Cell Phones

Bell Tbay Plan Dec 2012-Want a New Phone . . .advice?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2015 6:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2203 posts
847 upvotes

Bell Tbay Plan Dec 2012-Want a New Phone . . .advice?

My plan would have been up in December of this year but like many, as of June 3rd I will not have to stick with my plan.

When I log into the Bell Mobility site, it says I am eligible for a device upgrade and that a Samsung S6, for example, will cost me $249 plus a $15 dollar plan but that my current plan is incompatible with upgrading. I am sure many have run into this issue as well and am seeking advice. I did a search for this and couldn't find anything.

I don't use my phone much (don't call much, don't use much data) so Bell is getting a very cheap customer, even if the plan is a great deal.

Has anyone been able to retain their plan and upgrade their device?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
My tbay contract will be finish next week I called for an upgrade they won't allow me to keep my existing plan price. Instead they offer me $90 same like tbay they want to screw me $960 I just bought my phone outright.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2992 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto
You can't get a subsidized phone and keep the plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2203 posts
847 upvotes
Thanks. That is too bad but I don't need a new phone, my Note 2 is fine. It would be nice to get a current gen. phone and I wouldn't mind being on this plan for another two years at all period, let alone if they would subsidize another phone.

I can get a Rogers corp. plan that isn't quite as good as this one (less data, not unlimited voice) but I would be eligible to get a new phone every two years . . .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
feminazi wrote: Thanks. That is too bad but I don't need a new phone, my Note 2 is fine. It would be nice to get a current gen. phone and I wouldn't mind being on this plan for another two years at all period, let alone if they would subsidize another phone.

I can get a Rogers corp. plan that isn't quite as good as this one (less data, not unlimited voice) but I would be eligible to get a new phone every two years . . .
that will be vary on your usage, you don't need tbay if you use:
1. less than 200 minutes talk
2. less than 500 mb data
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8760 posts
2392 upvotes
Regardless where you go, all providers require a 60+ price plan in order to get a subsidy and that doesnt even get you a compitable plan. If you change over to the NEW tbay plan, then you did not save any money compared to buying the phone out right.

The contract price of a S6 Edge is 349.99 with a $70 plan Tbay plan which has the same minutes/data as the Legacy $50 Tbay plan plan.

You could stick with your $50 plan, and buy the phone outright for 829.99.

What was that? Too expensive? You pay the same amount over two years! 50* 24 + 829.99 = 2029.99 vs 70 * 24 + 349.99 = 2029.99!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
EPcjay wrote: Regardless where you go, all providers require a 60+ price plan in order to get a subsidy and that doesnt even get you a compitable plan. If you change over to the NEW tbay plan, then you did not save any money compared to buying the phone out right.

The contract price of a S6 Edge is 349.99 with a $70 plan Tbay plan which has the same minutes/data as the Legacy $50 Tbay plan plan.

You could stick with your $50 plan, and buy the phone outright for 829.99.

What was that? Too expensive? You pay the same amount over two years! 50* 24 + 829.99 = 2029.99 vs 70 * 24 + 349.99 = 2029.99!
If they offer me $70 for tbay plan here in GTA I will take same cost of buying the phone outright.