• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2020 2:59 pm
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
84 posts
44 upvotes

Bell TV invoice question

Hi

(mods - if not correct section of the forums, please move)

I am helping a non-tech inclined friend with his telco stuff.
Looking at his Bell bill, he is paying 61$/m (plus 3$ service fee) + tax for the "Digital standard" package. Note: this is on Bell Satellite; FIBE (or any cable) is not an option in his area.
He has an old receiver & dish - nothing is being rented and no PVR.

He wants to keep TV, but I'd like to get him a better deal. Should we call in & threaten to cancel to get this lowered?
I have 0 things with Bell, so any input on dealing with Bell & Bell Satellite TV would be appreciated.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14101 posts
8503 upvotes
Toronto
DoNotBan wrote: Hi

(mods - if not correct section of the forums, please move)

I am helping a non-tech inclined friend with his telco stuff.
Looking at his Bell bill, he is paying 61$/m (plus 3$ service fee) + tax for the "Digital standard" package. Note: this is on Bell Satellite; FIBE (or any cable) is not an option in his area.
He has an old receiver & dish - nothing is being rented and no PVR.

He wants to keep TV, but I'd like to get him a better deal. Should we call in & threaten to cancel to get this lowered?
I have 0 things with Bell, so any input on dealing with Bell & Bell Satellite TV would be appreciated.
Bell will only offer 12/24 months @ $10-$15 off per month from loyalty provided he has other bell services. I have bell sat/2 hdpvrs/nothing rented. also internet/land line and been with bell since 2004.

The only other option is do the basic package and pick 10 channels for $20/month which will bring your basic package bill to $45. Else, you are in the $66+ range.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
84 posts
44 upvotes
Thanks for the input. The person only has Bell sat TV. No landline and mobile with another provider.
koffey wrote: Bell will only offer 12/24 months @ $10-$15 off per month from loyalty provided he has other bell services. I have bell sat/2 hdpvrs/nothing rented. also internet/land line and been with bell since 2004.

The only other option is do the basic package and pick 10 channels for $20/month which will bring your basic package bill to $45. Else, you are in the $66+ range.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14101 posts
8503 upvotes
Toronto
Than reducing services/channels is likely the only option since Bell does not provide discounts on Satellite. They would try to move the user to fibe to provide eligible promos but since it's not available, there's nothing else that can be done. Call loyalty but expect $5/month discount if anything. Also, moving to a basic $25 package like I mentioned above will remove any discounts, so there's no option to move to basic services and get a discount.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
84 posts
44 upvotes
koffey wrote: Than reducing services/channels is likely the only option since Bell does not provide discounts on Satellite. They would try to move the user to fibe to provide eligible promos but since it's not available, there's nothing else that can be done. Call loyalty but expect $5/month discount if anything. Also, moving to a basic $25 package like I mentioned above will remove any discounts, so there's no option to move to basic services and get a discount.
Thanks again. Is this new? I had Bell Satellite until+- 5 years ago. (I am not Netflix et al.) When I called to cancel, they offered to slash my rate by something like 40% for me to stay but I still declined.
Would playing the "I will cancel" card have any chance of working?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14101 posts
8503 upvotes
Toronto
DoNotBan wrote: Thanks again. Is this new? I had Bell Satellite until+- 5 years ago. (I am not Netflix et al.) When I called to cancel, they offered to slash my rate by something like 40% for me to stay but I still declined.
Would playing the "I will cancel" card have any chance of working?
Not entirely since fibe isn't an option, there isn't going to be many options for this person for tv. Satellite is probably the only option but call in, request to speak with loyalty and see what happens. I know that I don't bother suggesting that I'll cancel my service, it's just a game these days and bell plays along. They don't really offer much for dish, they want to move you over to fibe.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11049 posts
7409 upvotes
GTA, ON
Your buddy is in between a rock and hard place. Because they only have satellite at their home with no possibility of traditional cable, or even Bell Fibe, there is not much alternative as there is no negotiation on alternative competition. Other than reducing services, there is only the threat of cancel. Maybe if they threaten to cancel Bell can throw in some loyalty credits to help with the bill.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!