• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 8:44 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
38 posts
46 upvotes
Abbotsford

[Bell] NFL Sunday Ticket Through Timeshift Package $5/month

Bell Just announced they will show different games on the regional CTV networks so all Sunday games will be broadcast on Bell by subscribing to the Timeshift package for $5/month. Between the regional CTV feeds and the 5x TSN channels, you will see all games on Sundays.

I don't have Bell but did hear that they moved CTV timeshift channels into the slots that were previously occupied by Sunday Ticket.

No word on of other providors will do similar but Telus currently has 5x regional CTV channels in HD while Shaw has 2xHD and 3xSD only

http://www.bell.ca/nflgames
Images
  • Screenshot_20170815-221359.png
  • Screenshot_20170815-224509.png
Last edited by RickG724 on Aug 16th, 2017 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
139 replies
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
38 posts
46 upvotes
Abbotsford
Looks like Bell Media are rebelling against DAZN and the NFL by using their ability as exclusive cable rights holders in Canada to gain subscribers and hopefully crush DAZN. Too bad DAZN will still exclusively have RedZone access

I wonder if DAZN will be able to block broadcasts of games on TSN GO, CTV GO or Shaw Freerange TV (apps or streaming on their site)
Last edited by RickG724 on Aug 16th, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1039 posts
285 upvotes
Hamilton
Wow. If Bell is using CTN timeshifting and all TSN channels to show all games on Sunday. This would be a huge win for Canadians. I noticed on my Fibe a few more CTV stations have showed up lately without logos in the guide.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
38 posts
46 upvotes
Abbotsford
Yes I think this is Bell's response to DAZN. Wicked for Canadians. Just hope that Rogers Telus and Shaw add on more CTV regional channels.
Jun 6, 2008
217 posts
40 upvotes
If this is truly every game, it will save me 15 bucks a month!! (Potentially) awesome!!
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9022 posts
3110 upvotes
Ottawa
I seriously doubt that's gonna fly with Goodell after what DAZN is paying them. Especially considering an average sized sports bar with 150 seats was paying about $5000 to the NFL to broadcast Sunday Ticket and are now able to do it for free with Bell. *grabs popcorn*
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Dec 4, 2006
325 posts
301 upvotes
St Catharines
RickG724 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 3:01 am
Looks like Bell Media are rebelling against DAZN and the NFL by using their ability as exclusive cable rights holders in Canada to gain subscribers and hopefully crush DAZN. As they will still exclusively have RedZone access

I wonder if DAZN will be able to block broadcasts of games on TSN GO, CTV GO or Shaw Freerange TV (apps or streaming on their site)
Im confused by your phrasing. DAZN has RedZone.
Jun 6, 2008
217 posts
40 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:07 am
I seriously doubt that's gonna fly with Goodell after what DAZN is paying them. Especially considering an average sized sports bar with 150 seats was paying about $5000 to the NFL to broadcast Sunday Ticket and are now able to do it for free with Bell. *grabs popcorn*
DAZN paid the NFL for streaming rights in Canada... but don't forget Bell just re-upped and expanded their NFL tv rights with the NFL. Bell is now the exclusive rights holder in Canada, with all games on either CTV or TSN. So maybe that was a part of the deal? Agree with your point about the sports bar aspect though... very interesting.
Jul 5, 2004
22135 posts
2058 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:07 am

As long as there's no violation of the contract and the NFL still gets their money, I don't think Goodell will even be aware of this. Canada is barely a blip on their radar. Let's face it, we are nothing more than a test market for the NFL and Dazn.

I have Shaw direct, but if I cancel and go with bell satellite, can I get every single NFL game? Or do I need Fibe, whatever that is? Satellite is the only thing available in my area.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9022 posts
3110 upvotes
Ottawa
wingman75 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:44 am
DAZN paid the NFL for streaming rights in Canada... but don't forget Bell just re-upped and expanded their NFL tv rights with the NFL. Bell is now the exclusive rights holder in Canada, with all games on either CTV or TSN. So maybe that was a part of the deal? Agree with your point about the sports bar aspect though... very interesting.
I doubt that was part of the deal. Part of DAZN's deal was cutting off Sunday Ticket as an option to cable subscribers and making them the ONLY option to anyone wanting the ability to watch all games (Why else would NFLST be taken away from all Cablecos?). Obviously if they could have Bell would have offered ST for $300 instead of this for $5/month. I bet this coup d'état has been brainstormed in the boardroom of their legal department probably since the DAZN announcement and cutting them off Sunday Ticket. Why else would they suddenly advertise 3 weeks before the season after people have paid for DAZN and not before?

Anyways if history repeats itself the NFL won't sit idle very long after DAZN comes knocking reminding them they signed up for exclusive 'all games' rights in 100 countries outside the US, not 99 with the 3rd biggest one left out.

EDIT: The only thing I could see is perhaps this is a deal between Perform Group (DAZN) and Bell to lure those who don't have the know-how to stream content...
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2006
1010 posts
385 upvotes
Ottawa
In practice, the way to do this is to have TSN choose to show the early games that are not already available on the border-state CBS/Fox affiliates.

This means that a Rogers/Shaw/Videotron subscriber who has time-shifting and TSN will get the exact same benefit. It just might cost a little more to get TSN than it would on Bell.
McDealer: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Wolfman: Holy s*** , it's McDealer!
Apr 21, 2006
331 posts
29 upvotes
As someone who gets Rogers Super Sports pack every football season, I hope Rogers adds all of the additional time shifting channels as well!
Aug 6, 2005
71 posts
18 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
As someone who cut the cord years ago this doesn't impact me whatsoever. I have subscribed to NFL GamePass for the past 3 years and happily switched to DAZN when presented with the opportunity to get more for less.

What I don't understand are the comments from some how this move by Bell is a "win" or "wicked" for Canadians...

Considering Canadians pay among the highest cable/internet/wireless rates in the world and are held hostage to ridiculous packages, deceptively marketed as bundles, I'd say this is more so a knee-jerk reaction from the first of the big-three to defend their position.

Let's not kid ourselves here, folks...
Oct 26, 2003
822 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga
mbcvp wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 1:38 pm
What I don't understand are the comments from some how this move by Bell is a "win" or "wicked" for Canadians...
I think it's the fact there is some competition now. Maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction, but it's still a good sign IMHO.
Feb 24, 2015
27 posts
3 upvotes
Halifax
we had time shifting before was not every nfl game ,was 2 yrs ago , still dont know if there is that many ctv channels to show a diff team on every channel