Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8402 posts
4358 upvotes

Best ALL around cash back credit card?

It seems that the Rogers World Elite at minimum 1.75% cashback on everything seems to be the best NO FEE cashback card out there.

Does anyone know what the best cashback card in terms of % cashback on EVERYTHING is for a FEE card? Just trying to see if there is a fee-card out there that gives the kind of cash back that merits the fee.
46 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10941 posts
13344 upvotes
Vancouver
Fee-based cards that give flat 2% have annual fees of $99 (Amex SC), $199 (Brim WE) or $120 (most others). A $120 annual fee at 2% will require $48,000 annual spend to beat Rogers WE's no-fee at 1.75%. But the insurances on the Rogers are quite poor; you may find it better to take a small hit in the earnings for better insurance on another card.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14339 posts
12134 upvotes
Going to the Moon
If you're willing to get into US cards, then you can increase your "base earn rate".

For less of a hassle, do some churning. Churn even a few card super year, and base earn rate becomes practically irrelevant.

OP, do you travel at all? Some travel cards are almost like cashback where you can redeem bank pts as statement credit towards travel spend, making them "good as cash". You'll generally get better earn rates and redemption values the deeper you plunge into travel cards, and may hit amazing earn rates on co-branded airline or hotel cards.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4667 posts
2703 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Fee-based cards that give flat 2% have annual fees of $99 (Amex SC), $199 (Brim WE) or $120 (most others). A $120 annual fee at 2% will require $48,000 annual spend to beat Rogers WE's no-fee at 1.75%. But the insurances on the Rogers are quite poor; you may find it better to take a small hit in the earnings for better insurance on another card.
If you are going to pay $99 fee, why not pick CIBC div Visa infinite which gives 4% for gas & grocery. You can also buy gift cards for non gas or grocery stores merchants(i.e. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Shoppers Drug Mart, etc.) at gas stations & grocery stores that also qualify for 4% cash back. If you buy gift cards at Shell, you will earn Airmiles.
Jan 9, 2020
84 posts
28 upvotes
Could you recommend some US credit cards? I have a US bank account and earn in USD but do not have an SSN/ITIN.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1852 posts
266 upvotes
COU
ml88888888 wrote: If you are going to pay $99 fee, why not pick CIBC div Visa infinite which gives 4% for gas & grocery. You can also buy gift cards for non gas or grocery stores merchants(i.e. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Shoppers Drug Mart, etc.) at gas stations & grocery stores that also qualify for 4% cash back. If you buy gift cards at Shell, you will earn Airmiles.
I'm such a newb. Never realized that. I'll have to pick up some gift cards at the grocery.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4667 posts
2703 upvotes
Riffer wrote: I'm such a newb. Never realized that. I'll have to pick up some gift cards at the grocery.
Buy gift cards at Shell if you want to get Airmiles.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1351 posts
1174 upvotes
Ontario
ml88888888 wrote: Buy gift cards at Shell if you want to get Airmiles.
Great advice! I never knew that.

With the Tangerine World MC you get 2% cash-back at Shell, if gas is one of your 3 categories. With no AF.

Do you know if it's possible to buy gift cards at Shell, without buying gas there? :-)
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4667 posts
2703 upvotes
banker8 wrote: Great advice! I never knew that.

With the Tangerine World MC you get 2% cash-back at Shell, if gas is one of your 3 categories. With no AF.

Do you know if it's possible to buy gift cards at Shell, without buying gas there? :-)
Yes, I do that all the times.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1351 posts
1174 upvotes
Ontario
justanotherstranger wrote: Yeah seems like it. That's great cuz my Checking account is with them as well. What is the best one if you do manage to get an SSN/ITIN?

Also, are there any cards with cashback and No FX if you are spending outside the USA?
Yes, all of the TD Bank N.A cards. They all have no FTF, with cash-back or rewards points.

Many more options are available, if you have SSN or ITIN. Check out the cross-border mega-thread.
Kiraly wrote: No idea, there is an enormous pile of cards in the USA to choose from if you have a SSN/ITIN. Best to ask on a US-based forum about what's available domestically there.
Hehe, don't send folks elsewhere. Be loyal to RFD! There's plenty of info in the cross-border mega-thread.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1351 posts
1174 upvotes
Ontario
ml88888888 wrote: Yes, I do that all the times.
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

So you can earn Shell Air Miles for any merchants issuing gift cards, and 2% cash-back with No AF (from Tangerine).

Looks like my Rogers WE will start to gather dust. Particularly after they've screwed us all, with the T&C updates.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4667 posts
2703 upvotes
banker8 wrote: That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

So you can earn Shell Air Miles for any merchants issuing gift cards, and 2% cash-back with No AF (from Tangerine).

Looks like my Rogers WE will start to gather dust. Particularly after they've screwed us all, with the T&C updates.
All merchant gift cards, except Shell’s own gift cards.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1351 posts
1174 upvotes
Ontario
ml88888888 wrote: All merchant gift cards, except Shell’s own gift cards.
That's OK, I wouldn't buy gas there.

I'd rather buy gas at Costco (a low price per-litre, and 2% cash-back with Tangerine World MC), or at Gas+ or Husky (5 cents per litre in CT money with Triangle WE).

Or even better, buy gas in the US when I travel there. Once they re-open the border.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4667 posts
2703 upvotes
banker8 wrote: That's OK, I wouldn't buy gas there.

I'd rather buy gas at Costco (a low price per-litre, and 2% cash-back with Tangerine World MC), or at Gas+ or Husky (5 cents per litre in CT money with Triangle WE).

Or even better, buy gas in the US when I travel there. Once they re-open the border.
I don’t think Costco gas stations are considered gas category for any credit card. So you won’t get 2%.