Computers & Electronics

Best android box for most affordable price?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2018 7:21 pm
May 30, 2018
22 posts
7 upvotes

Best android box for most affordable price?

Just researching android boxes,I want to switch from Rogers to streaming and IPTV. I likely have to outfit 3 TV's,so I am looking for good affordable options for android boxes. It's likely we'd only use the box for IPTV,terrarium or Mobdro etc,as Netflix,YouTube we would run off Smart tv.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
best TV box is the one you will enjoying using with minimum issues. best value is the one with consistent updates so it's up to date for the longest. so for me, the best is my 3yr old Nvidia Shield. I've enjoyed every minute of it & almost 3yrs on, it's still consistently getting the lastest fw updates (Oreo as of lastweek). as of now, the K1 Tegra is still SOTA as far as TV boxes go. it does 4k, HDR @60fps with DOLBY ATMOS & DTS-X surround compatibilty & upto 24bit/192khz audio - all over HDMI. it's up to date with the latest HDMI 2.0b w/ HDCP 2.2 and CEC. oyaa, I get full 4k/HD with netflix if that's important.

that's not mentioning the occasionally casual gaming that I do on it. so for me, the Nvidia Shield is the BEST because after 3yrs of ownership, it's still THE BEST TV box cum gaming system on the market. for me, it's the most affordable because after 3yrs, I'm not spending any money on upgrades chasing after the lastest & greatest which for me is uncommon as I usually get bored with gadgets whenever there's something newer & better.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Mi Box 3, $78 from AliExpress.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Mi Box
Nvidia Shield
Amazon Firestick

These are the best, the cheap Chinese ones don't last and perform well under their supposed stats. Personally I use a Nvidia Shield in the family room and firesticks upstairs. No issues what so ever. MY firesticks perform better despite it being far lower in specs then the "cheap" boxes.

Mi Box is Chinese as well but reviews show it is more reliable then the no name ones out there.
Feb 12, 2017
57 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
Can a Fire Stick still run Firefox or other browsers to play web site videos without an app? (I'm interested in Chinese and Korean drama sites.)

Is YouTube still an outcast (no pun intended) app on the Fire Stick?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
Kevin3840 wrote: ... Is YouTube still an outcast (no pun intended) app on the Fire Stick?
Last check, still not officially supported.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
3176 posts
691 upvotes
Kevin3840 wrote: Can a Fire Stick still run Firefox or other browsers to play web site videos without an app? (I'm interested in Chinese and Korean drama sites.)

Is YouTube still an outcast (no pun intended) app on the Fire Stick?
Any particular site you have in mind? I have a fire stick and am able to stream videos via Firefox app.
Feb 12, 2017
57 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
Noob1ee wrote: Any particular site you have in mind? I have a fire stick and am able to stream videos via Firefox app.
Could you please try http://icdrama.se in Firefox on your Fire Stick? At the main page, click on a thumbnail, then an episode, wait for the commercial to end, then Click & Play.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
^If one can install RSS player on the Fire Stick TV, that would probably be the best way to watch Icdrama.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
3176 posts
691 upvotes
Kevin3840 wrote: Could you please try http://icdrama.se in Firefox on your Fire Stick? At the main page, click on a thumbnail, then an episode, wait for the commercial to end, then Click & Play.
Tried icdrama.se and had no issues playing an episode with Forefox on the Fire Stick.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)