Travel

Best bet to fly from Toronto to San Francisco in December 2019 for reasonable price ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
660 posts
145 upvotes

Best bet to fly from Toronto to San Francisco in December 2019 for reasonable price ?

Best bet to fly from Toronto to San Francisco in December 2019 for reasonable price ? 2 Adults, 2 kids and one infant on lap ! Is there any other airports closer to get cheaper price. I'm getting $2400-$2500 CAD as cheapest now from YYZ to SFO. Any other options for me ? Looking for 5-6 days travel before mid of Dec 2019. Kindly advice...
Regards !
20 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11861 posts
2291 upvotes
Toronto
Prob won't get much cheaper. Also, which part of December? Big difference when school is out.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
660 posts
145 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Prob won't get much cheaper. Also, which part of December? Big difference when school is out.
Any days in December will do !
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 26, 2004
12097 posts
2251 upvotes
Mississauga
Look into San Jose or even Oakland as alternate airports. It'll involve a layover as there are no non-stop flights from Toronto to these airports at the moment. I believe Air Canada will start the Toronto-San Jose non-stop route next spring.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11861 posts
2291 upvotes
Toronto
MK1986 wrote: Any days in December will do !
i've learned that San Fran is perpetually on the higher side. Even when I went about 10 years ago. I'm guessing that flights to there aren't as abundant (so more of a regional airport). What's your plan in San Fran?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2780 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Swoop flies Hamilton to LV. And try cheap tickets there to SF. Or Porter to Chicago and then from there. With a small child, they both seem bad choices. How about Buffalo?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
660 posts
145 upvotes
at1212b wrote: i've learned that San Fran is perpetually on the higher side. Even when I went about 10 years ago. I'm guessing that flights to there aren't as abundant (so more of a regional airport). What's your plan in San Fran?
Family visit !
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
660 posts
145 upvotes
Thanks all , yes we are travelling with three small kids, so cannot do multiple stop over and very tight on schedule, only have 4-5 days for the entire trip including travel !
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4372 posts
2797 upvotes
Much cheaper fares to Los Angeles. As low as $330 CAD return per passenger in Dec.

$515 CAD return to San Francisco. All on Delta one stop.

Non stop to SFO is $628.
Member
Feb 29, 2008
318 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
Fly out of Buffalo or Detroit to Oakland/San Jose/San Fran
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8739 posts
1651 upvotes
Vancouver
MK1986 wrote: Thanks all , yes we are travelling with three small kids, so cannot do multiple stop over and very tight on schedule, only have 4-5 days for the entire trip including travel !
I mean this with no disrespect but what are you hoping for?

Tight schedule. Very strongly prefer no connection. Short of someone giving you a gift card number or a 15-20% off coupon code that frequent. Fliers tend to have when ac messes up what do you expect?

I don’t mean to be rude but seriously. Go somewhere cheaper during the holidays or pay to play. Especially if schedule is important.

That said. If you haven’t already maybe look at the personal finance forums. Credit card churn the next vacation.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1372 upvotes
Sacramento (SMF) comes up at CAD$399 on Kayak per person in December round-trip from Toronto on United. Its a 90 mile (ie: 140km) drive, but if you're getting a rental car anyways... And the road to/from Sacramento is all nice freeway that usually flows reasonably well.

If you book it as a one-way and are travelling without checked baggage, you could even arrive at SFO as SFO is a 'hidden city' connection. And skip your onwards flight to Sacramento.

LA, lol, that's a 7-8 hour drive.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
14024 posts
8118 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: I mean this with no disrespect but what are you hoping for?

Tight schedule. Very strongly prefer no connection. Short of someone giving you a gift card number or a 15-20% off coupon code that frequent. Fliers tend to have when ac messes up what do you expect?

I don’t mean to be rude but seriously. Go somewhere cheaper during the holidays or pay to play. Especially if schedule is important.

That said. If you haven’t already maybe look at the personal finance forums. Credit card churn the next vacation.
+1
not to mention he's looking to travel within 2 months from now.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4329 upvotes
If you want a non-stop flight you can forget Buffalo as no airline goes nonstop from BUF to any of the Bay Area airports. JetBlue does fly nonstop to LAX but then you have a really long drive after that.
Detroit might be your better option if you must go non-stop but now you're adding a 4 hour drive to/from there from Toronto.

Maybe try out of Buffalo but make sure your layover (and limit that to just one) is at least 3 hours, so you won't be so rushed dragging kids and luggage from one gate to another (and you might have time to get lunch). Given the distances you have to hike through that place, I strongly recommend NOT changing in Atlanta if you can avoid it. It's fine if you're alone or all adults but with kids, avoid.

Consider flying Southwest Airlines out of Buffalo as they let you check 2 bags free (so, again, you can check in more stuff and not have as much to carry on planes and through airports). Just read up on how their boarding system works as they don't do seat assignments, it's "rush seating" with them but the order you board is important.
Member
Nov 26, 2012
324 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
Given the size and age of your travel party and restricted travel period, I suggest you just pay up. $2400 for 2 adults and 3 kids RT direct to SFO is not that bad tbh. Maybe see if there are any deals over the thanksgiving weekend. Last 2 years, AC and WJ have had promos.

Personally think that transferring in the US for domestic flights segments with no status AND for a party of 5 would be a nightmare if anything were to go wrong.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
660 posts
145 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: I mean this with no disrespect but what are you hoping for?

Tight schedule. Very strongly prefer no connection. Short of someone giving you a gift card number or a 15-20% off coupon code that frequent. Fliers tend to have when ac messes up what do you expect?

I don’t mean to be rude but seriously. Go somewhere cheaper during the holidays or pay to play. Especially if schedule is important.

That said. If you haven’t already maybe look at the personal finance forums. Credit card churn the next vacation.
I'm hoping to get some useful information, like flying from Buffalo, detroit etc.. directly to SFO make more sense or its better to fly out from Toronto itself for $2600 CAD as I don't have much experience flying to USA from Canada. I have 20% code from Air Canada and $300 gift card as well from Air Canada. If I wanted anything else, I would have clearly mentioned it in my post ! I'm trying to save as much as possible without loosing the comfort, hope you got it now. :) Thanks !
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
660 posts
145 upvotes
niche54 wrote: Given the size and age of your travel party and restricted travel period, I suggest you just pay up. $2400 for 2 adults and 3 kids RT direct to SFO is not that bad tbh. Maybe see if there are any deals over the thanksgiving weekend. Last 2 years, AC and WJ have had promos.

Personally think that transferring in the US for domestic flights segments with no status AND for a party of 5 would be a nightmare if anything were to go wrong.
Thanks for your advice, I think I have to agree with you on this :)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4372 posts
2797 upvotes
A little bit cheaper than yesterday (not by much), $599 per passenger return from YYZ non-stop Air Canada to SFO in early December.

-------------------------------------

There may have been other low fares from YYZ to SFO but doing a search at both NextDeparture and YYZdeals, the last time I could find a cheap non-stop fare was back in January 2018 for winter/spring in the $350 range. As always, if you want a cheap fare you can't be date dependent.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
$2500 for 5 PAX is a steal. No wonder airlines are going out of business and/or operating at razor thin margins.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1372 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: $2500 for 5 PAX is a steal. No wonder airlines are going out of business and/or operating at razor thin margins.
Its only 4 passengers. AC's RASM is 14.8 cents, and YYZ-SFO is 2259 miles, so some pretty simple math reveals the fare quoted is fairly close to 'average'. Given that its an Economy fare, it may even be slightly above average because RASM isn't adjusted to Economy class seats, but rather includes a mix of the 3 classes of service that AC offers. Its one of the longer domestic flights, nearly twice as long as average, and generally those are more efficient to operate as well, and hence have lower CASM.

Of course because there's people paying considerably more than average RASM (ie: last minute passengers, business class, etc.), there must be some passengers paying less. For instance flying to SMF (Sacramento) will actually get a YYZ-SFO segment bundled with a short onwards connector flight for considerably less than just buying a bare YYZ-SFO. A likely artifact of pricing algo's trying to take advantage of the vibrant SFO-based business travel environment, while dumping capacity into the less interesting SMF-YYZ "market".

Top