• Nov 17th, 2010 4:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
10790 posts
5735 upvotes
Toronto

Best Apple pie?

I've always been fond about apple pie and would like to know where I can find the best apple pie in town or near GTA? :)
48 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5985 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto
I dont think there are any Mennonites in the GTA, sorry.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5985 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto
that looks promising.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
Pochacco wrote: I've always been fond about apple pie and would like to know where I can find the best apple pie in town or near GTA? :)

We stumbled onto a great little find yesterday afternoon in Cookstown near Barrie. Imperial Meats located in the local Outlet mall, is a sandwich and deli meats place that also has great danishes, strudel and pies. You would be hard pressed to find bigger and tastier sandwiches and the bakery was even better IMO. Less than 1/2 hour north of the 401/400 depending on traffic.

http://www.cookstownoutletmall.ca/microsite.php?sid=73
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9020 posts
2923 upvotes
Mississauga
Thats kind of far just to go for apple pie...
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4081 posts
3952 upvotes
on the links!
Homemade all the way!

I'm enjoying a piece of Apple pie right now (made with Northern Spies), and a slab of old cheddar cheese.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
553 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Sauerkraut wrote: Homemade all the way!

I'm enjoying a piece of Apple pie right now (made with Northern Spies), and a slab of old cheddar cheese.

Classic! Just like my Mom would serve.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
Raggie wrote: Thats kind of far just to go for apple pie...

Yeah, it is abit of a drive up north, however it's not too far from Wonderland, that's the way I am going to look at it. Really the pie is good, I bought the apple, and it's roughly 2 lbs. Next time we are up there I am going for the Blueberry pie. I had one of their blueberry danishes at it was out of this world.

The pie btw is $8.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
53 upvotes

I do not understand what is so good about cheddar cheese and apple pie.
They are better separately-to me anyways.

My mother makes a very good apple pie. She also makes other very good pies!
I like apple crisp a bit better- she made me one when she was here a few days ago!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
Apple pie is my favorite pie

Homemade is best, in my experience. Even "The Apple Factory", whom you'd think would have an awesome apple pie, is easily outdone by my moms apple pie
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9020 posts
2923 upvotes
Mississauga
I read The Apple Factory pies aren't made on the premises, but comes from the States.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18294 posts
1262 upvotes
Elmira
Raggie wrote: I read The Apple Factory pies aren't made on the premises, but comes from the States.

Is that true? I'd like to hear more about that
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2740 posts
788 upvotes
Whitby
1. My Mom's
2. Betty's Pies in Port Hope. Had Pecan, Cherry, Apple pies and butter tarts from there this weekend
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7563 posts
2690 upvotes

6 or 7 Spys, 2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the apples (half golden, half white), squeeze of lemon juice, 3 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon.

Add a good crust. Either a crumb topping or double crust.

Perfect apple pie. With old cheddar, of course.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9020 posts
2923 upvotes
Mississauga
duckdown wrote: Is that true? I'd like to hear more about that
I read it on Chowhound that its made in the States, but baked on their premises.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9020 posts
2923 upvotes
Mississauga
wolverine07 wrote: Yeah, it is abit of a drive up north, however it's not too far from Wonderland, that's the way I am going to look at it. Really the pie is good, I bought the apple, and it's roughly 2 lbs. Next time we are up there I am going for the Blueberry pie. I had one of their blueberry danishes at it was out of this world.

The pie btw is $8.

That sounds like a great price. Then you might as well go out to St. Jacobs market to get fresh pies from the mennonites. They have great apple dumplings.