• Oct 10th, 2022 10:26 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
117 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa

Bell Sateliite tv at cottage: changing from old dish to new

Hi,

For the Bell experts out there: currently have Bell satellite tv at two locations, home and cottage. In the past, would just bring receiver from one location to the other and everything worked flawlessly.

The dish at home was upgraded to newer model as were receivers (for HD). Now, cottage no longer works as the new receiver is not compatible with the old dish.

So, I need to buy a new dish and install it but I'm having trouble understanding which "new model" of dish to buy. There are a few models on ebay/amazon but its not clear to me. Would something like this work: https://www.amazon.ca/BELL-SATELLITE-DI ... B01HDRBVKK

And are the cables connecting the dish to the receiver the same (in other words when I replace the dish, can I use the existing cables that I already ran from the old dish to inside the cottage?)

Many thanks for the help.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1145 posts
1750 upvotes
scarborough
Try running check dish when moving satellite receiver to cottage. when returning home do the same.

However i dont think youll get HD at the cottage
Nov 25, 2007
190 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
1. use the check switch thing. HD uses 2 satilites, while the standard only uses 1. check to see if you are using 91 vs 82 too.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3868 posts
969 upvotes
Kingston
It's possible that your dish is fine depending on the size. What you will need though is a dual lnb that can bring in both 82 and 91 satellites. You can do this 2 ways, either acquire a Y yoke adapter and 2 single lnbs and put each lnb in each slot. Or you can get a dual lnb that has both satellites built into a single dual lnb. Either one will work fine.

You will need a 2nd line and a splitter as well. Easiest way to do the lines is get 2 pieces of coax cable and make them about a foot long. Attach each cable to input on the lnbs (1 to 82, 1 to 91), then connect them via the splitter to the existing cable. Youll also have to do a realignment to bring in the 82 satellite.

Easiest way is to go on the roof of your home and see how the Bell tech did your dish and copy it at the cottage.

Another option that you have is just leave the dish as is at the cottage and just watch SD channels
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
kcorscadden wrote: It's possible that your dish is fine depending on the size. What you will need though is a dual lnb that can bring in both 82 and 91 satellites. You can do this 2 ways, either acquire a Y yoke adapter and 2 single lnbs and put each lnb in each slot. Or you can get a dual lnb that has both satellites built into a single dual lnb. Either one will work fine.

You will need a 2nd line and a splitter as well. Easiest way to do the lines is get 2 pieces of coax cable and make them about a foot long. Attach each cable to input on the lnbs (1 to 82, 1 to 91), then connect them via the splitter to the existing cable. Youll also have to do a realignment to bring in the 82 satellite.

Easiest way is to go on the roof of your home and see how the Bell tech did your dish and copy it at the cottage.

Another option that you have is just leave the dish as is at the cottage and just watch SD channels
To get 91 & 82 at the same time you also need a dish that can rotate like a steering wheel, 91 is higher in the sky and I've never been able to get both at the same time without turning the dish so one lnb is higher than the other, might be possible without but with likely very low signal on 82 that won't lock which is also a weaker signal on it's own

And to do this you need the 'newer' 20" dishes - https://www.amazon.ca/BELL-Dish-Plus-Qu ... 573&sr=8-8

If just need a dual lnb setup I would just get a quad and be done, no messing with switches (not splitter) and set to go with DPP as well - https://www.amazon.ca/Dish-Network-Bell ... 573&sr=8-5

Only need a second line if you have 2 receivers, or a dual tuner receiver which you would then also need a separator - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0016H ... QID8&psc=1

But ya.. all this is only if you need HD at the cottage, otherwise do as other said and do the check switch and call it a day
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
2602 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if the Bell 3100 receiver still work with dish pointing to Satellite 91/82 or there won't be anything shown on the TV from Bell 3100 receiver?