• Sep 15th, 2020 5:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ

Best bang for buck Winter tires 2020

So considering the other thread i saw was over 10 years old i figured i'd ask what everyone's thoughts are on 2020 options for winter tires.
I have a lease (which i plan on returning) so I don't necessarily want to get something top end like Nokian Hakkas or X-Ice Snows
I also don't want to get super cheap tires which might not even be better than my all seasons.

Any suggestions?
Licensed Full Service Realtor
30 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13412 posts
8371 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
viking
blizzaks
xi3

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
So, what vehicle you ended up leasing ? Btw.

General Altimax Arctic
Jul 29, 2019
245 posts
185 upvotes
If you're a Costco member, generally that is the best place to get Winter Tires but I know Canadian Tire have Winter Tires on sale so you might want to look at that before they are gone.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5088 posts
2303 upvotes
Vancouver
I had nexen winguard sport 2 on my golf r the last few years and they were fine
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14956 posts
15876 upvotes
Oakville
booblehead wrote: So, what vehicle you ended up leasing ? Btw.

General Altimax Arctic
+1, there great and low cost, especially from Tire Rack.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14191 posts
5389 upvotes
Ottawa
I liked my Altimax Arctic as well...

It was a bit noisy compared to the newer tires, but overall had good snow grip and handled everything I threw at them.

The Artic has been replaced with the Arctic 12 which is the latest model, and the reviews seem to suggest it it carries on the strong performance.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27429 posts
7750 upvotes
If you live in the city (and it says you're in Toronto) consider a "performance" winter as IME they are typically much better in city environments in the winter.

My winters (Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2) were great but done after last year and unfortunately the fantastic latest-model UltraGrip Performance+ isn't sold in Can/US and instead now we get the "UltraGrip 8 Performance" which is actually older than the UGP2, the deceiving name notwithstanding!

Blizzak LM seem to not be available in my size which leaves the Continental TS8xx P (of which again the newest iteration isn't sold here it seems) and the uber expensive Pilot Alpin PA4. Was going to go with the TS830 P but then happened along a significantly cheaper option--Kumho Wintercraft WP72. Reviews are few and far between but almost all are positive, not really any pro test reports unfortunately. Have no idea how they are gonna be as winter hasn't hit yet and don't have 'em on the car but it's an option to throw out there. There's also the WP71 but those are directional v. the asymmetric design of the WP72 and again IME asymmetric tyres have tended to be better. Pro test of the WP71 put it as middle of the road so here's hoping the WP72 is just a little better. I'm sure the TS830 P is easily better but it's a lot of price difference as well. Kumho also has an $80 winter rebate on now too (set of four) which kind of sucks that I didn't get that but then I got 10% off at Quattro which they don't have anymore--was nearly $70 in my case and no rebate to mail in for, so no real remorse there. At the price I think they would have to totally suck for me to regret the purchase, which I don't think they will.
Apr 26, 2010
769 posts
100 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Best place for steelies?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1254 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
Falken Eurowinters. Usually Falken tires have a pretty good cost to performance ratio.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
booblehead wrote: So, what vehicle you ended up leasing ? Btw.

General Altimax Arctic
got a q50s for 450 tax in including maintenance / oil changes / lease end protection/ 24k, 0 down, 50% rv, 4 year lease.

was looking at bmw 3 series and audi a4s and couldn't get close to that number.

Its not the greatest car in terms of tech / fuel efficiency but i'm comfortable with paying that amount a month.
My next lease will be even better, as this was my first negotiation for a new car. thanks for all your help along the way :)

any suggestions for a good tire shop to purchase tires / rims at?

edit
was quoted at simplytire for

General Altimax Arctic 12 101T XL $930.00 including steel rims. balance/mount/install
225-55-17 tire size.

is this a good deal?
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Jul 20, 2016
582 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
great bargain the q50... really not many folks getting them at this piont but still a much more dynamic and engaging option than what that payment would typically get you !

simplytire is fine still ... ask them what the cash payment discount is, yes that's a thing with all indy shops. can also recommend kobo tires up in markham

re: steelies ... . if you truly don't care then it's fine, but they are really fugly tbh. When I had the F30 328xi, I had Blizzak LM-32 (225/50/17 square) on steelies for winter.. it was not a pretty look lol , unfortunately i cant find any pics, maybe thats how fugly it was LOL .... now i think of it not sure if the px saving is worth the looks trade off. I now run a set of replica alloys on my B9 S4

steelies was 83 a piece and the replica 175 per for your guide.. tho those are 18s so not exactly apple to apple