Cell Phones

Best Android Launcher for Seniors

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 8:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15477 posts
3770 upvotes
Toronto

Best Android Launcher for Seniors

My Dad who is a Senior is going from a flip phone to a Pixel 3a phone. I want to replace the stock launcher with something that makes it easier for him to use the phone. What I am looking to do is create some large buttons that he can press on the screen for:

- Phone
- Contacts
- Google Maps
- Camera
- Flashlight
- Email (Microsoft Outlook)
- Chrome Browser

According to some web searches, I see the following suggestions:

https://androidflagship.com/18231-the-b ... or-seniors

https://www.geckoandfly.com/32547/senio ... martphone/

https://www.geckoandfly.com/32547/senio ... martphone/

The only launcher I have used in the past was Nova and that was pretty good. I am not sure if it can do what I am hoping to do. I am sure that there are RFDers here with elderly parents who use smart phones. What launchers, apps do you use?

any suggestions (aside from get an iPhone) would be greatly appreciated :)
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3554 posts
1865 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hightech wrote: My Dad who is a Senior is going from a flip phone to a Pixel 3a phone. I want to replace the stock launcher with something that makes it easier for him to use the phone. What I am looking to do is create some large buttons that he can press on the screen for:

- Phone
- Contacts
- Google Maps
- Camera
- Flashlight
- Email (Microsoft Outlook)
- Chrome Browser

According to some web searches, I see the following suggestions:

https://androidflagship.com/18231-the-b ... or-seniors

https://www.geckoandfly.com/32547/senio ... martphone/

https://www.geckoandfly.com/32547/senio ... martphone/

The only launcher I have used in the past was Nova and that was pretty good. I am not sure if it can do what I am hoping to do. I am sure that there are RFDers here with elderly parents who use smart phones. What launchers, apps do you use?

any suggestions (aside from get an iPhone) would be greatly appreciated :)
You can actually install "iOS13 Launcher" from play store, and turn the android phone into an iPhone. My friend actually did his, and it makes the phone experience a lot easier.

Just make sure when you do the security, do not use any authentication from Google side, just use the 4 digit pin from the launcher app. I actually have it installed on my OP7Pro as well, and it's super fast! Looks neat too!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15477 posts
3770 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: You can actually install "iOS13 Launcher" from play store, and turn the android phone into an iPhone. My friend actually did his, and it makes the phone experience a lot easier.

Just make sure when you do the security, do not use any authentication from Google side, just use the 4 digit pin from the launcher app. I actually have it installed on my OP7Pro as well, and it's super fast! Looks neat too!
Thank you. It looks like this has ads. Can I remove that?
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Sr. Member
Feb 15, 2007
981 posts
281 upvotes
Pickering
Another one to consider, Launcher 10,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... er10&hl=en

Can set each icon anywhere from a 1x1 square up to 6x6 (most of the screen). It also lists all apps alphabetical instead of the usual hodgepodge. It also has ads but you only see them when in the launcher settings (and cheap enough to get rid of if so desired ($1.69).
Last edited by stormy13 on Aug 12th, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
657 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't android has a seperate mode built in for seniors/children? If memory serves, it was either "kid mode" or "simple mode" in the settings.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1883 posts
1027 upvotes
Perhaps a Windows phone like setup?
Where you've got 2x8 big tiles for the app(s) that are important to him.
The rest can be hidden in the app drawer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15477 posts
3770 upvotes
Toronto
LockAndKey wrote: Don't android has a seperate mode built in for seniors/children? If memory serves, it was either "kid mode" or "simple mode" in the settings.
I know Samsung phones have that but I didn't see anything like this on my Pixel 3a
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3554 posts
1865 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hightech wrote: Thank you. It looks like this has ads. Can I remove that?
The AD's part is only during the initial set up of the launcher, but after when you use the phone itself there are no ad's.

It's a lot simpler to use for older folks, and it looks simple like an iPhone.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2359 posts
1930 upvotes
Ottawa
Nova launcher should work fine. What I did for my tech illiterate dad was put all the apps on one page of the home screen and no other home screen. This way, there's no need to flip between pages and have him "lost" because he flipped the home screen and his other frequently used apps are "gone". The only other feature i wish it has is the ability to lock the app icons from being able to move via long press. He's done that accidentally before and moved an icon over to a new home screen and freaked out because he "lost" all his apps.
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
657 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chrno wrote: Nova launcher should work fine. What I did for my tech illiterate dad was put all the apps on one page of the home screen and no other home screen. This way, there's no need to flip between pages and have him "lost" because he flipped the home screen and his other frequently used apps are "gone". The only other feature i wish it has is the ability to lock the app icons from being able to move via long press. He's done that accidentally before and moved an icon over to a new home screen and freaked out because he "lost" all his apps.
Hyperion launcher has that feature as "desktop lock".
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2009
555 posts
240 upvotes
West coast
Simple tv launcher.

I use this on my Android box but should also work for the phone

Top