Wheels and Tires

Best bang for buck Winter tires 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 5:28 pm
Sep 5, 2005
761 posts
1391 upvotes
Victoria
Possibly check the Wheels & Tires subforum ;)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27586 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
Like @Goose12345 said, there is a group buy and/or early bird buy + cash purchase discount applicable as well. You need to be in it before buying.

rfd-simplytire-2020-21-winter-wheel-tir ... e-2402584/

Another forum member mentioned there is a group buy discount coming from Advan Tire shop (Scarborough). Check with this shop and compare.

Look for manufacturer mail in rebate once you have made the final buy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27422 posts
7742 upvotes
tofinoguy wrote: Possibly check the Wheels & Tires subforum ;)
Also, this thread should be moved there technically speaking.
Mar 7, 2012
34 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Another vote for General Altimax Arctic. Its cheap and a really good tire. Its also rated pretty high by consumer reports.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5953 posts
2441 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Check for sales on any of the brand name studdable tires [Firestone, General, Cooper, Kelly, etc.].

Don't need to stud them and still better in winter then all seasons.

Another option is All Weather tires. There is a thread in this same forum.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2103 posts
636 upvotes
OP check Pirelli Ice Zero as well. Those are highly reviewed and may not be much pricier than a set of General. In my size (16") they are only 40 bucks more after taxes. I can almost guarantee you will get the difference back when you resell them 4 years down the road...plus it's probably a lot easier to resell a set of Pirellis than a set of GENERAL.

Congrats on the car. I sat in one last year and those sport seats are to die for. Great deal!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
Goose12345 wrote: great bargain the q50... really not many folks getting them at this piont but still a much more dynamic and engaging option than what that payment would typically get you !

simplytire is fine still ... ask them what the cash payment discount is, yes that's a thing with all indy shops. can also recommend kobo tires up in markham

re: steelies ... . if you truly don't care then it's fine, but they are really fugly tbh. When I had the F30 328xi, I had Blizzak LM-32 (225/50/17 square) on steelies for winter.. it was not a pretty look lol , unfortunately i cant find any pics, maybe thats how fugly it was LOL .... now i think of it not sure if the px saving is worth the looks trade off. I now run a set of replica alloys on my B9 S4

steelies was 83 a piece and the replica 175 per for your guide.. tho those are 18s so not exactly apple to apple
Thanks, did some homework and advice from @booblehead and you along the way. It worked out pretty well i think. The SA said I was the hardest negotiation hes ever dealt with Face With Tears Of Joy maybe it was because i was willing to walk away (especially from infiniti)

ive been looking for alloys on kijiji but honestly i dont' see a point in paying 500$ for used alloys when im giving the car back probably in 3 years.
I just want the most budget set of rims steel or not, and not have to worry about recouping my costs long term.

Just debating on whats really the most bang for my buck.

only problem ive been encountering on most sites is that i've been told different things.

some say 17" rims wont fit on my car, others say that it will. I've been told 4-5 different tire sizes that will fit my car (ive tried things like tire rack and other resources). My dealership said that they didn't even know if 17" will fir my car (how useless is that)
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Jul 20, 2016
580 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
bLuPhYrE wrote: Thanks, did some homework and advice from @booblehead and you along the way. It worked out pretty well i think. The SA said I was the hardest negotiation hes ever dealt with Face With Tears Of Joy maybe it was because i was willing to walk away (especially from infiniti)

ive been looking for alloys on kijiji but honestly i dont' see a point in paying 500$ for used alloys when im giving the car back probably in 3 years.
I just want the most budget set of rims steel or not, and not have to worry about recouping my costs long term.

Just debating on whats really the most bang for my buck.

only problem ive been encountering on most sites is that i've been told different things.

some say 17" rims wont fit on my car, others say that it will. I've been told 4-5 different tire sizes that will fit my car (ive tried things like tire rack and other resources). My dealership said that they didn't even know if 17" will fir my car (how useless is that)
of course you were the hardest negotiator since you were the only customer looking at a q50 ;)

yea used could be of value esp for rims... depends on how much you wear on the tire you could still sell them at lease end to recoup some of the cost as well. If you just wanna get through winter at min cost, I'd say black steelies are fine. Don't ever go silver ones like I did, fugly supreme!

I looked up infinti.ca spec sheets.. the base "pure" trim comes with 17'' rims standard so that tells me it would clear the base brakes at least. Not sure how much bigger the "sport brake" on the Q50S is, but based on the forums it looks like others are running 18'' setup

https://www.infinitiq50.org/forums/whee ... ension.12/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
Goose12345 wrote: of course you were the hardest negotiator since you were the only customer looking at a q50 ;)

yea used could be of value esp for rims... depends on how much you wear on the tire you could still sell them at lease end to recoup some of the cost as well. If you just wanna get through winter at min cost, I'd say black steelies are fine. Don't ever go silver ones like I did, fugly supreme!

I looked up infinti.ca spec sheets.. the base "pure" trim comes with 17'' rims standard so that tells me it would clear the base brakes at least. Not sure how much bigger the "sport brake" on the Q50S is, but based on the forums it looks like others are running 18'' setup

https://www.infinitiq50.org/forums/whee ... ension.12/
my q50s does not have sport brakes which is why im thinking 17" will fit.

is it just me or is it terrible that when i called the dealership to ask if 225/55/17 steels will fit on my car they said they didnt know.. wtf??
Jul 20, 2016
580 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
bLuPhYrE wrote: my q50s does not have sport brakes which is why im thinking 17" will fit.

is it just me or is it terrible that when i called the dealership to ask if 225/55/17 steels will fit on my car they said they didnt know.. wtf??
given the base car comes on 255/55/17 per spec sheet.. no reason why it wouldnt fit if you know it doens't have the bigger brakes

ask the tire shop guys they'd know .. but imagine there should be some Q50 owners lurking somewhere on RFD lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
Goose12345 wrote: given the base car comes on 255/55/17 per spec sheet.. no reason why it wouldnt fit if you know it doens't have the bigger brakes

ask the tire shop guys they'd know .. but imagine there should be some Q50 owners lurking somewhere on RFD lol
i've called 3 different tire shops. 2 said 17" would fit, one said theres no way it would clear the brakes. tire rack says 18" is the smallest size for my car.

so ridiculous how many different answers im getting. Also im assuming any 5x114.3 bolt pattern will fit my car? (17/18//19 " rims)
Jul 20, 2016
580 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
bLuPhYrE wrote: i've called 3 different tire shops. 2 said 17" would fit, one said theres no way it would clear the brakes. tire rack says 18" is the smallest size for my car.

so ridiculous how many different answers im getting. Also im assuming any 5x114.3 bolt pattern will fit my car? (17/18//19 " rims)
before giving you wrong suggestion as ive never had the car... id say safest is to ask ppl on that forum i linked.. seems to be quite active.

dealers would be clueless not surprised as the parts department just sell whatever overpriced oem gear nissan canada gives them
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27586 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
bLuPhYrE wrote: i've called 3 different tire shops. 2 said 17" would fit, one said theres no way it would clear the brakes. tire rack says 18" is the smallest size for my car.

https://www.c-wheels.ca/en/fitmentsearc ... &year=2020

If Costco has it and you are a member, then there is no risk involved at all. Problem solved.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27422 posts
7742 upvotes
georvu wrote: Check for sales on any of the brand name studdable tires [Firestone, General, Cooper, Kelly, etc.].

Don't need to stud them and still better in winter then all seasons.
Yes but studdable tyres don't perform as well when they are not studded, meaning if you can't stud them (and you can't in Southern Ontario), then you should go for something studless instead.

Studdable tyres are designed with studs in mind as part of their performance; when you don't stud them you lose that performance. Studless tyres are designed from the start w/o studs in mind so you get their full performance out of the box.

Personally I don't recommend studdable tyres when you can't stud; and also don't recommend regular winters when used primarily in cities either. Performance winters tend to perform better in mixed conditions, better on dry and wet roads, and better in slushy situations--pretty much the main things you encounter in winter in the city. The main thing they give up is deep snow performance, and we don't get much deep snow left standing on roads for long in the GTA.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5953 posts
2441 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ES_Revenge wrote: Yes but studdable tyres don't perform as well when they are not studded, meaning if you can't stud them (and you can't in Southern Ontario), then you should go for something studless instead.

Studdable tyres are designed with studs in mind as part of their performance; when you don't stud them you lose that performance. Studless tyres are designed from the start w/o studs in mind so you get their full performance out of the box.

Personally I don't recommend studdable tyres when you can't stud; and also don't recommend regular winters when used primarily in cities either. Performance winters tend to perform better in mixed conditions, better on dry and wet roads, and better in slushy situations--pretty much the main things you encounter in winter in the city. The main thing they give up is deep snow performance, and we don't get much deep snow left standing on roads for long in the GTA.
One of the better reviewed and often recommended winter tire [in Ontario and Quebec] is General Atimax Arctic... a studdable tire but well reviewed for its balanced performance in a myriad of winter conditions.

We have used General and Firestone studdable winters [non studded] and never felt any worse driving in snowy, dry, wet, slushy, icy conditions compared to the performance winters we used from Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli.

Anyways think it would be good to hear from other folks and their experience... at end of day winters are tires to use Oct/Nov to Mar/Apr in most parts of this country.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.