• May 25th, 2019 1:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1946 posts
1054 upvotes
Toronto

Best Business Credit card in USD with travel benefits

Been looking around, and I haven't found much in the way of USD business credit cards with any sort of travel or rewards benefits.

I'm a long time Aeroplan member, and am flying Air Canada weekly to the US. My corporation is being paid in USD, and 90% of my expenses are USD. Naturally, I have a USD bank account, but haven't found a USD credit card with any sort of benefits associated with it.

Advice? I don't care which bank - happy to move my business banking anywhere - just set it up with TD last week, and have a CAD Business Aeroplan card on the way which is free for the first year and comes with 45,000 Aeroplan points if I use it enough. But, the exchange is going to suck up a few percentage points.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5188 posts
310 upvotes
Markham
torontotim wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:47 am
Been looking around, and I haven't found much in the way of USD business credit cards with any sort of travel or rewards benefits.

I'm a long time Aeroplan member, and am flying Air Canada weekly to the US. My corporation is being paid in USD, and 90% of my expenses are USD. Naturally, I have a USD bank account, but haven't found a USD credit card with any sort of benefits associated with it.

Advice? I don't care which bank - happy to move my business banking anywhere - just set it up with TD last week, and have a CAD Business Aeroplan card on the way which is free for the first year and comes with 45,000 Aeroplan points if I use it enough. But, the exchange is going to suck up a few percentage points.
does it have to be a business card, and does it have to be issued by a cdn bank but be in usd?

theres lots of good us cards, with chase etc, but those may or may notbe an option for you
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5961 posts
6020 upvotes
Vancouver
How about American Express Business International Currency Card? US $100 annual fee. There's also the Gold ($300) version. And yes, Canadians can get these, no US residency or ITIN required. Both earn one Amex MR point per dollar spent.

Whoops, sorry, I just realized that Amex ICC business cards are only available to UK residents. It's only the pesonal green, gold, and platinum USD cards that Canadians can get.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14528 posts
4289 upvotes
Here 'n There
The best method is to use a US personal card, which is what I do, but you need a US address. I submit an expense report and then get reimbursed by my company. These have no annual fee:

Citibank Double-Cash - 2%
Amex - 1%
Discover - 1%
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3975 posts
1275 upvotes
markham
keep in mind that any benefits derived from your business card (flights) are taxable on your corporate side..as opposed to having a personal card and submitting receipts to the corporation for reimbursements....just sayin..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1946 posts
1054 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote:
May 25th, 2019 9:54 am
keep in mind that any benefits derived from your business card (flights) are taxable on your corporate side..as opposed to having a personal card and submitting receipts to the corporation for reimbursements....just sayin..
Understood - it may be the route I go. I expect this doesn't change anything for the business claiming the expense against revenue.

My biggest issue is trying to reduce/eliminate the exchange rate hit. I may end up with a CAD and a USD card. My flights will primarily be booked on Air Canada in CAD, while rent, cars, meals etc. will be in USD.

I should have titled the post as looking for advice on a Canadian Corporation earning US Dollar revenue with a mix of CAD and USD expenses and how to best set up the banking for it.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2775 posts
171 upvotes
The RBC USD Visa card allows you to collect RBC's reward points. I am in the similar situation, a Canadian Corp but earns USD revenue from US based clients, that I travel weekly to.
I think the RBC visa is the only USD based card in Canada that offers some sort of 'reward' points system.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5961 posts
6020 upvotes
Vancouver
If it doesn't need to be specifically a business credit card, you have many more options.

A perennial RFD favorite is the TD Cash Visa from TD Bank NA (TD's US subsidiary). It's available to residents of Canada, no ITIN or SSN required. 3% back at restaurants, 2% groceries, 1% other. No annual fee and no currency conversion fee if you make a purchase in something other than USD, so it's a decent card to use in Canadian restaurants too.

RFD thead: td-cash-visa-td-bank-n-2201330/
Apply link: https://www.td.com/us/en/personal-banki ... cash-card/

There's also a business-specific version. https://www.td.com/us/en/personal-banki ... edit-card/ No annual fee, 3% back on phone, cable, and internet, 2% on dining and gas, 1% on other.

Note that neither of these cards come with any sort of insurance coverage.