• May 4th, 2015 6:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 3, 2015
2 posts

Bell mobility contract cancellation

Hi,
I have signed a 3-year contract will Bell in Dec. 2012.
A few days ago I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. The device doesn't work anymore. I thought about cancelling my contract altogether instead of replacing my phone.
How can I calculate my cancellation fees?
I pay 65$/month (200mins, 500mb of data), have a Galaxy S3 with a remaining device balance of 133$.
5 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10896 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
Are you in Quebec? (I ask because the $). If so, you simply pay off your device balance and that is it. That being said...in June your device balance will automatically be $0 due to the new WCOC laws.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
- Don't tell them you dropped your phone, but let them know you are thinking of upgrading your phone and read that after June 3rd all device balances will be waived. They may be willing to just waive yours that day to keep you, if you intend on staying with Bell.
[OP]
May 3, 2015
2 posts
Yes, I live in Quebec. I just contacted Bell, they told me that the WCOC law is under appeal and is not final, meaning the old rules still apply. They also mentioned that I would have to pay 20$ x number of months remaining + additional charges for data. I am confused.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
SherlocksRight wrote: Yes, I live in Quebec. I just contacted Bell, they told me that the WCOC law is under appeal and is not final, meaning the old rules still apply. They also mentioned that I would have to pay 20$ x number of months remaining + additional charges for data. I am confused.
Pfft, such a bad business move from Bell. If you have a spare phone, just activate it in the meantime. Sometimes, the store may be able to give you a loaner with a deposit. If Bell loses there appeal, I sure hope you walk away after June 3rd.

Does Bell still require 30 days notice for cancellation? Because you can always give them a 30 days notice, and that would mean 30 days from now the new CRTC ruling would be in effect so no penalty. If you're paying $65 a month and it's going to cost you $140 to cancel, you're better off cancelling if the lose the appeal. Also, you can probably just switch your plan to the lowest in the meantime. The only drawback of course is in the event that they win the appeal, you'd be responsible for your cancellation fee. I would try to get a nice port in credit from another provider in that case, especially if you have a business line, you can do a port in for a credit which would surely offset the cancellation charges.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SherlocksRight wrote: Hi,
I have signed a 3-year contract will Bell in Dec. 2012.
A few days ago I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. The device doesn't work anymore. I thought about cancelling my contract altogether instead of replacing my phone.
How can I calculate my cancellation fees?
I pay 65$/month (200mins, 500mb of data), have a Galaxy S3 with a remaining device balance of 133$.
If they allow it, downgrade to the cheapest plan available for 1 month and when WCOC take effect cancel without penalty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)