Food & Drink

Berkshire Pork, Superstore

  • Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2015 6:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes

Berkshire Pork, Superstore

Flyer promotion starts today, Berkshire pork, 5 cuts.

Pork loin centre cut chops, bone-in, $9.98 lb.
Rib belly portion, $11.98 lb.
Pork loin centre cut roast, boneless, $10.48 lb.
Pork loin centre cut chops, boneless, $10.98 lb.
Pork loin centre cut roast, bone-in, $9.48.

Was going to post in the cheap meat thread, but it's not really cheap, but decent prices for premium pork.

Picked up chops today to grill tomorrow.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28460 posts
14025 upvotes
Nice to see Berkshire in a grocery store but for me I'd rather get it from a butcher.
For one, they can cut it to order. I've made friends with my pork guy. He saves me some beautiful chops that are double boned.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Nice to see Berkshire in a grocery store but for me I'd rather get it from a butcher.
For one, they can cut it to order. I've made friends with my pork guy. He saves me some beautiful chops that are double boned.
Me too. I wish I knew of a butcher here that brought it in.

I'm thinking of giving the chops a light but spicy rub, grilling them and maybe lightly smoking with smoker box chips, then serving them with steamed brussels spouts with mustard butter and green rice. Very simple dinner so the pork is the star. Probably a Malbec for wine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28460 posts
14025 upvotes
Dammit. Why did I come back... now I'm hungry....

Last ones I had I just salted and SV them at 145F. Seared them off and just ate them.
They were delicious. I'm sure I could have seasoned them more but the flavor of Berkshire is glorious. I wanted to taste it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Dammit. Why did I come back... now I'm hungry....

Last ones I had I just salted and SV them at 145F. Seared them off and just ate them.
They were delicious. I'm sure I could have seasoned them more but the flavor of Berkshire is glorious. I wanted to taste it.
Have you tried Nagano pork? Excellent.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes
I thought the pork belly would just be for making bacon, but it looks like you can treat it like ribs. Hope they've brought in some of that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28460 posts
14025 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Have you tried Nagano pork? Excellent.
Never heard of it.
bonterra wrote: I thought the pork belly would just be for making bacon, but it looks like you can treat it like ribs. Hope they've brought in some of that.
The same butcher had Pork Belly lollipops. Basically left them on the rib with the skin and stuff.
I SVed and deep fried them and they turned out quite nicely.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes
Well, I got a big piece of Berkshire pork belly. Going to try making bacon. Any helpful hints are appreciated.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28460 posts
14025 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Well, I got a big piece of Berkshire pork belly. Going to try making bacon. Any helpful hints are appreciated.
I'm not sure I'd use Berkshire for belly. It's quite fatty which is great for chops but not so much for bacon.
That said, bacon is next on my list of things to do. Gotta drag out ye olde' smoker and go to town.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11797 posts
5719 upvotes
My butcher does Berkshire cold smoked chop. Just a quick grill on the BBQ and the the BEST chops I have ever ate!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: My butcher does Berkshire cold smoked chop. Just a quick grill on the BBQ and the the BEST chops I have ever ate!
I've had cold smoked Nagano chops, best chops i ever ate.

Finding out where to get curing salt to cure my bacon.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7441 posts
2496 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I'm not sure I'd use Berkshire for belly. It's quite fatty which is great for chops but not so much for bacon.
That said, bacon is next on my list of things to do. Gotta drag out ye olde' smoker and go to town.
Got the curing salt from a butcher so ready to go. I figure I could use regular pork belly anytime but using the heritage pork might be worth all the effort. Some places sell Berkshire bacon so it must be pretty good.

I'll just be smoking it on my BBQ grill with smoker box. I've been resisting buying a smoker, got too much space invested in cooking equipment. Case in point, never used (but half price) indoor turkey fryer. Lol!!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11797 posts
5719 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Got the curing salt from a butcher so ready to go. I figure I could use regular pork belly anytime but using the heritage pork might be worth all the effort. Some places sell Berkshire bacon so it must be pretty good.

I'll just be smoking it on my BBQ grill with smoker box. I've been resisting buying a smoker, got too much space invested in cooking equipment. Case in point, never used (but half price) indoor turkey fryer. Lol!!
Care to share some pictures and steps of how to smoke on a BBQ with a smoker box? I have been wanting to try it.

Top