Cell Phones

Bell mobility cancellation fee

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2017 11:53 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1403 posts
433 upvotes

Bell mobility cancellation fee

I have early upgrade fee of $330. Is this my cancellation fee? My 3 year contract started on Dec.2012.
Also, do I need to give 30 day notice or I can port out the number and ask for 30 day fee back through CCTS?
20 replies
Member
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
Your early upgrade fee is what you have left owing on your current device. Because you're in a 3 year contract, you will probably also have to pay whatever cancellation fees are stipulated in your contract ($20/month x number of remaining months, etc, etc). This would be on top of the $330.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2012
2785 posts
870 upvotes
West
See if you can change your plan to a more affordable one which they will usually allow you to do and just stay with Bell until the end of your contract, the cancellation fees are gonna be brutal otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8615 posts
3785 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
In the old model I think it's $20 times number of months remaining with a $100 minimum and $600 maximum. Plus taxes.

So I think your cancellation is $480+taxes. Double check with Bell by calling in, they'll send you to retentions but considering you're only a year into your contract they won't do anything.
Member
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: In the old model I think it's $20 times number of months remaining with a $100 minimum and $600 maximum. Plus taxes.

So I think your cancellation is $480+taxes. Double check with Bell by calling in, they'll send you to retentions but considering you're only a year into your contract they won't do anything.
$480 + his $330 device payout = $810 + taxes. Ouch.

Considering the OP is also in an old three year contract, I believe he'll also have to wait the 30 days to port his number, but I'm not 100% sure.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1403 posts
433 upvotes
Thanks guys. I guess Bell is worse than Rogers as Rogers will charge device discount ($330) + $12.50...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8615 posts
3785 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
11thWarrior wrote: $480 + his $330 device payout = $810 + taxes. Ouch.

Considering the OP is also in an old three year contract, I believe he'll also have to wait the 30 days to port his number, but I'm not 100% sure.
There's no device payout since he's on the old 3 year system.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2003
4380 posts
995 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
11thWarrior wrote: $480 + his $330 device payout = $810 + taxes. Ouch.

Considering the OP is also in an old three year contract, I believe he'll also have to wait the 30 days to port his number, but I'm not 100% sure.
Guys there is too much mis information here.

The OP falls under the old system of $20/month remaining. Which would be $480, there is no device buy out.

If the OP fell under the new rules it would just be the device buy out. It's one or the other. Not both.
Member
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
My mistake. Sorry guys.

So for $480 he gets out of his contract, effectively, two years early and gets to keep the phone? Doesn't sound that bad actually, LOL.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1403 posts
433 upvotes
Is there anyway to TOR and keep my existing number? I have TB 50 plan but my work is giving me a free cell phone. I want to port my personal number to work phone but I want to TOR the TB 50 plan rather than cancelling it. This way, I won't have to pay early termination fee as well.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8615 posts
3785 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
bose wrote: Is there anyway to TOR and keep my existing number? I have TB 50 plan but my work is giving me a free cell phone. I want to port my personal number to work phone but I want to TOR the TB 50 plan rather than cancelling it. This way, I won't have to pay early termination fee as well.
Talk to WorldIRC. He can probably help you out.
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2012
871 posts
517 upvotes
Victoria
x-batman wrote: Guys there is too much mis information here.

The OP falls under the old system of $20/month remaining. Which would be $480, there is no device buy out.

If the OP fell under the new rules it would just be the device buy out. It's one or the other. Not both.
Actually there is a device buyout cost if you received a credit when the contract was signed. Clearly stated in Bells contract.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8615 posts
3785 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Horsey2345 wrote: Actually there is a device buyout cost if you received a credit when the contract was signed. Clearly stated in Bells contract.
If you are referring to the T&S currently posted, that is for contracts the new model.

These are the terms for the old one:

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2604srb.jpg[/IMG]
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2012
871 posts
517 upvotes
Victoria
ToniCipriani wrote: If you are referring to the T&S currently posted, that is for contracts the new model.

These are the terms for the old one:

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2604srb.jpg[/IMG]
My contract was signed in 2011 and it clearly states greater of $100 0r $20 month remaining PLUS if you received device credit you have to pay the remaining ie. credit given for phone/36 months x months remaining
Member
Aug 21, 2011
468 posts
57 upvotes
Horsey2345 wrote: My contract was signed in 2011 and it clearly states greater of $100 0r $20 month remaining PLUS if you received device credit you have to pay the remaining ie. credit given for phone/36 months x months remaining
That's what I thought, and why I made my original post of $480 + $330. It didn't make sense to me that they'd let him off with the phone, if he paid out his remaining contract balance.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8615 posts
3785 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
OK, I checked with Bell, there is no device credit charge, BUT there is a data cancellation charge that is up to $200 depending on phone for contracts prior to Feb 10,2013.

i.e. there are 2 portions, SAPA (20 per month minimum 100 maximum 400) and DSAPA (20 per month minimum 100 maximum 200). DSAPA is added if the device requires a data plan.

Image

See also: http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/What_is ... adjustment

So in OP's case:

Expiring Dec 2015 = 23 months left

SAPA - $20 * 23 = $460, maximum $400
DSAPA - $20 * 23 = $460, maximum $200

So basically it's $600+tax, or $400+tax if it's a "lite" device.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2012
2785 posts
870 upvotes
West
That's crazy, my service for an entire year is only $430. If you're on the Thunder Bay 50 plan, maybe you can get someone to takeover your plan and pay them $100 or something. Are they still offering that plan for new sign-ups?
Newbie
Dec 29, 2013
3 posts
SUDBURY
I am paying the cancellation fee right now to get out of my Bell contract. To help soften the blow of the cancellation fee, if you go to PC Mobile right now (they offer Koodo, Rogers, etc.) they are offering some very cheap plans and also a $100 PC gift card as incentive on some phones. I just got a Nexus 4 (yes I realize it's an old model) for $0 up front, with a $100 gift card, and a plan on Koodo that was 2/3 the price of my Bell contract with better features. On top of that, I am selling my Bell phone on eBay and am getting around $200 for it... so in the end, you might break even!!! :)
Newbie
Jan 3, 2015
2 posts
Emeryville, ON
I have a question. Im on the old 3 year plan with bell. I'm on month 22 of 36 (14 months remaining). I have $195 left on the device (according to the upgrade fee). So for me to cancel, would it be 14x20 + my $195? or is it only the months remaining?
Newbie
Jul 5, 2017
74 posts
23 upvotes
Guys I'm seeking help with this bell service. I got bell installed on 18th and called up today to cancel the service. They have confirmed you charge me 150$. However I got confirmation that cancellation within 10 days will be free of cost. But now they are saying that its 10th day so they will charge. Howe do I contest this?

Top