Best budget phone in 2017?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2017 12:59 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2015
75 posts
30 upvotes

Best budget phone in 2017?

My main reason for wanting to upgrade is because my current Moto G is having issues with my SD card. Apparently the Moto G lineup, up to the third generation, has always had problem with class 10 cards. It worked for a few months before it would unexpectedly remove itself and I would have to pop it back in. Now it does this all the time and I can't listen to my music and podcasts. The paltry 8GB of internal storage is not enough for my collection. Also the battery life, while not terrible, is starting to degrade.

Best deal I have found is the Moto G4 Play from Bestbuy; $150 and I can unlock it for $5. From my google searches it looks like they resolved the class 10 issue. This phone is suppose to have great battery life, a good enough camera, and it's smooth. I'm not a heavy app user and I don't play games so I don't need the best processor and gpu. I read this phone doesn't have a gyroscope so I do wonder how accurate Google Maps will be, as I use that once in a while. My main uses are Music #1, #2 is texting, and #3 is web browsing.

If you can find a better phone than the G4 Play for sub $200 link it.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1085 posts
41 upvotes
I'm looking for something for my parents too in that price range.

Do you know anything about the Samsung J1 and Samsung J3.

Also, am considering the Moto G4 Play like you said and maybe the Asus Zenfone 3 Max.

Anyone have opinions on these 4 phones? Just need reliability for them, phone, texting, whatsapp, skype and youtube.

Wonder if there is a simple interface mode in Android as they are seniors, I've never had an android phone.

Any input would be great!

Oh, where do you get the phone unlocked for $5?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2015
75 posts
30 upvotes
hello99 wrote: I'm looking for something for my parents too in that price range.

Do you know anything about the Samsung J1 and Samsung J3.

Also, am considering the Moto G4 Play like you said and maybe the Asus Zenfone 3 Max.

Anyone have opinions on these 4 phones? Just need reliability for them, phone, texting, whatsapp, skype and youtube.

Wonder if there is a simple interface mode in Android as they are seniors, I've never had an android phone.

Any input would be great!

I would never buy a low-end Samsung phone. They are always shit. Low ram, cheap flash that degrades in performance very quickly, bloatware and so fourth.

Most RFD users seem to be more interested in the high end phones so I don't expect many responses in this thread. In my searches online I have yet to find something better than the Moto G4 Play from Bestbuy which is locked to Telus. You can get an unlock code online for $5 or cheaper and then use it on any carrier you wish. Our prices for cellphones here in Canada are atrocious, so there aren't many quality choices in the sub $200 range. I don't know about the Zenfone 3, but the Zenfone 2 was plagued with quality issues. All I can tell you is the Moto G4 Play can do everything you asked for your parents. I know this because as I said in my OP, I have the original Moto G. The Moto G4 Play has better specs + that 2GB of ram which makes multitasking even better.
Jan 17, 2013
661 posts
259 upvotes
MEANTIME wrote: I would never buy a low-end Samsung phone. They are always shit. Low ram, cheap flash that degrades in performance very quickly, bloatware and so fourth.

Most RFD users seem to be more interested in the high end phones so I don't expect many responses in this thread. In my searches online I have yet to find something better than the Moto G4 Play from Bestbuy which is locked to Telus. You can get an unlock code online for $5 or cheaper and then use it on any carrier you wish. Our prices for cellphones here in Canada are atrocious, so there aren't many quality choices in the sub $200 range. I don't know about the Zenfone 3, but the Zenfone 2 was plagued with quality issues. All I can tell you is the Moto G4 Play can do everything you asked for your parents. I know this because as I said in my OP, I have the original Moto G. The Moto G4 Play has better specs + that 2GB of ram which makes multitasking even better.
A suggestion for you if you need more options. There is this low-cost phones from NUU Canada. Priced from $100 to $400. Never heard of NUU before, don't know if they are good or bad. Some models comes with 2-year warranty. The website is Canadian (.ca) and they take online orders.

https://nuucanada.ca/

Technical Support
343-887-8880
support@nuucanada.ca

Purchase Help
613-845-0444
sales@nuucanada.ca
Jan 17, 2013
661 posts
259 upvotes
MEANTIME wrote: I would never buy a low-end Samsung phone. They are always shit. Low ram, cheap flash that degrades in performance very quickly, bloatware and so fourth.

Yes, Samsung low-end phone are "bad" because they don't have a notification light. Even the cheap chinese phones has a notification light.

The Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 mid-range looks good but not enough to persuade a sale as it did not have a notification light (and OIS taken out)
[OP]
Nov 26, 2015
75 posts
30 upvotes
stack21 wrote: Yes, Samsung low-end phone are "bad" because they don't have a notification light. Even the cheap chinese phones has a notification light.

The Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 mid-range looks good but not enough to persuade a sale as it did not have a notification light (and OIS taken out)
Um, well I think the other things I listed are more of a big deal than an LED. The new Moto G4 Play actually does not have an LED which is stupid because my first gen does have one. I think all phones should have them because it costs like nothing.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14145 posts
4632 upvotes
Toronto
You can't do much better than the G4 Play without playing signup / cancel games with Koodo, or ordering from China (and a 2 month wait).

Personally I have ordered the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 which came to about $210 Canadian shipped from China. Wait time is 30-60 days for shipping.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14145 posts
4632 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
The Moto G4 Play is a good option. I get all my unlock codes from Ebay. Just search for "Moto G4 Play Unlock code"
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13946 posts
11572 upvotes
Leask
Kurtz7834 wrote: The Moto G4 Play is a good option. I get all my unlock codes from Ebay. Just search for "Moto G4 Play Unlock code"
And include the carrier name (Télus). $2 if it's in the main database, $5 if it's in the "not found" database, which has been the case for the four Moto G4 Play's I got unlock codes for.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
523 upvotes
What about the Moto E line? Will the E3 come to Canada?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13946 posts
11572 upvotes
Leask
notfromqc wrote: What about the Moto E line? Will the E3 come to Canada?
Probably not. The Moto E3 is practically more expensive than the Moto G4 Play. Carriers also don't like to give tiny phone subsidy options (they want you to subsidize more expensive phones).

Moto E 2015 was crazy cheap. I even picked one up for $50 when it went on sale. I think carriers learned from this that they probably lost more money than gained on the Moto E series that it wouldn't be worth keeping it going.
No solicitation in sigs
Jan 17, 2013
661 posts
259 upvotes
LeEco Le Pro3 with flagship specs at USD 299.99 (CAD 405). Better or comparable to the budget flagshp ZTE Axon 7.

Available at B&H Photo, free shipping to Canada, handles customs clearance

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... b_gsm.html
LeEco Le Pro3 USD $299.99 CAD $405.35
- GSM / 4G LTE Capable
- North American Variant
- Snapdragon 821 Quad-Core CPU 2.35 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB Storage
- Quick Charge 3.0
- 4070.0 mAh Battery
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1545 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
stack21 wrote: LeEco Le Pro3 with flagship specs at USD 299.99 (CAD 405). Better or comparable to the budget flagshp ZTE Axon 7.

Available at B&H Photo, free shipping to Canada, handles customs clearance

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... b_gsm.html
LeEco Le Pro3 USD $299.99 CAD $405.35
- GSM / 4G LTE Capable
- North American Variant
- Snapdragon 821 Quad-Core CPU 2.35 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB Storage
- Quick Charge 3.0
- 4070.0 mAh Battery
can someone tell me if this snapdragon processor is better than the one on the Moto G5? Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor with 2.0 GHz octa-core CPU and 650 MHz Adreno 506 GPU
Jul 26, 2017
1 posts
yes it definitely is better. Snapdragon 600s are mid range comparedto 800s which are top mark from Qualcomm