• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 10:09 pm
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
173 posts
163 upvotes
Scarborough

[Best Buy] $109.99 ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 Video Card

It should be a warm deal these days, if you need a video card to upgrade your HTPC. It's fanless, low profile and can handle 4K.
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 14th, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer edit
50 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19782 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
Are people still doing HTPC builds these days? With so many people having multi-screen home setups, I would've thought Kodi/Plex would've been more common (that's what I swapped to a few years ago)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4804 posts
2075 upvotes
This card shouldn't even exist, any recent intel or amd apu would be just as good.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Jan 23, 2014
135 posts
76 upvotes
Montréal
wearysky wrote: Are people still doing HTPC builds these days? With so many people having multi-screen home setups, I would've thought Kodi/Plex would've been more common (that's what I swapped to a few years ago)
I have Kodi on an HTPC. I also do some Steam games (Lego with kids), mgalaxy (mame) and other things. If you don't have/don't want screen in every rooms, a custom HTPC is cheaper than a NAS and can be upgraded when needed.
Jun 26, 2004
506 posts
171 upvotes
Buying an entry level card is almost always a bad idea.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes
NightRain wrote: This card shouldn't even exist, any recent intel or amd apu would be just as good.
I don't think Intel iGPU is sufficient.
However, AMD's latest Raven Bridge is pretty good.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
173 posts
163 upvotes
Scarborough
I have a HTPC, I3 540 CPU on gigabyte ga-h55n-usb3 mini itx MB, built in 7 years ago but still working very well. After adding this video card, it's 4k HTPC now.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
173 posts
163 upvotes
Scarborough
Not good if you're a gamer. For HTPC, 1030 is good enough.
Mar 6, 2015
292 posts
210 upvotes
Quebec, QC
NightRain wrote: This card shouldn't even exist, any recent intel or amd apu would be just as good.
Maybe (although from what I've seen the 1030 is still better than the latest intel igpu). But not everyone has the latest intel or amd processor. The gt 1030 is great for updating a 5-6 year old computer with a decent processor to be able to play some of the more recent games, even if not at highest quality. It also takes stress off the system ram, freeing more of it up for the processor to use. It also gives you an hdmi port if the motherboard of your older computer doesn't have one, so it can be easily connected to a tv.

That said, $110 isn't a hot deal for a gt1030.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
173 posts
163 upvotes
Scarborough
wearysky wrote: Are people still doing HTPC builds these days? With so many people having multi-screen home setups, I would've thought Kodi/Plex would've been more common (that's what I swapped to a few years ago)
I prefer dedicated devices for my home theater.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
173 posts
163 upvotes
Scarborough
yeahwhat wrote: Maybe (although from what I've seen the 1030 is still better than the latest intel igpu). But not everyone has the latest intel or amd processor. The gt 1030 is great for updating a 5-6 year old computer with a decent processor to be able to play some of the more recent games, even if not at highest quality. It also takes stress off the system ram, freeing more of it up for the processor to use. It also gives you an hdmi port if the motherboard of your older computer doesn't have one, so it can be easily connected to a tv.

That said, $110 isn't a hot deal for a gt1030.
I never saw hot deals for 1030 video cards.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19782 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
richardjhy wrote: I prefer dedicated devices for my home theater.
Sure, like I said - if you only have a single screen for content, it still makes sense to do an HTPC. I just wasn't aware that there were so many people that still had single-screen setups, but I guess not everybody has a wife that watches different shows from you, and two kids that watch different content from each other (and you) the way that I do. Lol.
Jan 23, 2014
135 posts
76 upvotes
Montréal
wearysky wrote: Sure, like I said - if you only have a single screen for content, it still makes sense to do an HTPC. I just wasn't aware that there were so many people that still had single-screen setups, but I guess not everybody has a wife that watches different shows from you, and two kids that watch different content from each other (and you) the way that I do. Lol.
Kodi can stream from an HTPC to other devices, you don't need a NAS for that.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
173 posts
163 upvotes
Scarborough
wearysky wrote: Sure, like I said - if you only have a single screen for content, it still makes sense to do an HTPC. I just wasn't aware that there were so many people that still had single-screen setups, but I guess not everybody has a wife that watches different shows from you, and two kids that watch different content from each other (and you) the way that I do. Lol.
I don't know others, but my home theater room was treated acoustically, hooking up with decent 7.1 speaker system and AV receiver.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8522 posts
3708 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
The only time I bought an HTPC GPU was getting an HD4550 because the onboard didn't support YPbPr for my ancient CRT TV.

These days onboard HDMI is more than enough for video decoding. Don't waste your money on this.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4804 posts
2075 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote: I don't think Intel iGPU is sufficient.
However, AMD's latest Raven Bridge is pretty good.
I have a 6 year old Intel CPU with the iGPU running 4k uncompressed blu-ray media without any issues.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5909 posts
2140 upvotes
Cornwall PE
yeahwhat wrote: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66790

Here's a silent one (useful in htpcs) for $10 less, regular price.
Got this a week or so ago on amazon for $94.99 with free shipping it is indeed a good card. Too bad even entry level cards are starting to feel the effects of the present situation with supply and demand.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309