• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 11:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
306 posts
174 upvotes

Best 50-55" TV for under $900

Looking for a 4K 50-55" TV under $900 (excluding tax). I quickly glanced at some Samsungs and LGs, and they don't seem all that amazing.

What are my best options?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6436 posts
3021 upvotes
Durham
alexh9 wrote: Looking for a 4K 50-55" TV under $900 (excluding tax). I quickly glanced at some Samsungs and LGs, and they don't seem all that amazing.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

This site would help with your research of models.

Then search for the price on the retailers' sites.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Apr 18, 2017
807 posts
1669 upvotes
TCL makes some good options. I bought the TCL 5 series recently and its been really nice. I believe the 6 series is even better, but a bit more expensive.
Jan 12, 2017
620 posts
233 upvotes
Those amazing panels start close to double your budget, so come down to earth. First Tier is going to be LG, Samsung, Sony; you either are going 2nd tier of those same brands, or HiSenese, TCL, Vizio, Viewsonic or dare I mention 3rd tier RCA, Sanyo, Seiki, or Bolva. Some of these panels don't offer integrated tuners, which can give them a slight price advantage. Most have smart features that will likely be eclipsed but the one's that don't will be a bit of a savings (pick-up a firestick, done). If price is the bottom line, go for a Walmart deal, if warranty & possible return/exchange is important, go Costco. If quality is above all else within the budget, check RTINGS.com. If best bang for the buck within the budget is foremost, start checking the sales blurbs everywhere and be prepared to make a decision quickly.

I bought a 42" RCA for my sister with extended warranty at $299 from Walmart, still going strong and she love it. I personally have had a Viewsonic, Samsung, Asus and LG and would buy LG again. My buddy went for the TCL series 6 and is a happy camper; I understand TCL has series 4, 5, 6, and the series 6 is within your budget and rated pretty high at RTings. Keep in mind there is only around 3 plants that produce these consumer panels, so the 'real' trick is to look closely at the back of the panel just above the serial number for the date of manufacture; newer = better.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2626 posts
1542 upvotes
Ontario
Some TCL, some Hisense, and some Samsung and LG are about the best at the cheaper ranges.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5801 posts
4423 upvotes
alexh9 wrote: Looking for a 4K 50-55" TV under $900 (excluding tax). I quickly glanced at some Samsungs and LGs, and they don't seem all that amazing.

I would say eat out less for next 2-3 months and pay that extra $300 for a higher end tv and move on from there. You can keep asking this question year after year and wait year after year but in the end there is a difference between the higher ends and mid end tvs.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
306 posts
174 upvotes
Dumb question, bear with me since I'm a TV newbie, but is TCL considered to be as good, or even better than Samsung/LG now? I see their 6 series getting a lot of praise. Are they reliable?