Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11266 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
Which VoIP service do you use?
BargainWiz wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 9:09 am
Cancelled my landline service with Bell nearly a year ago and never looked back. Haggling for few dollars off. Watching my bills for unexpected price increases. At the end I was paying over $50 for landline with call display. Now I'm paying $50 a year for VoIP with included long distance. Huge difference and no haggling.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
66 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
Jan 1st, 2016 1:13 am
Just opened my phone bill tonight, to see this nice little New Year's gift from Bell...

"Effective February 1, 2016, the monthly price of your Home phone package will increase by $1. Basic long distance rates will increase by 15%".

Wonderful, yet another price increase. Do these ever stop? It'll still cost less than the access line I switched from recently, but at this rate it won't be long before I'll have to move back. Especially once the $15.50 credit expires.
NO it never stops! I have an $8 increase across all 3 of my services. I need to make a call and complain Eastlink is knocking at my door again (well, they do, just not recently). ;)
Aug 17, 2006
174 posts
24 upvotes
North York
is the $18 credit still available? I called the loyalty department and they only offered me $5 off.
Jan 18, 2010
130 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Acidblast wrote:
Jan 6th, 2016 2:36 pm
is the $18 credit still available? I called the loyalty department and they only offered me $5 off.
I'd be interested hearing any updates on that too ($18 in Ontario, $15.50 in Quebec). It's bad enough getting hit with price increases every couple of months, but on top of that I also have to worry if the discount credit will still be available when mine expires.
Nov 2, 2012
115 posts
122 upvotes
After five phone calls with bell, I got basic home phone as a new customer for $28 plus tax. I have no other services and don't want any as it is for the cottage. I'm setting up a freeze alarm that will call me for power outages, drastic temperature changes and water leaks under the hot water tank. Is $28plus tax what people are getting as a new customer without a bundle?
Jan 18, 2010
130 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Currently the best phone "deal" I'm aware of, without a bundle, is $21/month (approximately, taxes included). Actually, +$22 as of next month--thank you, Bell.

While technically that offer can be applied to any account, it's generally reserved as a retention offer for existing customers. Even then, convincing an agent to actually apply the promotional code can be pretty challenging. I'd assume your chances are far greater diminished when signing up as a new customer. Maybe try again in a month?

And of course there seems to be periods where this promotional discount disappears for several months. I don't know if we're in one of those periods now or not.
Jan 18, 2010
130 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Message on my latest Bell phone bill...

"+++ In order to improve your billing experience, we will soon better align your bill dates. As a result, within the next three months your bill payment due date will change by shifting a few days earlier."

Generally there are 3 weeks between your billing date and due date (and I only receive a paper bill in the mail about a week before it's due). Is Bell now saying they're going to reduce the grace period for paying your monthly bill? Sure sounds like it, and a great way to make extra by charging interest for now "late" payments (i.e. if you haven't paid before your bill arrives in the mail, you'll be charged interest?)
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9341 posts
929 upvotes
GTA
Any updates on current promos and what people are getting? About to call for my parents (they don't have internet so no VOIP options). Their Landline is back up to $38.95 after a series of promos have now expired... The $10 off expired at the end of January. Figured would ask here before calling in to see what I should hold out for :)
Jan 18, 2010
130 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
A friend had their promotion recently expire (basic landline, no other Bell services), so I called in to renew it. The best they could offer was $10 off for 12 months.

Called back this afternoon to see if I couldn't get something better, and this time told $5 off for 5 months was the best they could offer. They even told me what I received yesterday doesn't exist, and claimed it was never applied. This was the Montreal call center

So $10 off is available, I'll see if the $15.50 ($18 Ontario) isn't still out there and report back.

----
EDIT: Well made several calls over the past week, seems $10 is the best you'll get at the moment (if you're lucky enough to find an agent willing to give it). If anyone is able to get $15.50/$18 off in the near future, please post about it here. My own promotion expires in September and I rather get it back than trying to convince someone to put me back on an access line.
Jul 16, 2007
286 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
I just called and got $5 off per month for 10 months after 15 minutes on the phone. I wonder what more you could get if you escalated the issue to the supervisor or manager level... Didn't feel like wasting more time today though.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7976 posts
504 upvotes
itsvince wrote:
Apr 27th, 2016 3:34 pm
I just called and got $5 off per month for 10 months after 15 minutes on the phone. I wonder what more you could get if you escalated the issue to the supervisor or manager level... Didn't feel like wasting more time today though.
Yes, I hate calling in every 12 months, and they also raise the price periodically for many different kinds of reasons........

By the way, how much they are paying every month (before tax) ?
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
I am paying $ 31 + Tax = $ 35 for a basic phone line. No other features like CD, VM, Call Waiting etc and no LD on it.

No other services with Bell, so no bundle discounts.

The pricing is ridiculous just for a basic phone line. Don't need VOIP and Teksavvy stopped taking Bell customers in my area. so I have to suck up and pay this crap. I hate calling them and wasting my time begging for discounts.

You get rude and arrogant agents and even worse people in loyalty and retentions. They lie to you and the discounts never show up and lot of glitches and billing errors later on. They even sign you up for a contract just to get a lousy $ 5 credit per month. Absolutely the worse company to deal with, even Robbers is better than them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7976 posts
504 upvotes
tangerinebarbiegirl wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 12:02 am
I am paying $ 31 + Tax = $ 35 for a basic phone line. No other features like CD, VM, Call Waiting etc and no LD on it.

No other services with Bell, so no bundle discounts.

The pricing is ridiculous just for a basic phone line. Don't need VOIP and Teksavvy stopped taking Bell customers in my area. so I have to suck up and pay this crap. I hate calling them and wasting my time begging for discounts.

You get rude and arrogant agents and even worse people in loyalty and retentions. They lie to you and the discounts never show up and lot of glitches and billing errors later on. They even sign you up for a contract just to get a lousy $ 5 credit per month. Absolutely the worse company to deal with, even Robbers is better than them.
Try asking them for the "barebone" line (i.e. no add on feature, and not able to make long distance call from this line through Bell, which is fine as you can have a 3rd party LD provider on the line instead, which is even cheaper rate than them), it should cost you $21.95+tax. Good luck.
Jan 18, 2010
130 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Here's what you need to keep in mind. If a promotion is available (i.e. the $10/off for 12 months, and yes, it *IS* available!), getting it is essentially like playing a slot machine. It all depends on which call center your call is routed to, and the decency of the particular agent you get on the line.

Since you have no control over this, it's all a big game at Bell. Calling over and over, day after day. Sometimes you'll get lucky, sometimes you're just wasting your time. Even switching to a "barebone" line is no easy task, most agents will claim there is no such thing or they're not authorized to do it. That's the frustrating thing with Bell, it's so rare anyone there knows what they're doing or just plays games pretending their hands are tied (probably because giving you a better promotion negatively affects their sales stats, or they get scolded by managers for giving too many customers a good deal).

The best we can do for the moment is share publicly if a promotion becomes available, and only then spend the time and energy trying to get it. For all we know the $15.50/$18 promo is still there but no one has shared it here. Personally I'm about out of patience playing Bell's game. As soon as it becomes possible, I'm dumping my landline.