Expired Hot Deals

Bell

YMMV - S21+ (Extremely Good Offer on Upgrade may be price error)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 12:57 am
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
2253 posts
705 upvotes
GTA
thesubmitter wrote: Meh, i dont think thats the test to apply. If your lease payment is less than the depreciation of that phone or a similar phone it just makes financial sense vs purchase snd sell. Otherwise buy used etc... (same logic as cars)
Bell isnt in the business operating a charity, it doesnt matter what the depreciation is as long as these lease phones are tacted onto their outragous phone plans. At the end of this you're playing about $2,400 over two years without owning the device. No matter which way you want to spin it, you dont win in this scenario.

Edit: I forgot to add that you also risk buying out the broken phone as well, leaving you more in the hole as you now paid way over for basically a broken phone.
Last edited by darkmagician on Jun 2nd, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short make it long
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6115 posts
7416 upvotes
The NORTH
darkmagician wrote: Bell isnt in the business operating a charity, it doesnt matter what the depreciation is as long as these lease phones are tacted onto their outragous phone plans. At the end of this you're playing about $2,400 over two years without owning the device. No matter which way you want to spin it, you dont win in this scenario.
This! You just can't get this thru some block headed individuals. Bell is doing what is in the best interest of BELL. They are locking you into a payment plan and milking you for every penny they can.
Mar 21, 2019
70 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
The old phone plans when I was looking at them when I bought my s10+ was 130 bucks a month and 500 down now that was a rip off but me getting a s21+ for 7 bucks a month on top of my 80 bucks a month which I was already paying doesn't sound bad to me. Even if I break it I only pay 640 extra and yeah it may suck to pay 640 for a phone that broken but I'd rather take the chance then spend 1500 to buy the phone and you can still break it at any time
Aug 29, 2018
355 posts
236 upvotes
What if you cancel your phone plan? Do you have to buy out the remaining balance on the phone?
Aug 29, 2018
355 posts
236 upvotes
AdamN8304 wrote: The old phone plans when I was looking at them when I bought my s10+ was 130 bucks a month and 500 down now that was a rip off but me getting a s21+ for 7 bucks a month on top of my 80 bucks a month which I was already paying doesn't sound bad to me. Even if I break it I only pay 640 extra and yeah it may suck to pay 640 for a phone that broken but I'd rather take the chance then spend 1500 to buy the phone and you can still break it at any time
Why were you paying $80/month for a phone plan is a better question? That's a rip off.
Mar 21, 2019
70 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Well technically I have a loyalty $5 credit so that brings it to 75 for 30gb plus my gf has a second line on the plan and she pays 50$ for 30 gb so it evens out
Jan 13, 2017
420 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
I can confirm, NOT a Price Error. Just a great deal from Bell for once. This is Bell being "competitive", which is a great thing.

I got two S21 256gb last month for $1.09 /month each. If you're adding additional lines and you have Bell Internet and TV, then you get an additional $15 discount on the monthly rate.
Last edited by rendered22 on Jun 2nd, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6115 posts
7416 upvotes
The NORTH
rendered22 wrote: Bell has really stepped their game up, and the only way to shelter yourself and your plans from yearly price increases is to lock into a hardware/device contract for 24 months... Great idea to lease top end devices for only a few bucks per month, because at the end of the 24 months, the devices become nearly obsolete, and battery becomes poor, and you'll want the latest a greatest device anyways.
Bell has stepped up there game but you admit that they will still keep increasing your prices? WAT? And the only way to protect yourself is to lock into a contract? Double WAT? Then you go on to BS about a flagship device being obsolete after 24 months with a poor battery??? Perhaps you can back this up with some facts. I have a flagship Note 10+ that I have had for 1.5 years and my battery is still at 95% of original with daily media consumption (twitch) according to a years worth of Accubattery data. Its also as fast as the day I bought it. My backup is a Pixel 2XL that is almost 5 years old and again its as snappy as ever and I get 1 to 2 days out of a full charge.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jun 3rd, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: chill
Aug 29, 2018
355 posts
236 upvotes
AdamN8304 wrote: Well technically I have a loyalty $5 credit so that brings it to 75 for 30gb plus my gf has a second line on the plan and she pays 50$ for 30 gb so it evens out
Well I disagree that 75 + 50 = 125 is a good price for 2 phone lines, you can get 2 lines from freedom mobile for 15 + 20, albeit not with 30gb.

But whatever, I admit that if you need Bell coverage, 5g, huge data allowance, then yes 80 / month plus the phone lease is not terrible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1206 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
thesubmitter wrote: Meh, i dont think thats the test to apply. If your lease payment is less than the depreciation of that phone or a similar phone it just makes financial sense vs purchase snd sell. Otherwise buy used etc... (same logic as cars)
I was also super anti-lease for phones as I have the funds to buy outright if necessary. I hate when people are stupid enough to think that paying ten bucks a month is worth it to save $200 off the price of the phone. You need up paying a 20% premium for the privilege paying monthly and less upfront.

But in this instance, of the phones depreciating so fast, no financing costs, and if you are lucky to not to break your phone, get out of the deal having spent less than $200 taxes in (assuming you don't have to increase your plan), seems like a decent bet.

My notion about the potential price error is that the lease math DOES NOT work nearly as nicely on other phones offered by Bell - even those with lower 'MSRP' (yes the $1,700 rack price is inflated) had higher lease payments. That is what me redo the math and say yes, let's gamble.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
2394 posts
1143 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
My $45 plan is not eligible for this phone. Why the hell does the phone show up in my upgrade option?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20119 posts
8129 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Alkhemist wrote: Whoever is poopooing leasing is locked into a certain mode of thinking. Tunnel vision.

Take into account the HORRIBLE resell value of a android phone, the fact that after 6 months there's newer and better phones out there, and people generally change their phones in 2 years.

If you're a person who still has a 2017 phone right now, leasing isn't for you. But for people who generally like new gadgets, don't want to be locked into 1500 devices, this is a good deal.
I've been driving the same car for 12 years and I bought the thing used, still in great shape and no plans to replace it any time soon.
Still using Essential phone here. Having new things all the time just for the sake of it being new is just not a priority for me.

So yeah, buying a new phone every year or two or leasing one both seem like bad deals to me. Anyway, I agree with you that if you're replacing something frequently long before it's actual usable life expires leasing makes sense sometimes, but being in that situation in the first place is not really financially sound no matter how you look at it.
Last edited by BinaryJay on Jun 3rd, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes
rendered22 wrote: I can confirm, NOT a Price Error. Just a great deal from Bell for once. This is Bell being "competitive", which is a great thing.

I got two S21 256gb last month for $1.09 /month each. If you're adding additional lines and you have Bell Internet and TV, then you get an additional $15 discount on the monthly rate.
rendered22 wrote: I can confirm, NOT a Price Error. Just a great deal from Bell for once. This is Bell being "competitive", which is a great thing.

1. Good point about combo discount Slightly Smiling Face

2. I leased from Bell a Samsung S21+ for $1.79 a month for 2 years plus tax. Great camera and features.

I got it with win back plan 25 Gb unlimited Canadian talk and text for $100-$55 discount plus tax.

Got it at Costco and got 24 month warranty for $130 with tax after $150 promo. They have the best warranty for Android phones I have found so far...

Got free wireless buds and car charger they give all customers.

3. A big YMMV... Thanks Bell!

4. Bought an Otterbox defender for ~ $60+tax from Amazon
IMG_20210603_010720.jpg
Nov 24, 2019
121 posts
78 upvotes
So just to be clear, this is not for new customers? I only see it at like 9 bucks a month or something, not $1 a month. Would really hate to give up my rogers 50$ for 30gb I have, but could eliminate my wifes freedom bill if we just shared data from this $80 plan with 2 new S21's
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1018 posts
152 upvotes
According to Rogers website I can get a galaxy s20 ultra for 20$/month for 24 months (no buyout), comes out to 480$ over 2 years for a phone that is roughly 1600$ now...

Something doesn't ad up, am I missing something? It seems to good to be true.
Jan 20, 2007
359 posts
119 upvotes
Montreal
Is this deal dead already?

Confirm I saw this yesterday, but today it does not appear to be available any longer, showing as $13.34 /mo.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2709 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wlee wrote: Don't drop the phone then
Treat the phone like you would a bar of soap if you were in prison. Never drop it.
Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes
gotrice wrote: According to Rogers website I can get a galaxy s20 ultra for 20$/month for 24 months (no buyout), comes out to 480$ over 2 years for a phone that is roughly 1600$ now...

Something doesn't ad up, am I missing something? It seems to good to be true.
Go to Costco if you have a membership. Their vendors tend to be most straightforward.

Check out this video, tell me what you think of s21:

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1206 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
Lotek9119 wrote: So just to be clear, this is not for new customers? I only see it at like 9 bucks a month or something, not $1 a month. Would really hate to give up my rogers 50$ for 30gb I have, but could eliminate my wifes freedom bill if we just shared data from this $80 plan with 2 new S21's
I don't think so. There was an extra $240 discount ($10 per month) for a "loyalty discount"