• Mar 30th, 2020 11:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown

Bent USB port

just noticed on my Asus Vivobook 14 i got on here during the sale has a bent USB port, almost U shaped on the bottom, not even close to allowing a USB stick in, any low tech way to repair it? being plastic bottom case, i would think prying it with needle nosed pliers is a no no.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
With USB ports, there is a metal housing that surrounds the port. It's highly unlikely it would be made of plastic.

It may be best to remove the logic board from the case and then straighten the metal housing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
yes, sorry, i should have explained better, it's the port housing, i meant i couldn't just pry it with needle nosed pliers because the bottom of the laptop is plastic. I'm not very confident taking a laptop apart, all i did to this one is add RAM so i think warranty is voided since i opened it, and replaced Windows 10 S with Home.
Last edited by townie22 on Mar 30th, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
The port will most likely be fine with the unbending, though it's probably easier to open it up & replace the port
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
townie22 wrote: yes, sorry, i should have explained better, it's the port housing, i meant i couldn't just pry it with needle nosed pliers because the bottom of the laptop is plastic. I'm not very confident taking a laptop apart, all i did to this one is add RAM so i think warranty is voided since i opened it, and replaced Windows 10 S with Home.
See if it were to me, I would have opened it up and taken the board out. Then with some pliers gently unbend the metal. Check the solders, maybe heat em up just in case and it should be good.

Though you would probably be better off taking it to a repair guy and getting the port replaced. Any electronic repair shop should be able to do the work, if you get em the exact port and the board (preferably in an anti static bag)
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop