Best batteries, original Canon/Nikon or replacement

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 7:58 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
575 posts
243 upvotes

Best batteries, original Canon/Nikon or replacement

I photograph the most with a Canon T2i, I love the camera and have used one battery in a double battery grip for a long time. I want to get a second battery, preferably an original Canon one.
These are quite pricey.

Have you used replacement batteries before and if so, which ones would you recommend?
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3278 posts
1109 upvotes
For the T2i you might not have that much choice, that's a 10+ year old camera.

third party batteries are fine except for video, you won't get a low battery warning and that's not great for video.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
575 posts
243 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
third party batteries are fine except for video
So, do you have any experience with replacements? And if so, which one would you recommend?
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
14086 posts
11155 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've only ever bought 3rd party batteries for my Canon DSLR. Any brand that is cheap on Amazon is fine IMO and if you have an issue Amazon is pretty good at taking care of you (not that I have had issues with these batteries, just for other products).
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13264 posts
6262 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The problem with 3rd party batteries is that it's literally a YMMV market with the vast majority of 3rd party companies sourcing what they can on the open market and then putting their brand on them - very few, if any, 3rd party companies actually make their own batteries. As such, the quality of 3rd party batteries will vary greatly - some are a complete rip off while others give the OEM battery a run for their money. Unfortunately, you can't tell most of the time by looking at them or even past history of a brand as that brand may have switched suppliers whether the battery is the best bargain out there or not worth the plastic it's made out of.
May 11, 2008
733 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
I've used the batteries from UpStart on my Olympus OMD EM-10 and GoPro and haven't had any issues.
Been using them for a few years now.
Ordered them off of Amazon and from a local store
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3278 posts
1109 upvotes
VESTEGAARD wrote: So, do you have any experience with replacements? And if so, which one would you recommend?
The best 3rd party brands may not have T2i batteries anymore, just buy what you can find from Amazon that comes with a warranty and customer support.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7701 posts
1549 upvotes
Looks like Amazon.ca still carries a Wasabi dual batteries + charger kit, that may be your best and only option, for a known 3rd party battery brand at this point.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Sep 14, 2012
137 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm a Nikon person.

I've never experienced any major issues with clone/generic batteries in my Nikon cameras so I will generally purchase them but if I had the money, I would go with the camera manufacturer's battery. The one thing that I find that clone/generic batteries don't have is the longevity or take as many pictures as the camera manufacturer's battery but is it worth the extra price? In terms of Nikon batteries, I don't believe so since for my Nikon camera, I can get a clone/generic battery for around $20. The actual Nikon battery would run me over/around $70 (over three times the price of the clone/generic). If using the clone/generic battery only gives me 1/3 (or less) of the shots of the actual Nikon battery, I would get the actual Nikon battery. However, generally the number of shots with the generic/clone is never that low compared to the manufacturer's battery... it might be 150 shots with the actual Nikon battery and 135 shots with the generic/clone (at least at the beginning when the generic/clone battery was purchased).

The one thing with Nikon is some of their cameras (I've had this issue with their DSLRs) is that the camera incorporates a feature which makes some generic/clone batteries not work in the camera even though the voltage and size of the battery is the same as an actual Nikon battery (because the Nikon camera detects a computer chip in the battery). I'm not sure if it is the same with Canon and their cameras.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3278 posts
1109 upvotes
hdom wrote: Looks like Amazon.ca still carries a Wasabi dual batteries + charger kit, that may be your best and only option, for a known 3rd party battery brand at this point.
That reminds me, need to contact Wasabi for warranty replacement :\

One stopped charging, but at least there's warranty!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2061 posts
294 upvotes
Canada
My experience with 3rd party batteries has been mediocre. They're less expensive, however the trade-off I've experienced is they do not hold charge like originals. In my case, I can get around 3 generics for the cost of 1 original. I rather have the latter.
Feb 10, 2005
776 posts
121 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I bot Wasabi twin battery pack that come with a charger from Amazon.ca a few years ago. The battery are for Canon 80D with Sigma 150-600 most of the time.

A fully charged Wasabi battery was only good for 170 ish shots. After that, you can see the Sigma focus motor slow to a crawl and camera will register a low battery warning shortly after.

A Canon replacement battery will last 900+ shots and easily do just over a thousand for same camera/lens set up.

I also use third party battery for my T3i, bot from Bestbuy and they are ok.
Dec 1, 2016
195 posts
47 upvotes
mississauga
I trust RAVpower, for my nikon Z6, it is recommended by Nasim Mansurov, double charger, compact and thin profile . Very nice. Buy from amazon.