Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] $129.99 TIGER JBV-S10U Micom Rice Cooker with Tacook Plate 5.5-Cup

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2020 7:10 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 19, 2011
86 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] $129.99 TIGER JBV-S10U Micom Rice Cooker with Tacook Plate 5.5-Cup

This is one the best rice cookers I've ever owned, shipped by Orient Depot with free shipping.

4 functions in 1: Rice Cooking, Tacook Cooking, Slow Cooking and Steaming

•Quick-and-Convenient 10 Computerized Menu Settings: Plain Rice, Quick mode, Mixed rice, Brown Rice, Slow Cooking, Porridge, Synchro-Cooking, Sweet Rice, Steam Cooking and Multi-grain Rice

•5.5-Cups capacity ideal for couples and family

•2 preset timers allow you to set the desired cooking finish time

•Automatic Keep Warm function keeps your rice fresh for hours

•Simple white body design fits every kitchen decor

•BPA-free Tacook cooking plate & Delicious food recipes included

•Thick inner pot (1.7mm)

•Made in Japan
52 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2009
2245 posts
1391 upvotes
North Vancouver
We're looking to get a rice cooker this Black Friday. Any thoughts on Tiger vs. Zojirushi, and Made in Japan vs Made in China? Thanks very much.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2009
2245 posts
1391 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks very much!
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5195 posts
4243 upvotes
pattpatt wrote: Take a look at this article, I owned both but prefer Tiger because it cooks sticky rice more evenly than Zojirushi. Buy a Made in Japan, at least they last longer.
https://www.navanfoods.com/zojirushi-vs-tiger/
Why would made in Japan last longer? Japan hasn't been good at making things for a while and lost their skilled workers and factories over last couple of decades
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2710 posts
1278 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Why would made in Japan last longer? Japan hasn't been good at making things for a while and lost their skilled workers and factories over last couple of decades
Righttttt. I’d take something made in Japan over many other countries any day. Japan still makes many high end products and keeps many of them for their domestic market only.

I think you mean lost out to cheap labour in China.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5195 posts
4243 upvotes
zzzz24 wrote: Righttttt. I’d take something made in Japan over many other countries any day. Japan still makes many high end products and keeps many of them for their domestic market only.

I think you mean lost out to cheap labour in China.
Based on what other than nostalgia? Japan doesn't make much anymore and have lost the know how with their stagnant population and loss of manufacturing and skills from very old workers

Japan doesn't make high end products good enough for export anymore. They do make some stuff for domestic consumption but that's more of because it's not competitive from quality and cost perspective

I did consulting for multinationals for procurement and setting up shop and Japan just isn't competitive for high value (and obviously low value goods)

China isn't place for cheap manufacturing anymore, it's more for high value items now. China is far from cheapest place, but it's where you need to be for higher value/quality items and logistics. Japan lost out to the Malaysia and thailand for small appliances

This McKinsey report pretty much hits the nail on the head with the collapse of Japanese quality/manufacturing/productivity and competitiveness

https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKins ... 3-2017.pdf
Last edited by StatsGuy on Nov 2nd, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2080 posts
2662 upvotes
GTA
We have a Tiger JKT-S18U since 2016. Can vouch for its quality, regardless of white rice, brown or congee. Non-stick interior of inner pot is like new.
JKT-S18U is 10 cup and induction, but otherwise similar to the OP's.

edit: wife who knows these things says Tiger > Zojirushi.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2710 posts
1278 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Based on what other than nostalgia? Japan doesn't make much anymore and have lost the know how with their stagnant population and loss of manufacturing and skills from very old workers

Japan doesn't make high end products good enough for export anymore. They do make some stuff for domestic consumption but that's more of because it's not competitive from quality and cost perspective

I did consulting for multinationals for procurement and setting up shop and Japan just isn't competitive for high value (and obviously low value goods)

China isn't place for cheap manufacturing anymore, it's more for high value items now. China is far from cheapest place, but it's where you need to be for higher value/quality items and logistics. Japan lost out to the Malaysia and thailand for small appliances

This McKinsey report pretty much hits the nail on the head with the collapse of Japanese quality/manufacturing/productivity and competitiveness

https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKins ... 3-2017.pdf
Based on the fact that Japan has the worlds third largest economy? I am well aware Japan's bubble burst in the early 90s, and the fact that they have an aging population, combined with a declining birth rate, but that doesn't change the fact that they still make high-end products.
Also, people actually take their jobs seriously there, no matter what their job is. Just that fact alone, would make me rather buy a product that is manufactured in Japan vs. elsewhere.

China is the place for high value and quality items? Ummm what? China is the place to go for cheap crap, knock offs, and intellectual property theft, but if you say so.
Jr. Member
Nov 16, 2014
162 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
zzzz24 wrote: Based on the fact that Japan has the worlds third largest economy? I am well aware Japan's bubble burst in the early 90s, and the fact that they have an aging population, combined with a declining birth rate, but that doesn't change the fact that they still make high-end products.
Also, people actually take their jobs seriously there, no matter what their job is. Just that fact alone, would make me rather buy a product that is manufactured in Japan vs. elsewhere.

China is the place for high value and quality items? Ummm what? China is the place to go for cheap crap, knock offs, and intellectual property theft, but if you say so.
Your argument is weak in the face of StatsGuy citing an actual source to backup his claims.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2073 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
StatsGuy wrote: Based on what other than nostalgia? Japan doesn't make much anymore and have lost the know how with their stagnant population and loss of manufacturing and skills from very old workers

Japan doesn't make high end products good enough for export anymore. They do make some stuff for domestic consumption but that's more of because it's not competitive from quality and cost perspective

I did consulting for multinationals for procurement and setting up shop and Japan just isn't competitive for high value (and obviously low value goods)

China isn't place for cheap manufacturing anymore, it's more for high value items now. China is far from cheapest place, but it's where you need to be for higher value/quality items and logistics. Japan lost out to the Malaysia and thailand for small appliances

This McKinsey report pretty much hits the nail on the head with the collapse of Japanese quality/manufacturing/productivity and competitiveness

https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKins ... 3-2017.pdf
Wrong, case in point:

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2710 posts
1278 upvotes
odiferousmuffins wrote: Your argument is weak in the face of StatsGuy citing an actual source to backup his claims.
I already agreed that Japan isn't going through the economic boom it once was.
What exactly would you like me to post? The many Japanese manufacturers of electronics, pharma, and automobile companies out there? I think most people in the world are quite aware of them.
Ever heard of the term JDM? Japan still manufactures many products for their own domestic market.

Now let me name all of the ''high-end'' Chinese companies out there. Hmm.. I can't name one...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2073 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
zzzz24 wrote: I already agreed that Japan isn't going through the economic boom it once was.
What exactly would you like me to post? The many Japanese manufacturers of electronics, pharma, and automobile companies out there? I think most people in the world are quite aware of them.
Ever heard of the term JDM? Japan still manufactures many products for their own domestic market.

Now let me name all of the ''high-end'' Chinese companies out there. Hmm.. I can't name one...
To be fair, China does have some innovative companies like DJI and Huawei (although I would not buy any phone from Huawei for a variety of reasons), but those guys are definitely crazy to suggest Japan isn't routinely making high quality, innovative consumer electronics.
Member
Jun 22, 2009
453 posts
221 upvotes
I don't understand how is the topic about rice cooker turned into China va Japan lol. You guys are jokes.

Going back to the question, if you big ok rice consumption and looking for consistent texture then go with Zujiroshi at the same price range.
All brand has different products designed for certain customer demographics.if you willing to pay top dollar for flagship, then you get what you paid for. All about profit margin at end of the day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5195 posts
4243 upvotes
zzzz24 wrote: Based on the fact that Japan has the worlds third largest economy? I am well aware Japan's bubble burst in the early 90s, and the fact that they have an aging population, combined with a declining birth rate, but that doesn't change the fact that they still make high-end products.
Also, people actually take their jobs seriously there, no matter what their job is. Just that fact alone, would make me rather buy a product that is manufactured in Japan vs. elsewhere.

China is the place for high value and quality items? Ummm what? China is the place to go for cheap crap, knock offs, and intellectual property theft, but if you say so.
All the quality scandals from Japan say otherwise. They lost their edge and have nothing to replace it. Can you name some high quality manufacturing export Japan makes? Long time ago they had batteries left but that's also gone now

Where are the top electronics and textiles made? China

Read up on kobe steel, takata etc. They're falling so much behind they're just faking it like China low cost items except it's high priced items too for the Japanese

In addition to the McKinsey report I linked on why Japan has fallen so much in quality, this is also a good but shorter summary on free fall in Japanese quality

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... al-quality
Under the once-vaunted "keiretsu" system of close, trust-based ties between manufacturers and suppliers, "Made-in-Japan" became a byword for industrial quality and reliability.

That reputation has eroded over recent years.

Kobe Steel is just the latest in a string of corporate scandals involving data tampering and other methods of cheating to tarnish the Japan Inc quality stamp.

It may be a sign that the government's push to improve corporate governance is seeing greater disclosure of wrongdoing.

But the root cause is more likely that Japanese manufacturers are failing modern compliance standards as they grapple with a shrinking domestic market and increased global competition.

As the focus has shifted to market mechanisms instead of cosy relationship-based arrangements, Japanese manufacturers have had to compete on price and expand their client base.

"Growing global competition has forced Japanese manufacturers to cut costs to be more efficient, while fulfilling a production quota which is often difficult to achieve," said lawyer Motokazu Endo at Tokyo Kasumigaseki law office.

The "keiretsu" system was the bedrock of Japan's automotive industry. As the market has become more competition based, those carmakers now invest less money in their suppliers and spend less time checking what those suppliers' factories are producing, said auto industry consultant Hitoshi Kaise, who is also a partner at Roland Berger.

Beyond that, Japan's economy has suffered decades of anaemic growth, bogged down in deflation with its population shrinking and with growing competition from its Asian neighbours.

Those pressures have potentially whittled away at Japanese firms' ability to compete, said Professor Hideaki Miyajima, a corporate governance expert at Waseda Unversity.

GONE TOO FAR
The list of manufacturer miscreants is long, and growing.

Nissan Motor has had to recall every new car it sold in Japan in the last three years after it falsified safety checks.

Both Suzuki Motor and Mitsubishi Motors have faced scandals over fuel economy tests on their vehicles, and there was wrongdoing by the now bankrupt air bag maker Takata, Toyo Tire & Rubber, and Asahi Kasei.


"While focusing on targets was right in the beginning it has gone too far, with companies that can't hit their targets resorting to deception," said production quality expert Hiroshi Osada, who is also a professor at Bunkyo University.

Over the last 15 years, compliance rules have become stricter but many Japanese companies have carried on with practices common in the past, said lawyer Nobuo Gohara, who specialises in compliance. "There are many of these problems lying dormant on the factory floor," he said.

Japan runs the risk that it will "lose out as other Asian economies, including China, progressively raise their standards of quality and reliability", said Professor Thomas Clarke, a corporate governance expert at the University of Technology in Sydney.

BETTER BOARDS
And it's not just dodgy data.

Conglomerate Toshiba is still battling an accounting scandal, and there is a litany of wrongdoing at Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco), the operator of the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex.

Just this week, Japan's nuclear regulator said Japan Nuclear Fuel had violated safety rules at its Rokkasho site by fabricating records to say safety checks had been carried out. The plant's start data has been delayed 23 times.

Even when moves are taken to strengthen external monitoring of companies, "it's not possible to conduct checks day in, day out", said Prof Osada of Bunkyo University, who sat on an external panel that audited Toyota during its 2010 recall crisis.

Companies must do more to develop a culture in which workers are able to raise concerns and say "no" to their bosses, and in which teamwork is used to catch wrongdoing by other employees, Prof Osada added.

More attention should be focused on Japan's board members, who are not active enough in engaging with scandals when they occur, said lawyer Shin Ushijima, who is also president of the Japan Corporate Governance Network, noting a tendency for companies to be over-reliant on appointing outside panels that are not truly independent.

Corporate governance reforms are having some impact, said Mr Ushijima. At Toshiba, "the board, while not perfect, was improved after it was reshuffled".
Last edited by StatsGuy on Nov 2nd, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
May 18, 2007
192 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Dang, this thread be looking like facebook comments.
I feel like this cooker is still a little pricey and I've been keeping my eye out for a rice cooker since sept. Been surviving on stovetop cooked.
Hope to read more input from people who are focused on the product versus anything else.
RFD needs a dark mode theme T_T my eyeeeeesssssss
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
10183 posts
2804 upvotes
Montreal, QC
IMO it doesn't matter where it's made, the brand name and engineering is where it's at.
You're paying a premium for higher labor cost in the end.

I'm happy with my china made Tiger, everyone is entitled to spend their money on an overpriced items of their choice.
Member
Jun 22, 2009
453 posts
221 upvotes
xiaohua wrote: That guy is obviously anti china to the core lol. he's living in a bubble and sticking his head in the sand. Its like he only sees china as making dollar store items but wants a rolls royce for a toonie

anyways, I have the rice cooker and an instant pot. if you only need one appliance, I suggest getting an instant pot instead (or any other pressure cooker). Its just much faster at making rice and flexible at other stuff. I don't even cook. this is coming from the wife.
I'd disagree with you/wife on that. Instant pot is not efficient for cooking rice.
i tried multiple recipe and its inconsistent. Even if it comes out well, the top and the bottom has a different texture.

everyone has their own opinion, and I respect that.
however, in the HotDeals form, i'd prefer to stick with the product and deals lol. my two cent.
Member
Jun 22, 2009
453 posts
221 upvotes
i got the Zujiroshi from Amazon while back for $150 range.
if you stay patient, they go on sale on Walmart for $100-125 range.
keep an eye out.

it does what it does the best, simple yet great steamed rice lol...
I've been leaning towards Quinua nowadays so stopped using in a while haha
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
10183 posts
2804 upvotes
Montreal, QC
IMO this Tiger have more modernish looks/lines than the ugly AF egg shaped Zojis lol

Tacook is also pretty neat to have for a one pot meal

Top