Personal Finance

Best bank account(s) and credit card(s) for new grad?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2010 1:25 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2007
227 posts
14 upvotes

Best bank account(s) and credit card(s) for new grad?

Hello RFD,

I am seeking a little advice. Here is my situation:

I am a new grad and will be starting work very shortly. I plan on living with my parents for the first few years so my expenses will be very minimal, just basically spending money on entertainment and various things like clothes.

I live in the GTA and the job is also located in the GTA, but I will be travelling to and from the US quite frequently and will be there about 1/3 of the time.

So I just wanted to ask fellow members for your opinion on which bank and which account(s) and credit card(s) I should opened up. I would also like to hear what other new grads have done and why.

Recently I have opened up a TD Select Service Account (includes a Borderless feature in the account), which lets me get a TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card with no annual fee.

I thank everyone for their opinion and I am just looking for what the best option for me is.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7781 posts
973 upvotes
You have the best bank account. Hopefully you're keeping $5000 in there. You also get a free safety deposit box, make sure you ask for that.

Infinite is a good credit card choice. Also get the Smart Cash for gas/groceries (sign up through GCR = $40 bonus). Other than that you're pretty much good to go. Get the free USD Visa that the Borderless account gives you (for your US purchases).

Alternatively, if you have a car, you may want to look into getting the TD Gold Elite Visa instead of the Infinite. That way you get access to the Deluxe Auto Club. You don't have to actually use the Visa. You can get the Capital One Aspire World Mastercard to collect travel points at 2% return.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2007
227 posts
14 upvotes
Any advice/opinions on which savings account with which bank I should open up?