• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 8:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2135 posts
771 upvotes

Bell landline vs Rogers landline for business

Contract is up with bell for 5 business lines and rogers is quite alot less. I know they dont use the bell hardware so that has me wondering how rogers 'landlines' are these days. I know way back they weren't considered great. I'd be porting over the five lines, one of which is a dedicated fax line. Anything I should be mindful of?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2673 posts
714 upvotes
I use Rogers unison for my law firms landline. It's connected to ethernet and quite often you have issues with latency through the softphone on our cellphones. In the office itself, the voip phone is pretty decent.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19207 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto
Dunno about business tech, but for my home office based business, using their residential services:

1) Bell copper POTS landline - Line never goes down, unless someone cuts the line or pulls the line. Fax reliability good. Line still has power during power outages.
2) Bell Fibe fibre optic modem based "landline" - Solid support for fax and home security systems, equal to the Bell POTS in my usage when modem connected, but modem firmwares were suspect so the line would go down every couple of months until a reboot of the modem. And one time when the modem went down, it lost the landline completely. I had to call in to get the landline number reinitialized on that modem.
3) Rogers cable "landline" using a separate modem - Extremely stable for voice, but fax is not as reliable as Bell for fax. About 5-10% of faxes would need to be resent from my house. I tolerated this since I only would send say a couple of dozen faxes a week. Modem never goes down though.

I don't know if Rogers' business landlines are any better. I'd be curious to find out.