Automotive

the best AWD system?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2010 11:34 pm

Poll: Who has the best AWD system?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
May 27, 2007
15718 posts
3190 upvotes
Toronto

the best AWD system?

im in the market for an AWD car.

who has the best AWD system, and why? :confused:
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
95 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
Mitsubishi Evolution's S-AWC and Honda's SH-AWD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
1996 posts
4502 upvotes
There is no best. They're all different and you should just pick on that suits your driving need and style. There are often several different AWD systems within a manufacturer's range of cars even if they're named the same.

For example, Audi A3 and A5 both come with Quattro, but they might be different AWD systems.

Another example, Acura's SH-AWD can be found in both TL and RL, but they're tuned differently. From my test drive, it seems RL sends slightly more power to the rear.

Some are permanent and more preventive, and some are part-time therefore reactive and better on fuel.

Some are front-wheel biased such as Acura's, which is great for winter driving. Some are rear-wheel biased such as Infiniti's, which is great for sporty driving.

Some are capable of transfering power left to right and some aren't.

The question is, which one is the best, FOR YOU!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11249 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
I will say Audi Quattro or Subaru, remember I see a video on youtube and they test all the SUV and only Subaru's AWD can pass the test, among Volvo, Honda, Toyota...etc....

What's is your purpose on the AWD? For winter? For drift? For tracking?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
82 upvotes
There is a nice little learning application that is about 4WD systems, but it is Toyota specific here. A lot of stuff can be learned.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18381 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
I only driven two AWD systems...

Acura RDX & Subaru Legacy 3.6R.

Obviously, it's not a fair comparison but I love Subaru's AWD and if they offered 0% financing and trade-in my sister would be driving one today instead of TSX Base.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14297 posts
3471 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I voted BMW but I take back my vote.

Imo, generally speaking, each AWD system has it's ups and downs so there are no best. Volvo's AWD usually operates as FWD unless there's slip detected or power is needed at the rear wheels. BMW's AWD are usually RWD unless there's slip or power is needed at the front for.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14294 posts
5496 upvotes
Ottawa
devil2k wrote: There are often several different AWD systems within a manufacturer's range of cars even if they're named the same.
Very good point. A manufacturer may name their system something, but their system is completely different from car to car. Audi does this for Quattro, where it uses either Haldex on some cars but Torsen on others. Subaru's says their system is Symmetric AWD, but how it works and how it reacts varies from their automatics, SUV, and manual performance models. Honda uses their SH-AWD but on some of their SUVs like the CRV, they use a different system. Nissan's performance system, the ATTESA ET-S on the GTR works quite differently than the previous model in implementation.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it personally. Usually the manufacturer tunes their AWD system to suit the intended purpose of the car. And the bottom line is you'll enjoy better traction when you press the gas.

Personally, I like a system that is simpler, less chance something will go wrong with it.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
May 27, 2007
15718 posts
3190 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: I will say Audi Quattro or Subaru, remember I see a video on youtube and they test all the SUV and only Subaru's AWD can pass the test, among Volvo, Honda, Toyota...etc....

What's is your purpose on the AWD? For winter? For drift? For tracking?

basically im looking for something thats for winter driving, but also fun to drive. (no tracking or anything like that)

i guess the xDrive has a rear bias? probably going to test drive a few cars soon.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Feb 8, 2007
711 posts
119 upvotes
I like the ATTESSA-ETS system on the G37x. Starts off 75/25 rear/front to 20 km/h, then it will send 100% power to rear wheels until a slip a detected then power goes to front wheels. So even if there's rain the car has no problems going forward fast, and it gives the handling of a rwd car.

It also has a snow mode function where throttle becomes less sensitive and its 50/50 upto 30 km/h then 100% power to the rear wheels until a slip is detected.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3087 posts
740 upvotes
Vaughan
mreza wrote: Audi Quattro and Acura SH-AWD.
Among other things, they have independent power distribution among all four wheels. That makes a huge difference in sharp corners.
Others (like BMW, Lexus) only change front and back wheels.

I agree with this. Audi Quattro and Acura SH-AWD ftw.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6825 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I voted for Audi quattro. (True Audi fans always say quattro with a lower Q, right?)

One small note: the 'true' quattro, i.e. the Torsen system, is found in the A4/A5/A6/A8/Q5/etc. The A3/TT, being based on VW platforms, use a Haldex system. I have no clue what the Q7 uses.

Haldex makes a couple different systems, I think, which are used widely in transverse-engine platforms, e.g. the big Fords (Taurus/Flex/etc for sure, I'd guess Fusion/MKZ/etc too), VW 4Motion, etc. Then there's a Saab (now dead) which had a newer generation of Haldex...