• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 9:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes

Best AWD Car for around 50k to lease?

I'm heading to the Subaru Stealership to lease a 2020 WRX STI Sport-Tech for 50k but I want to know if I'm making the right decision or not.
I'd love a sporty manual vehicle that I can go get some frustration out.
Since I live in the Maritimes I wanted something AWD that I can drive year round.

The STI is a gas guzzling beast with many known issues but I heard its fun to drive.

Before I make such a big purchase, can you guys knock some sense into me?

Thanks!
45 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35087 posts
21058 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do it...
I'm waiting for the 2022 redesign.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Do it...
I'm waiting for the 2022 redesign.
I don't know if I should as well...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3001 posts
1772 upvotes
Pothole city
The only other car I could think off in the same category would a 6MT Golf R.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4546 posts
2634 upvotes
YOLO

Gas prices are cheap.

Do it.

STI is unique, it's beastly while the Golf R is refined and polished.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2833 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I'd wait for the STI revision, its way too dated. I'd get the WRX instead personally..

Could test drive a Golf R if you can find one, the AWD won't be as good as Subaru's but its a much better overall daily driver. Not many options for sporty manual fun awd vehicles.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11032 posts
2825 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Go look at the VW Golf R, You may like it better.
Gord18Stirr wrote: I'm heading to the Subaru Stealership to lease a 2020 WRX STI Sport-Tech for 50k but I want to know if I'm making the right decision or not.
I'd love a sporty manual vehicle that I can go get some frustration out.
Since I live in the Maritimes I wanted something AWD that I can drive year round.

The STI is a gas guzzling beast with many known issues but I heard its fun to drive.

Before I make such a big purchase, can you guys knock some sense into me?

Thanks!
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
Test drove it and I felt like I was going back in time, the interior is dated, features are dated the rumble wasnt what I was expecting and I felt scared to drive it.

I think a better bet for me is to buy a used one, get it fixed up and beat the crap out of it instead of babying a $50,000 leased car.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35087 posts
21058 upvotes
Center of Universe
Gord18Stirr wrote: Test drove it and I felt like I was going back in time, the interior is dated, features are dated the rumble wasnt what I was expecting and I felt scared to drive it.

I think a better bet for me is to buy a used one, get it fixed up and beat the crap out of it instead of babying a $50,000 leased car.
If you're leasing, you can beat the shit out of it, provided you're not adding mods or causing any physical damages.
Bumper to bumper warranty will cover you the full 3yr lease term.
Oct 23, 2013
157 posts
193 upvotes
Calgary
In case you missed it. Throttle House is comparing the WRX and the Golf R

Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4803 posts
3297 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Gord18Stirr wrote: Test drove it and I felt like I was going back in time, the interior is dated, features are dated the rumble wasnt what I was expecting and I felt scared to drive it.

Definitely buy used. Then put wide body kit, Voltex wing, Cobb tuned and TE37s. Will fit in with the crowd LOL
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Dec 25, 2006
541 posts
394 upvotes
Winnipeg

I cross shopped STi and Golf R last year August. The Golf R won easily.
Overall refinement and features in the Golf annihilate the STi. DSG, adaptive cruise, auto hi beam headlamps, lane keep assist, better stereo etc etc etc... AND the R is cheaper when comparing the high end trims.
The R is a smaller car overall but is a hatch so the less space is more useable I think.
The STi awd system is better. I drove 3 different subarus in 10 years before buying the R last year. The R isn't full time awd but the average person can't feel the engagement.
The fuel mileage of the R is awesome. I just did a 1600km round trip earlier this week with an average of 7.1l/100km @ between 100 and 110 kph with studded winter tires. None of my Subarus could come close to that.

Hopefully this helps.
Last edited by warpdwhim on Nov 21st, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2083 posts
496 upvotes
Central Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote: Toyota Sienna awd hybrid. The ultimate RFD vehicle.

Does it come in beige?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1408 posts
1228 upvotes
Golf R is nice but it's no longer out for sale new unless you wait for the new gen which won't be coming for another 2 years or so. You can get it used but if you're going that path, then there are plenty of other fun cars to be had used.
New ones, I'd check out Kia Stinger, BMW 2 series and Civic Type R (if you are willing to sacrifice AWD).
Apr 15, 2014
940 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just wanna say the wax acts as a great utility vehicle. Big trunk, back doors. Put a roof rack and cargo box, who needs a minivan.
Please respond
Jul 29, 2019
278 posts
195 upvotes
There will be a new generation Golf R next year. Better to wait for that. You definitely cannot beat a Subaru with AWD especially with Winter tires. If you really want to, lease the WRX or STI for 2 -3 years and then switch to the new-gen WRX STI. Alternatively, lease an Impreza for 2-3 years so you are not spending that much and then lease the next-gen WRX STI when it is out.