Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 28, 2011
16 posts
4 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Benz CLA (2014-2015)

I am in the market for new car and the CLA has caught my interest. Does anyone here own either the 2014 or 2015 model, if you so can you answer a few questions for me?

1) How is the CLA as a daily driver?
2) Is the ride quality comfortable?
3) Does it make a lot of road noise on the stock tires?
4) Are you leasing or financing? Is it a high maintenance vehicle?
5) Can you provide a rough $ figure on what your monthly payments are if you are leasing or financing? Anywhere I look, the best i can get is around the low $500 range.

I am coming from fully modified Genesis Coupe on coilovers so i am assuming the ride quality would be better. The car is a lot of fun but i am married now and misses is not all that happy with car and i don't blame her, the ride is pretty harsh and it is not a quiet car by a long shot :D .

Also which dealership would you recommend?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3934 posts
1064 upvotes
Toronto
CLA is pretty small, no?

backseat is very crampy and its not easy to get in and out, and trunk size is a bit on the small end

if you plan to have kids, i dunno how well the CLA accommodates car seats due to the lack of interior space
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6783 posts
4352 upvotes
Toronto
Just went for a drive to midland beach and back to GTA. I must admit, ride was harsh. You feel every pebbles and I do not want to go for a long drive again. I have a headache now.

This is my significant other daily driver and she commutes 10mins to work. Its great I thought for last 1 year. The sports suspension was great and lowered stance was good too but other day when I went over a speed bump at ultra slow speed, car bottomed out.

Other thing I don't like is the shifting. Its gawd damn so slow. I driven crappy Mazda automatic, currently have 6 speed manual and this 7speed DCT is suxor. If you want to pass someone on left or right immediately, forget it. You need to press the gas 5 seconds in advance to have the engine match torque with the transmission, then you are in business!

Other the that, great short distance grocery getter! Great style and tight suspension.
Jun 10, 2015
280 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Everyone driving a CLA now a days. Didn't realize why until I searched for it on the MB website.

Is CLA the new entry level luxury vehicle?
Aug 25, 2009
564 posts
115 upvotes
I think the C300/400 is a better value but more costly

CLA looks cheap and small
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13572 posts
2959 upvotes
Toronto
I've driven the CLA 250 4matic. The interior is fantastic. The materials feel great and the layout for the controls are easy to reach and use. The seats were very comfortable and supoortive. Now besides that, its very small inside. Not much legroom for rear passengers unless they are kids. The visibility isnt the best with the small rear window and small door windows. You might want to add the package with the blind spot monitor. The car does drive great, it has good get up and go and the brakes work very well. Suspension is sporty and firm, but it's not too bad. Handling is excellent and it makes a nice sound when you floor it despite it being a 4 cylinder. It's a really nice car overall and definitely has the best interior of all cars in its class. When I tested the c300, I found it much more comfortable inside. It's more money, but its worth it
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes
If you must buy a Benz, I'd recommend Benz C400 for a family. It will cost a lot more though.

You could wait for 2016 Lexus IS200T

I wouldn't buy CLA250. I may consider CLA45 AMG as a family car if the kids aren't big. With a family, I'd get Lexus IS200T or IS350 F Sport
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20559 posts
9075 upvotes
Toronto
trixstar wrote: I've driven the CLA 250 4matic. The interior is fantastic. The materials feel great and the layout for the controls are easy to reach and use. The seats were very comfortable and supoortive. Now besides that, its very small inside. Not much legroom for rear passengers unless they are kids. The visibility isnt the best with the small rear window and small door windows. You might want to add the package with the blind spot monitor. The car does drive great, it has good get up and go and the brakes work very well. Suspension is sporty and firm, but it's not too bad. Handling is excellent and it makes a nice sound when you floor it despite it being a 4 cylinder. It's a really nice car overall and definitely has the best interior of all cars in its class. When I tested the c300, I found it much more comfortable inside. It's more money, but its worth it
Brakes better work well.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13572 posts
2959 upvotes
Toronto
when we inquired about a red cla in top trim, it was a 2 month wait. they have lots of black and white models at the shipping dock though. those are the most popular colors. Markham mercedes on kennedy/highway 7 was good. 3% over invoice
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6670 posts
2314 upvotes
Slightly OT; I've noticed while driving on the 401, the CLA is almost always driven by some douchey, tail gating lane weaver. (Not implying OP will be)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7324 posts
1865 upvotes
If you're married and plan to start a family, do not get the CLA as the rear seats are so tiny that you'll have trouble putting in a rear facing car seat for your kid. The trunk is so small that a stroller will eat up most of it. I think a small SUV is a better choice if you have only one vehicle in the family.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Spyd3r wrote:
I wouldn't buy CLA250. I may consider CLA45 AMG as a family car if the kids aren't big. With a family, I'd get Lexus IS200T or IS350 F Sport
They both have tiny back seats only meant to transport small children.
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
OP have you considered the GLA? I think the architecture is the same as the CLA but it's a hatch and slightly higher/softer suspension. The hatch form factor should be better for your new family and suspension should be better for ride.

Or just get a GLA AMG.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes
fred2028 wrote: OP have you considered the GLA? I think the architecture is the same as the CLA but it's a hatch and slightly higher/softer suspension. The hatch form factor should be better for your new family and suspension should be better for ride.

Or just get a GLA AMG.
+1

Definitely recommend GLA over CLA for a family. Either GLA 250 or GLA AMG would be nice. My chiropractor has GLA250 in red color and it looks gorgeous.
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
Spyd3r wrote: +1

Definitely recommend GLA over CLA for a family. Either GLA 250 or GLA AMG would be nice. My chiropractor has GLA250 in red color and it looks gorgeous.
Also forgot to mention, there isn't a huge price difference either between the CLA/GLA, I think around $2,000? GLA AMG is definitely the one I'd go for from the Benz line up, especially given the new one that's gonna have 376 HP and 350 lb.ft torque. There's also an option for variable exhaust, so it's relatively quiet if you're not WOT around town (good for your wife) but snarls and pops when you press the exhaust button.
Sep 4, 2005
940 posts
64 upvotes
Not to complicate things too much for the OP, but got family duties, isn't a B250 better? Great space inside given its footprint, 4Matic available this year. Around the same price (or less?) than a CLA. Much much more practical car.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
I sat in a CLA45 top spec with aluminum trim seats, feels extremely sporty and interior looks really good, better than C400 interior for similar price
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6387 posts
3094 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Spyd3r wrote: You could wait for 2016 Lexus IS200T
Too bad it still has those ugly headlights. They could have at least made it more like the Lexus RC which has headlights that look slightly better.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!