8339 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not surprised ...
Especially seeing as Costco Canada regularly carries some items
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6222 posts
2642 upvotes
Winter 2017 I saw a lot of kids labelled Bench but after, nothing. Dead to them. I'm not sure that I would stock up.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1482 posts
472 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
I was surprised they had stores.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10293 posts
2875 upvotes
caltran wrote: I was surprised they had stores.
I was visiting Kingston ON over the holidays and I was in the store there. Virtually empty even with the store being almost all 50%+ off. I was kind of surprised it wasn't busier.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12940 posts
13068 upvotes
Oakville
On to the next fad, not really news.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5871 posts
857 upvotes
Scarborough
never really bought anything from that store.
Feel sorry for the employees that will lose their employment.

I can't understand why so many stores just can't be successful here. Surely the GTA population is huge.
Maybe too much tax on clothing here ??
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10293 posts
2875 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: never really bought anything from that store.

I can't understand why so many stores just can't be successful here. Surely the GTA population is huge.
To be fair clothing is very competitive and Bench is not exactly mainstream. As others have said it was trendy for a while but not so much right now.

Clothing retail (especially bricks and mortar) is a major challenge at the best of times.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12940 posts
13068 upvotes
Oakville
apnayloags wrote: never really bought anything from that store.

Just competition from the likes of Winners and H&M and whatever new brand is in fad. Canadians do tend to waste less money on clothes than americans, who change their wardrobe much more frequently to keep up with the Jones.
Needlessly buying clothes is actually a big harm to the environment, instead of wearing it until it falls apart. Though maybe americans grow (from fatness) out of their clothes faster than we do. Hell most of my clothes are 10+ years old. My going out clothes eventually get retired to only wearing around the house, then finally to wash cloth when it wears out.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10230 posts
1515 upvotes
Toronto
Does this mean we're gonna start seeing people with the flipped up collar again? Always used to laugh at this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6466 posts
6648 upvotes
Vancouver
kool1 wrote: Should be some good deals coming soon....
Riiiight. How "going out of business sales" work:

1. Announce closure
  2. Announce liquidation sale to great fanfare
  3. Jack up all prices to MSRP except have a 20% off "blowout" on certain items. This will be no better—probably worse—than their typical sales event
  4. Once deeper discounting starts, all the good stuff will have been already snapped up by clueless consumers in step 3

Future Stop, Eaton's, Target, it's the same song and dance every time.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10293 posts
2875 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Riiiight. How "going out of business sales" work:

1. Announce closure
  2. Announce liquidation sale to great fanfare
  3. Jack up all prices to MSRP except have a 20% off "blowout" on certain items. This will be no better—probably worse—than their typical sales event
  4. Once deeper discounting starts, all the good stuff will have been already snapped up by clueless consumers in step 3

Future Stop, Eaton's, Target, it's the same song and dance every time.
Probably right lol
Dec 17, 2019
20 posts
4 upvotes
hopefully can snatch up some deals

*hand rubbing intensifies* haha
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3594 posts
2824 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Probably right lol
Definitely right if Hilco is handling the liquidations. You can spot them from a kilometre away -- loud fluorescent yellow signs with bold black text... same ones you saw at Eatons, Target, Sears...
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4709 posts
1511 upvotes
Debtario
Not surprised since costco began stocking them. I remember they started to catch on with the huge branding on the back of popped collars but then faded away just as quick.

I don't know if they were ever quality and got bought out or what, I picked up some sweatshirts at costco and they are okay, but seem to be the same made in Cambodia manufactured by co apparel stuff as most of the other costco brands (cloud veil, bc clothing, Kirkland, etc)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)