• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 7:04 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2010
134 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Like clockwork, we have another $1.00 telephone rate increase (for both Ontario and Quebec) coming October 1, 2018. Those on a grandfathered Residential Access Line will see a 70 cent increase, although the amount may vary by region.

Certainly no regret cancelling my Bell landline. Coming up on my two year anniversary since dropping Bell to switching to VoIP.
Jan 18, 2010
134 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone still following this thread, as of June 1, 2019, the telephone rate is increasing yet again, up $2.02. We're now at the point where it's reached over $50/month for a basic landline.
Dec 15, 2017
13 posts
Use Koodo home phone plan $5 per month unlimited canada wide calling and more features. Check any promotion going on regards
Sep 13, 2012
776 posts
391 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 1st, 2019 11:53 pm
Anyone still following this thread, as of June 1, 2019, the telephone rate is increasing yet again, up $2.02. We're now at the point where it's reached over $50/month for a basic landline.
Pay $19.99/month for Rogers home phone with 6 calling features and unlimited North American long distance. $50/month seems quite excessive.
Oct 4, 2005
286 posts
29 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 1st, 2019 11:53 pm
Thanks for the update. I have the basic landline only and live in a rural area with poor cell reception and frequent power outages. The traditional landline is a must for us.
Jan 18, 2010
134 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
About the Koodo (Telus) and Rogers deals above, I'm betting those are not traditional POT landlines, are they? Likely it's cell and VoIP, and getting those prices require being in a bundle with other services?

On an interesting note, I found someone on another forum currently getting a $26.49 credit on their (Ontario based) Bell landline service. I'm guessing they have a bundle deal but it's worth investigating if phone-only subscribers can't get it. If you go back several years in this thread, you'll see not so long ago there was a $15.50/$18.00 credit for Quebec/Ontario subscribers.
Sep 13, 2012
776 posts
391 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 5:28 pm
About the Koodo (Telus) and Rogers deals above, I'm betting those are not traditional POT landlines, are they? Likely it's cell and VoIP, and getting those prices require being in a bundle with other services?

On an interesting note, I found someone on another forum currently getting a $26.49 credit on their (Ontario based) Bell landline service. I'm guessing they have a bundle deal but it's worth investigating if phone-only subscribers can't get it. If you go back several years in this thread, you'll see not so long ago there was a $15.50/$18.00 credit for Quebec/Ontario subscribers.
Rogers home phone is not VOIP and not tied into bundle pricing (in my case as well as many others).
Jan 18, 2010
134 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
100Pacer wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 5:35 pm
Rogers home phone is not VOIP and not tied into bundle pricing (in my case as well as many others).
Does your landline phone plug in a ZTE box or similar? If yes, you're correct, it's not VoIP, but IS cellular phone service. And that comes with all the pitfalls you get with a cell/smartphone (e.g. lower quality audio, potential reception issues, completely anonymous when calling 911, etc)
Sep 13, 2012
776 posts
391 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 5:58 pm
Does your landline phone plug in a ZTE box or similar? If yes, you're correct, it's not VoIP, but IS cellular phone service. And that comes with all the pitfalls you get with a cell/smartphone (e.g. lower quality audio, potential reception issues, completely anonymous when calling 911, etc)
Nope, none of the above.
Apr 29, 2012
325 posts
252 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 5:28 pm
Sorry for being vague but I'm not 100% sure on RFD rules on what constitute soliciting. There are resellers of traditional POT lines. These are Bell copper lines. Bell owns the hardware, these resellers do the administration. I've been using one of these resellers for over a year. When there was an issue a Bell tech came out to my house. And just to be clear this hardware issue outside my house would have occurred regardless of reseller or not. Perhaps there are more resellers now but back then there were two.
One is "Technology Savvy" in the their name.
The other is a "Prime" internet service provider. Tie Domi advertises for them.
Again sorry for being vague but I don't want to get in trouble either.

I admit the resellers are not as cheap as VOIP but for traditional copper POT, cheaper than Bell. I pay $31 taxes in, this includes one calling feature for $3 a month. $3 may sound alot but cheaper than the $11 bell charges.
Jan 18, 2010
134 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
It's no secret that Teksavvy is/was a reseller of Bell POT lines. Problem is they had very strict rules on who they could provide service to (their terms of service with Bell was they could not sell a line at an address if where the customer were a present or past Bell subscriber; you'd essentially have to move to a new house/apartment with no existing POT line and start fresh!). And in recent years, they stopped selling the service, period. Have a look on their website, they only sell digital VoIP service.

I wasn't aware Primus resold Bell lines though, I might check them out. Incidentally, what I found with Teksavvy was the rate of the POT line was about on par with Bell prices, but features were far cheaper (e.g. $2 for Visual Call Display versus $10 with Bell Canada).

EDIT: Just checked Primus's resold POT lines. It's actually $11 MORE than Bell, with the only advantage is that they have better long distance rates (if you're interested in calling features, they're 50% less). Absolutely pointless, you'd be better off sticking with Bell and using a third party LD carrier.

I'm currently using Teksavvy's VoIP service for $9.95/month (plus an additional $5 for having a dry-loop). Had there been an option to get a POTS line with TSI I would've jumped at it.
Apr 29, 2012
325 posts
252 upvotes
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 4th, 2019 1:53 am
It's no secret that Teksavvy is/was a reseller of Bell POT lines.
Well nevermind the vagueness, I feel silly now.
I don't know what is going with Teksavvy. I called them up 1 or 2 years ago and the CSR just switched me. It was seamless. It is weird that they nolonger advertise it on their webpage. Have you tried a cold call? Maybe they still have it.
Apple IIGS wrote:
May 4th, 2019 1:53 am
EDIT: Just checked Primus's resold POT lines. It's actually $11 MORE than Bell, with the only advantage is that they have better long distance rates (if you're interested in calling features, they're 50% less). Absolutely pointless, you'd be better off sticking with Bell and using a third party LD carrier.
I checked Primus as well. I see a quote for $38.95 and Bell is $46.45. I hope this doesn't mean Primus practices postal code discrimination as well.