Cell Phones

Bell still charges $50 for unlocking a corporate phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2021 4:37 pm
[OP]
May 20, 2017
839 posts
585 upvotes
ON

Bell still charges $50 for unlocking a corporate phone?

I thought it's all free now and am surprised to find out today that they still charge $50 to unlock a corporate phone. Is it against the CRTC rule or they can do it no problem?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7180 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elec2016 wrote: I thought it's all free now and am surprised to find out today that they still charge $50 to unlock a corporate phone. Is it against the CRTC rule or they can do it no problem?
The CRTC rule doesn't apply to >16 line corporate plans, I thought...

I've vaguely heard that Bell has stopped shipping locked phones to corporate accounts in 3-year land now, but certainly I have a very locked 11 Pro Max here...
[OP]
May 20, 2017
839 posts
585 upvotes
ON
VivienM wrote: The CRTC rule doesn't apply to >16 line corporate plans, I thought...

I've vaguely heard that Bell has stopped shipping locked phones to corporate accounts in 3-year land now, but certainly I have a very locked 11 Pro Max here...

Thanks, so they can do it then. I guess I'll just have to find a website that offers unlock for cheaper price.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7180 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elec2016 wrote: Thanks, so they can do it then. I guess I'll just have to find a website that offers unlock for cheaper price.
Or talk to your dealer...

I have a vague recollection that ours may have agreed to discount the unlocking fee as part of the negotiation to get the business.

(Now, if you're not part of the company that got the device from Bell in the first place, that might be more problematic...)