286 upvotes

[Benjamin Moore] Benjamin Moore - Regal Select paint - buy 2 get 1 free

Savings:
Expiry:
September 22, 2019
Retailer:
Benjamin Moore
More offers from Benjamin Moore
I was listening to the radio and I heard a sale ad for Benjamin Moore Regal Select paint. Buy 2 cans get 1 free.

I guess people consider Benjamin Moore to be the best in retail paint quality. With the lack of sales/discounts this is as good I have seen, usually there is no sale and no discount.

I think I heard the sale starts this Thursday and runs four days. I can't find any info on the internet, so I guess for those people who are interested in Benjamin Moore they can call the store and inquire for exact details.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
4475 posts
1551 upvotes
Collingwood is an excellent paint color by the way if anyone is looking for recommendations.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1715 posts
842 upvotes
Any opinions on how BM compares to Sherwin-Williams?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2067 posts
596 upvotes
I used BM regal to paint my entire house. I found I had to do 3 coats when painting white.

In comparison to Behr, Regal is much thinner. Behr is far more "latexy". When I painted with behr I didn't need to put drop sheets down over my hardwood because when it dried it just peeled off with my fingernail in big globs.

I tried to do the same with Regal and it did not come off. I had to spend hours scraping. Lesson learned. However although it was far more labour intensive, I'm much happier with the finish of BM Regal. It feels superior and more upscale. I went with BM Simply White and it looks fantastic.
Mar 12, 2012
419 posts
233 upvotes
Belleville
fastmiele wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:01 pm
I think I heard the sale starts this Thursday and runs four days. I can't find any info on the internet, so I guess for those people who are interested in Benjamin Moore they can call the store and inquire for exact details.
You're correct!

From the facebook page of my local Benjamin Moore dealer:

Our best selling paint is going on sale for 4 days this Thursday-Monday. Buy 2 Regal Select get 1 free!!
Mar 22, 2017
573 posts
450 upvotes
aviator_13 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 7:43 am
Any opinions on how BM compares to Sherwin-Williams?
I used SW and did a lot of research on BM, and honestly the answer is - it depends.

SW has a few different types of mid-to-high end paint.

Superpaint - primer plus paint, it's midrange, but easy to apply and fairly good two-coat coverage. Pros will sometimes use this because it's quick and works pretty well.
Cashmere/Opulence - it's a 'showcase' paint that looks beautiful on the wall, touches up wonderfully, and it's easy to apply. No primer so that's separate, and it's not really washable/scrubbable. (I used this for low-traffic areas in matte and it looks Awesome).
Duration - it's their cross-linked paint, it's extremely durable once cured (can wash and scrub it). Does have a primer in it. Texture on the wall isn't quite as nice as Opulence/Cashmere. Used in bathrooms and kitchen.
Emerald - their highest end paint, very high solids, self priming, also crosslinks. It's an awesome paint, but not cheap and because it's high solids it's unforgiving if you take a long time to paint (say you cut in a wall, then drink a coffee, then paint the middle part - might get some letterboxing).
Eminence - their ceiling paint, it sucks.

Regal is similar to Cashmere (Regal slightly better on washability). Aura is similar to Emerald (Aura slightly better). Duration's kind of different - I'd use it if you want something that's tough and are willing to compromise slightly on finish. My personal experience has been with Cashmere and it looks awesome (two-coat finish).

For colour, I really liked 'On the Rocks'. It's a true neutral grey, and that is HARD to find. Most greys have an undertone (blue, brown, green or purple) that won't show up in brightly lit, south facing rooms but will show up strongly in north facing rooms or on cloudy days. I was going to choose 'Passive', which is a slightly cool grey (slight blue undertone), but when i tried a sample in a north facing room it was bright robin's egg blue. On the Rocks is a perfect light grey colour in every room, so you can paint the whole house that colour if you want, worry free. It makes it look consistent, goes with everything, and you can easily add colour with furnishings and art if desired.

EDIT: I found a great little writeup on the best interior paint, and the two best ones were... drum roll... Regal Select and Cashmere/Opulence. It's from the wirecutter, see link below:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-interior-paint/
Last edited by grumble on Sep 18th, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
I dont know if all stores do this, but our local store will let you pre pay now for 3 cans to get the deal and then they keep it on file so you can wait for months to actually get whatever colours you want at that time.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
4475 posts
1551 upvotes
cappaj wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 9:40 am
I dont know if all stores do this, but our local store will let you pre pay now for 3 cans to get the deal and then they keep it on file so you can wait for months to actually get whatever colours you want at that time.
Yes, my store did the exact same thing back when I took advantage of this deal couple years ago.
Nov 23, 2017
114 posts
49 upvotes
Thanks OP, this is great timing for me if my local store participates.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1715 posts
842 upvotes
grumble wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 8:57 am
I used SW and did a lot of research on BM, and honestly the answer is - it depends.

SW has a few different types of mid-to-high end paint.

Superpaint - primer plus paint, it's midrange, but easy to apply and fairly good two-coat coverage. Pros will sometimes use this because it's quick and works pretty well.
Cashmere/Opulence - it's a 'showcase' paint that looks beautiful on the wall, touches up wonderfully, and it's easy to apply. No primer so that's separate, and it's not really washable/scrubbable. (I used this for low-traffic areas in matte and it looks Awesome).
Duration - it's their cross-linked paint, it's extremely durable once cured (can wash and scrub it). Does have a primer in it. Texture on the wall isn't quite as nice as Opulence/Cashmere. Used in bathrooms and kitchen.
Emerald - their highest end paint, very high solids, self priming, also crosslinks. It's an awesome paint, but not cheap and because it's high solids it's unforgiving if you take a long time to paint (say you cut in a wall, then drink a coffee, then paint the middle part - might get some letterboxing).
Eminence - their ceiling paint, it sucks.

Regal is similar to Cashmere (Regal slightly better on washability). Aura is similar to Emerald (Aura slightly better). Duration's kind of different - I'd use it if you want something that's tough and are willing to compromise slightly on finish. My personal experience has been with Cashmere and it looks awesome (two-coat finish).

For colour, I really liked 'On the Rocks'. It's a true neutral grey, and that is HARD to find. Most greys have an undertone (blue, brown, green or purple) that won't show up in brightly lit, south facing rooms but will show up strongly in north facing rooms or on cloudy days. I was going to choose 'Passive', which is a slightly cool grey (slight blue undertone), but when i tried a sample in a north facing room it was bright robin's egg blue. On the Rocks is a perfect light grey colour in every room, so you can paint the whole house that colour if you want, worry free. It makes it look consistent, goes with everything, and you can easily add colour with furnishings and art if desired.
Amazing - thanks for the perspective. Would thank twice if I could
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8634 posts
6261 upvotes
Markham
Just so people know, the Regal line isn't BM's best paint. This isn't a "forever" paint. This is a mid-range paint. If you want their best stuff, stuff that is truly amazing, you gotta get the Aura line.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2006
986 posts
286 upvotes
Xoanan wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 8:23 am
You're correct!

From the facebook page of my local Benjamin Moore dealer:

Our best selling paint is going on sale for 4 days this Thursday-Monday. Buy 2 Regal Select get 1 free!!
I heard it again on the Fan590 radio channel today and it indeed its Thursday. The bad thing is they don't give much details of purchase sale except third can is free. They say go into store for details. I guess its one of these companies/brands that don't like to say they are having a discount because it makes their product/name sound cheaper.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2006
986 posts
286 upvotes
ryan0462 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 1:44 pm
Thanks OP, this is great timing for me if my local store participates.
I can see some stores refusing to honour sale.