Shopping Discussion

Bell removed discounts after the 1st year on my 2yrs contract - can they do that?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 7:48 am
[OP]
Dec 24, 2018
79 posts
46 upvotes

Bell removed discounts after the 1st year on my 2yrs contract - can they do that?

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I made a very upsetting experience with Bell.

For the first year, I had some discounts which expired. I get that. Comparing my August and September Bill.
However, they removed an ongoing credit of $30 on monthly charges which didn't have an expiration date and at the end, I end up paying $20 more for the same crappy service before taxes!

Changes from August to September:
  • Fibe50 is now $99.95 and no longer 105.95, so I improved + $5.
  • They removed the $30 credit on the monthly charges. Please note there is no expiration date as on the other credits
  • Multi-Service promo Internet, TV: Expiration 09/03/20. That's fine
  • Multi Service promo Internet, Fibe TV, Home Phone Expiration 09/03/21: same $5
  • Additional promo in September of $5
My expectation was to have the Internet increased from $45.95 to $55.95, but not to #75.95! Basically, they hiked the price by $20 per month for the 2nd year
I find this very dubious, all the other credits have clear expiration date. In fact, the $30 under monthly charges were supposed to be there for the full 2 years.

I already talked to a loyalty manager, and he only said he would get back to me once there is a better deal.
However, I cast doubt if it is actually legal to change that part of the promotion if there is no expiration date. He mentioned something the promotion expired (the part with the $30 under the monthly charges). However, as you see in the August bill, there was no expiration date and this was not communicated when I signed the contract.

I only reached out to them 2 weeks ago to changes to my TV channels and by no way did I request changes to my internet. In fact, I already have the fasted (crappy) possible in my building.

Do you have any advise how I can further escalate this? Or do I have to go to the consumer bureau?
Images
  • bell1.png
  • Bell2.png
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5721 posts
1179 upvotes
Montreal
They've been doing that for years. The same thing happened to me a number of times until 15 years ago when I finally gave up and moved away from them.
Haven't looked back.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8523 posts
2468 upvotes
Mississauga
Bell enjoys playing games. Time to switch providers and never look back. Even tho we hear so many stories about Rogers, they are so much better than Bell.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5733 posts
1958 upvotes
Mort Réal
You're new to this, aren't you?
What did you learn?
I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. Therefore, I'm thirsty for deals on durable goods.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5721 posts
1179 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: They've been doing that for years. The same thing happened to me a number of times until 15 years ago when I finally gave up and moved away from them.
Haven't looked back.
My story is that every year they were giving me an $8/month discount. I just had to remember to call in and request it again every September when the year was up. After a few years of me calling in, eventually they said I couldn't have the discount anymore. So I contacted Teksavvy and when I called to port my number, they relented and said they would continue my discount. I decided to stay. About 2 weeks later I received a letter from Bell thanking me for my 1 year contract and that they were pleased that I accepted their offer of a discount for 6 months.

I called them and gave them a piece of my mind and that to forget it and move my phone number to Teksavvy. They then relented and said that I could have my discount for a year. I cooled down and accepted it. Two weeks later I received another letter thanking me for agreeing to a 2 year contract with 1 year of discount.

After that, I was gone and refused to listen to them. But it gets better. A few years before, I had moved into a condo that didn't allow satellite dishes so I cancelled my Expressvu subscription. At the time, I had a prepaid balance of $9.84 that was due to me. They refused to send me the refund because it was under $10.

When I cancelled my phone with them, again they owed me a refund and I got them to finally pay me back the $9.84 from before along with the phone refund.
Phils
Dec 15, 2006
870 posts
500 upvotes
Ottawa
For 16 years I've only used Bell for cell phone service. No complaints. Cable on and off with Rogers and internet with Rogers/Carrytel.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
tonylaranjo wrote: I think you could follow the steps here and potentially file a complaint with CRTC about Bell if it gets to that point:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm
This. Don't waste time after you tried with Bell.

I had a similar circumstance with Rogers back in the day with a 3 year contract. A discount was dropped after 1yr and I made a complaint. They ask what resolution you believe is fair, and I asked for the amount of the discount x 24 months (balance). They agreed and I saw that one-time amount as a credit on my account. And to spite Rogers for pulling that stunt, I cancelled the service add on that it was designated for and basically got a plan discount for the 2 years remaining.
Jul 20, 2012
680 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
That's how Bell operates. The same thing happened to me. For the 2 years I had a so called contract they kept playing games with the bill. I cancelled everything and went with Rogers. The Bell reps would call or come to the door (pre-covid).
I told them every time I wouldn't take it for free for 10 years. Bell is the most un-ethical company I've ever dealt with. At least with Rogers you can go to a store and they can deal with a billing issue or exchange pvr's.
Dec 20, 2019
321 posts
782 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
Here's my story guys copied and pasted from another thread. For all the hate rogers get, they actually seem to give a f### about their customer. Been with them for 10 years or so on and off and never have they messed up my bill on purpose before. I can count the incidents with my five fingers, and every time, they were quick to respond and fix the issues. I think it's the culture that bell is cultivating that is so messed up; maybe its the manager that scams the most money that gets a promotion? Do not give these scumbags your hard earn cash..... Just not worth it.

"Bell is the F****** biggest scumbag of a company I have ever known. When I was around 15( a decade ago) I was paying 300 for two services from bell. After cancelling and moving to rogers, they continued to charge me for 3 month of services. Every time I called in there would an excuse of why they didn't cancel and even threaten to send me to collections if I didn't pay. I was young, stupid, and depressed at the time, so I didn't know better. 8 years ago, I gave them another chance. This time they cancelled but was adamant that I never sent them the modem..... Stupid me didn't keep the receipt and got F over again for another 300 or so. Never again with this company. I don't think these incidents were people related, I think the employees are taught to milk consumers for every penny and hope they get away with it."
Feb 10, 2006
719 posts
355 upvotes
Winnipeg
onlineharvest wrote: Oof

CCTS is what I meant (online form that you posted), not the CRTC link I replied to.
No worries, people get them mixed up all the time because CRTC is what you hear in the news with regards to regulation, etc. Most people aren't even aware the CCTS is even a thing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
ashhabib wrote: No worries, people get them mixed up all the time because CRTC is what you hear in the news with regards to regulation, etc. Most people aren't even aware the CCTS is even a thing.
Yeah, you're right.

I have only anecdotal experience, a handful of cases myself and friends, but every time CCTS needed to be contacted, it was a favorable response.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2018
79 posts
46 upvotes
Thank you everyone for the input; I submitted a complaint.

But besides Bell and Rogers, there is no reliable internet AND TV provider (with a 4K DVR box), right?
I miss BC in this matter, there you have Shaw and Telus always undermining their offers.

Why is this not the case here in Ontario with Rogers and Bell?