• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 7:42 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
446 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton

Best alternative to keep sun out during summer

I wouldn't mind a getting a film plastered on car windows every summer but it seems like tinting is expensive and not meant to be removed every year.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative, easy to slap/remove product that is dependable and can keep sun out (somewhat) and does not fall off while driving?
15 replies
Jul 20, 2016
728 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
i have 30% ceramic tint all around and visibility is more than acceptable, even at night. For my next car i'd prob go a touch darker if anything. I did it at my detailer for 360 + tax

otherwise you prob need something like this:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3603 posts
3718 upvotes
This is actually a fairly poorly understood topic. I mean, yeah, all of my cars have tinted windows, and in the back windows always to a very dark tint, but if you're looking to keep energy out, (and thus heat), you're not going to be making that big of a difference here. Why? Think about the R24 in your home's exterior walls. That's, what, 1 foot of insulation? Cars are not well insulated, at all - think about your car doors (metal) with little to no insulation, and how thin your car glass is.

That - and most people don't understand that blinds in a home are basically useless because the energy has already travelled through your window. 'Passive' homes, as an example, always point to exterior blinds for this reason. If you really want to keep that heat/energy out, you need tint on the outside of your car window, which is stupid, of course (due to impact).

Or, I guess you need a high end car with dual glazing and IR reflective material built into the glass.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
446 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton
Goose12345 wrote: i have 30% ceramic tint all around and visibility is more than acceptable, even at night. For my next car i'd prob go a touch darker if anything. I did it at my detailer for 360 + tax

otherwise you prob need something like this:
Thanks for replying with cost estimation.
I am not sure if I want the dark film to be around in winter.
May be I will look for a car windows sun shade that stick to glass surface by suction cups
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10852 posts
2691 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The best/easiest thing is going to be Ceramic Tint, I have 35% on my car and its great even at night. I put 40% on my parents car so its a little bit lighter but still helps keep the interior cooler. You can also get the windshield very lightly tinted like 80% where you wont even notice it but it will help keep the heat out & the windshield being so big it does allow lots of heat into the car.
luking wrote: I wouldn't mind a getting a film plastered on car windows every summer but it seems like tinting is expensive and not meant to be removed every year.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative, easy to slap/remove product that is dependable and can keep sun out (somewhat) and does not fall off while driving?
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
446 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton
sickcars wrote: The best/easiest thing is going to be Ceramic Tint, I have 35% on my car and its great even at night. I put 40% on my parents car so its a little bit lighter but still helps keep the interior cooler. You can also get the windshield very lightly tinted like 80% where you wont even notice it but it will help keep the heat out & the windshield being so big it does allow lots of heat into the car.
Yes, getting a light tint might not be a bad idea as one can keep it permanently.
I wonder if anyone here has any comments on the $20-$40 window cling films being sold at walmart, CT and autozone.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10852 posts
2691 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Those are going to crap compared to a ceramic coating. Also when you apply it its going to end up not being perfect and probably with bubbles and just look overall bad. If you want to keep the temps low then you needto spend the money and do it once properly and get good ceramic tint. I got mine done 4 years ago at http://www.pureauto.ca/automotive-tint-2/ they are very good.
luking wrote: Yes, getting a light tint might not be a bad idea as one can keep it permanently.
I wonder if anyone here has any comments on the $20-$40 window cling films being sold at walmart, CT and autozone.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18387 posts
2207 upvotes
Woodbridge
amazon sells those shades that sticks.

If you get Ceramic at 35% or higher doesn't it still help with reducing heat?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15135 posts
16122 upvotes
Oakville
angryaudifanatic wrote: This is actually a fairly poorly understood topic. I mean, yeah, all of my cars have tinted windows, and in the back windows always to a very dark tint, but if you're looking to keep energy out, (and thus heat), you're not going to be making that big of a difference here. Why? Think about the R24 in your home's exterior walls. That's, what, 1 foot of insulation? Cars are not well insulated, at all - think about your car doors (metal) with little to no insulation, and how thin your car glass is.

That - and most people don't understand that blinds in a home are basically useless because the energy has already travelled through your window. 'Passive' homes, as an example, always point to exterior blinds for this reason. If you really want to keep that heat/energy out, you need tint on the outside of your car window, which is stupid, of course (due to impact).

Or, I guess you need a high end car with dual glazing and IR reflective material built into the glass.
First off OP, you don't need dark tint to reject heat. You can get tint with high IR/UV (non visible light) rejection and keep the tint very light. It won't reject as much heat as a darker tint, but it's still quite a lot. I have 30% tint and it's relatively light and easy to see through at night.
There's also no reason you'd want to ever remove tint. You can DIY apply tint film, but it will look like shit.
Personally I tint my vehicles to help keep them cool and I use sunshield for the windshield when I park during the day. I also crack open the windows on really hot days when it's not going to rain. Next vehicle I do I will also get the windshield clear ceramic tinted so I don't have to bother with a sun shade.

So Audi, home insulation is mostly there to insulate from the outside air. Think of your attic at 550C, there's no sun in the attic, but keeps the radiant heat from entering the home.
So yea, cars have no insulation, so you'll never get it cooler than the outside temp at 34C. The sun will heat the interior over air temp, but it will be cooling off to the outside air constantly.

Now sunlight entering your car is going to increase the temp over the air temp, just like a greenhouse, or a solar water heating panel. Also a black car will get hotter than a white car for similar reasons. Standard windows will let in all the light/heat, while tinted will reflect much of it away.

As for interior blinds, yes, they aren't as effective as exterior shutters, or awnings. But they are better than nothing. A lot of the light will be reflected back out the window. Ideally you'd want low-e solar tinted windows as well, which will help keep out heat. In fact, I had them installed last summer and they reflect so much light that you can be outside in the natural shade, but if you step in the reflection from the window it'll still blind you and feel like you're in the sun. The rooms in the light are noticeably cooler.

Many sources like mythbusters have tested white vs black cars temps, essentially reflective vs non-reflective, and tinting the windows adds more reflectivity. Yes, it would be more effective on the outside, but most of the IR light will be reflected back out (just like it got in).
If you wanted to go nuts, you'd get chrome tinted windows and a chrome wrap/paint job.
The tint will also block UV light, which will help preserve your interior.

https://carfromjapan.com/article/indust ... et-hotter/

Use tinted windows
Install a windshield sunshade
Always park in a garage or under a shade

Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3122 posts
1944 upvotes
Montreal
I stick one of those static cling sunshades on driver's window if sun is coming from that side, dunno how much heat it actually reduces but my arms don't feel like burning anymore.

While parked I have reflective shade for windshield/sunroof/front/rear side window.
Jun 24, 2005
597 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Check out Llumar Air blue 80 which is pretty much a clear tint but is bluish. Even though it's not at all dark, they claim it rejects over 40% heat
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1346 posts
612 upvotes
Ontario
Your car is gonna bake no matter what you put in it for tint or those suction cup clip on things. Its just a matter of how long it takes (and even that is not a big difference.) Your still going to be getting in a car that is over 110*+ (and is hot!) if it sat for any length of time... (I've had many cars tinted with good tint and even had many windshields done as well to include the whole car.)
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15527 posts
4113 upvotes
Markham
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001108316527.html

search for Sun Shade, you will see tons of other options
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13111 posts
3572 upvotes
RFD
I bought those Weathertech Full Car Sunshade Kits and I think they are definitely worth it, despite being expensive. Comes with lifetime warranty that works. I think if you pair this with ceramic tint, you got a winning combination for 365 days to keep the interior cool.