Food & Drink

Best Air Fryer (Espeically When Cleaning)?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2021 2:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1095 posts
331 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
My old small 4 slice toaster oven is recently acting up (temperature often too high or low) so I'm thinking of a big 6 slice toaster oven or an air fryer toaster oven as replacement. If my current toaster oven was acting up around BF/BD I would have got the Instant Pot Vortex 10qt for $130 but now the price is back at usual $180.

Not sure what I will do, but I found some current on-sale deals that may be of interest on Hamilton Beach 6 slice toaster ovens, there is a $69.99 convection model at Cdn Tire and a $99.99 air fry model at London Drugs. Both can take a regular 12" pizza. The prices probably last until March 3 or 4.

I checked both in stores & they look internally identical so they probably cook the same, and the convection versus air fry description is probably just a marketing differentiation. However the $69 version does not have the air fry basket, while the $99 version has the basket and is styled nicer in appearance with grey paint and better knobs. Both have a pull-out crumb tray.

convection HB 31333DC: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hami ... p.html#srp

air fry HB 31324C: https://www.londondrugs.com/hamilton-be ... sters-oven

I have been using my old small toaster oven about 3 times a week, has been good for my simple cooking jobs (burger buns, frozen half pizza, wieners, frozen chicken burgers, frozen French Fries) but I would like to be able to cook things like actual chicken pieces (not the frozen processed stuff) without a lot of mess. I have roasted chicken legs and thighs in the small toaster oven a few times and it's actually not bad, but I think a convection or air fry oven would probably give better results.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3965 posts
1843 upvotes
Mississauga
adams7 wrote: My old small 4 slice toaster oven is recently acting up (temperature often too high or low) so I'm thinking of a big 6 slice toaster oven or an air fryer toaster oven as replacement. If my current toaster oven was acting up around BF/BD I would have got the Instant Pot Vortex 10qt for $130 but now the price is back at usual $180.

Not sure what I will do, but I found some current on-sale deals that may be of interest on Hamilton Beach 6 slice toaster ovens, there is a $69.99 convection model at Cdn Tire and a $99.99 air fry model at London Drugs. Both can take a regular 12" pizza. The prices probably last until March 3 or 4.

I checked both in stores & they look internally identical so they probably cook the same, and the convection versus air fry description is probably just a marketing differentiation. However the $69 version does not have the air fry basket, while the $99 version has the basket and is styled nicer in appearance with grey paint and better knobs. Both have a pull-out crumb tray.

convection HB 31333DC: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hami ... p.html#srp

air fry HB 31324C: https://www.londondrugs.com/hamilton-be ... sters-oven

I have been using my old small toaster oven about 3 times a week, has been good for my simple cooking jobs (burger buns, frozen half pizza, wieners, frozen chicken burgers, frozen French Fries) but I would like to be able to cook things like actual chicken pieces (not the frozen processed stuff) without a lot of mess. I have roasted chicken legs and thighs in the small toaster oven a few times and it's actually not bad, but I think a convection or air fry oven would probably give better results.
Air fryer and convection are essentially the same thing with hot air blown onto the food with a fan. The reason why air fryers work faster is because they are smaller than an over and therefore heat up faster and cook food quicker, most of the time.
The air fry tray, in your case, can be replaced with a cookie tray fitted inside. What it does is allow the air to circulate around food, again faster cooking.
I would highly and I do mean HIGHLY recommend you look into the Breville Smart oven Pro. Excellent piece of equipment that will last many many years.
Oct 8, 2020
25 posts
16 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I would highly and I do mean HIGHLY recommend you look into the Breville Smart oven Pro. Excellent piece of equipment that will last many many years.
I second this. It's on sale at William Sonoma for $400.

Breville-smart-oven-air
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19148 posts
2061 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Hey, I wouldn’t recommend a toaster oven style one h less you are committing to cleaning it religiously. I spent over 3 hours cleaning splatter worth about 3 weeks of moderate use.

Funny I see someone recommending the breville airfryer. That’s the one I have. Just get a ninja or instaPot one.

Get the egg style one that will contain the splatter and drips. These jacks of all trades machines have compromises although the breville s smart thermal does do a good job of cooking various modes. I’ve done a few things in it and it’s good. The airfryer is huge and can fit a relatively large cast iron pot or slow cooking and such. Cleaning it is a buzz kill though and you have to be careful how to clean or you mark up the stainless steel finish.

Accessories for them are also expensive. 3 dehydrating baskets is $130. That’s what most stand alone machines costs.
Oct 8, 2020
25 posts
16 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Hey, I wouldn’t recommend a toaster oven style one h less you are committing to cleaning it religiously. I spent over 3 hours cleaning splatter worth about 3 weeks of moderate use.

Funny I see someone recommending the breville airfryer. That’s the one I have. Just get a ninja or instaPot one.

Get the egg style one that will contain the splatter and drips. These jacks of all trades machines have compromises although the breville s smart thermal does do a good job of cooking various modes. I’ve done a few things in it and it’s good. The airfryer is huge and can fit a relatively large cast iron pot or slow cooking and such. Cleaning it is a buzz kill though and you have to be careful how to clean or you mark up the stainless steel finish.

Accessories for them are also expensive. 3 dehydrating baskets is $130. That’s what most stand alone machines costs.
Happy to trade my Instapot vortex for your Breville if you're in the GTA.