 posts
551 upvotes
infamouskid wrote:
Jan 28th, 2013 9:06 pm
i just got a basic line for 9.95
Is it the bundle offer with other Bell services ? or Just landline alone ?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1900 posts
1269 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Chubbydeer wrote:
Jan 29th, 2013 12:37 am
Off topic but just my experience dealing with Bell:
Dude, I feel for you... I used to be with Bell (PAYG) for my cell, and after thier shady billing practices and excuses all the time, I switched to Virgin when they first showed up on the canadian stage.. It was fine and great service, up until Bell bought them out... Now it is back to the same...

On Jan 17, my funds (on my PAYG account) were going to expire at 12:45am... Usually I have it on Auto-Top Up, and it tops up usually about 12hr before the expiry.. This time, it was about 12am (I was getting ready to go to bed), and I quickly checked, and still no topup.. So I decided to log on to my account, and just add a $25 top-up manually.... No big deal.. everything went well.. Topup at 12:08am.. Check at 12:15am, and I had my new balance, and new expiry of March 17.. No issues, I went to bed...

When I got up, I got a text saying that congratulation, my auto-top up went through... Hmmmmm.. Log on.. Low and behold.. At 12:28am (20 minutes later), even though my account had plenty of funds now, and not expiring for at least another 2 months, the Auto-Top triggered... I called to complain and asked to credit the amount.. They refused saying it was "MY FAULT" that I added money.. I should have let the auto top-up just do it's thing... And then when I explained that a few months ago I did do that and the dumb system failed to kick in, and I lost my funds, it was "MY FAULT" again ? I had to argue then to get the money back into my account. You are damned if you do, and damned if you don't with them...

Then they said they couldn't refund me, since topups were non-refundable... So I said fine.. $100 topup is 1yr expiry (which is what I've been doing usually for the past 6 yrs).. They charged me $50, so I wanted 6months expiry.. The Billing DEPT Gods said NO (You can never really talk to these Gods).. They were going to give me 4 months (2months for the first $25 and 2 months for the second $25).. What is the point or advantage for me to leave my money with them.. I could have waited the 2 months for first $25 to get near expiry and only then give them my other $25 to get another 2 months expiry... It was thier fault, so I wanted something in my advantage.. Otherwise, refund me...

BUNCH of LOSERS!!!! I am sick of Bell.. I have already gotten 2 of my other PAYG cell phones (in the home) off of Virgin now, and they are now with Petro Canada Mobility (a lot longer expiry dates [$25 is 120days] - which is perfect for my kids using it just for emergencies).

Someone at Customer service finaly understood the situation. But at customer service (in India) they can only extend expiry dates for 30days past current date, so for now they have put a note in my file, that I will call a day or 2 before expiry date, to extend for 30 days.. And then again before that expiry to extent another 30 days.. Hopefully by then I have no funds left on the account, so I can say goodbye to them...

I could have easily gotten my CC company to reverse one of the charges (since it is cleary a double billing, 20 minutes apart). But whatever..

Once I figure out and alternative to get my alarm system off the Bell POTS line, it will go also, and goodbye Bell/Hell.

It is time they act like the competition, and NOT like a Monopoly. Those days are OVER!!
Sep 7, 2008
19 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks OP and everyone who also contributed their experience obtaining / or not obtaining this deal with Bell. I called for my parents this morning. They only have phone with Bell and have been Bell's customer for over 30 years. It took 15 min wait to get through Retentions. I asked if Bell can help with the rate my parents are paying. It took about 10 min for the CSR to get approvals from his supervisor, and I've got the $13.95 rate for 12 months!

Woohoo. So don't hesitate to try if you've been thinking of calling. If you don't succeed at first, try again another day. Be nice and ask what they can offer you.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1506 posts
225 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 29th, 2013 3:02 pm
Is it the bundle offer with other Bell services ? or Just landline alone ?
i have the same pricing (13.95 - 4). obviously, 4 is the bundle discount.
Sep 4, 2006
523 posts
146 upvotes
Just called in. I've had TV retentions three or four times already, so the dance was easy. Got the home phone lite, and 10/month off TV. The rep then noted that my bills weren't bundled, and he then saved me another 12/month by bundling the bills. Saved almost 40/month.
Jun 12, 2006
109 posts
1 upvote
Theoutsider wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 12:33 pm
I too tried to switch from bell to teksavvy (I already switched to their internet service). Problem is Bell currently does not allow Teksavvy to sign Bell’s costumers. Also if you go with Voip you have to pay $10 a month for a dry loop land line monthly maintenance. So considering that I would save only $8 on the deal I decided to not cancel.
I complained to the CRTC about this... Not sure if I have a leg to stand on but I am in a rural area and Bell is my only option.
Only option = Monopoly. does it not?

I am going to call soon and try to get this deal for a basic line + voicemail + caller id + unlisted. I assume this is possible?
Jan 16, 2007
421 posts
219 upvotes
So glad I have nothing to do with Bell anymore. Worst customer service ever.