Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

$199.99 - Seagate Expansion 10TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STEB10000400)

Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2020
1125 posts
1797 upvotes
Jokerpersona wrote: I think I fell from the lucky tree and hit every branch on the way down.

The drive runs at a cool 58 degrees celsius, can make me breakfast.
The read speeds per CrystalDisk Mark are: 201.74, 92.70, 1.21, 0.15. (top to bottom row)
The write speeds are: 154.14, 54.52, 2.33, 2.01. (top to bottom row)

What a dud. IronWolf too. This thing is going back, going to try a return and if not, exchange.

Damn thing. I already moved over most my media too. Annoyed.
Best Buy took my return. No issues. Said it was defective, want to return, took one minute total.

Guess it's YMMV on the return policy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
some lucky dog will get back this exact drive for an RMA lol then wish he/she never rma
May 24, 2007
181 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
I am experiencing Long Generic test fail, restarted a few times, then it fail from different % of time during the test. Anyone have idea of what's going on?
Jul 13, 2011
673 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
frankykw wrote: I am experiencing Long Generic test fail, restarted a few times, then it fail from different % of time during the test. Anyone have idea of what's going on?

I am a novice myself, but I’ll start off...

Could be anything from a failing drive to a bad connection to the PC to a power delivery issue.

Do you have any software that can either monitor or view the drive’s SMART data?

Does the Seatools log have any information on why the test failed?
Dec 26, 2007
604 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
So, after running multiple tests, I cracked open all my exos. Easy to crack, no glue, just regular locks. All drives scanned for warranty as 10tb drives.

What puzzled me is that 2 of the drives have the same manufactured date, in the same facility, but the backplate looks different. What does your exos look like?

I also noticed they do not have 3 holes on the bottom on each side like regular HDDs, so might be a problem to mount them in some cases / enclosures (e.g. my Fractal Define R3 would only fit with 2 screws).
Images
  • exos.png
Last edited by Legatinho on Dec 6th, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
frankykw wrote: I am experiencing Long Generic test fail, restarted a few times, then it fail from different % of time during the test. Anyone have idea of what's going on?
Could be a bad USB 3 cable. I've seen that twice. The cables that seagate gives you are of poor quality. 2/6 I got from them dont work for 1 of the drives (but works for another). Try another cable, and take note of the error code you get every time it fails.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
After reading a bunch of posts in this thread I'm very confused. I'm trying to determine whether I got an IronWolf Pro or an Exos, but nobody has a concrete answer on NAABF. What does an NAABF drive contain?

Here's the crystaldisk mark in case the speeds help to determine the drive.
Dec 26, 2007
604 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
SonicRings wrote: After reading a bunch of posts in this thread I'm very confused. I'm trying to determine whether I got an IronWolf Pro or an Exos, but nobody has a concrete answer on NAABF. What does an NAABF drive contain?

Here's the crystaldisk mark in case the speeds help to determine the drive.
oh, if you already opened the package, you can just use a smart tool (like crystal disk info), and it will show what's the model of the drive. if its ST10000NM001G you got an EXOS
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
Damn, I guess my st10000ne008 is an ironwolf pro then. So much for the "cleat sticker = exos" claim. Oh well, shouldn't make a difference for offline storage.
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
SonicRings wrote: Damn, I guess my st10000ne008 is an ironwolf pro then. So much for the "cleat sticker = exos" claim. Oh well, shouldn't make a difference for offline storage.
No one said clear sticker = EXOS.. don't know where you got that from
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
btkli wrote: No one said clear sticker = EXOS.. don't know where you got that from
The wonderful land of misinformation known as Reddit.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
SonicRings wrote: Damn, I guess my st10000ne008 is an ironwolf pro then. So much for the "cleat sticker = exos" claim. Oh well, shouldn't make a difference for offline storage.
FYI - There's a wiki after the first thread post.

Early on in the sale, I collected the data, and added a summary there.

Basically anything near NAABFQ* to NAABFS* range were Exos.

The same for NAABJ or NAABH. Can't remember
Jul 13, 2011
673 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
I also had 2 NAABDY drives come back as EXos drives
May 24, 2007
181 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: Could be a bad USB 3 cable. I've seen that twice. The cables that seagate gives you are of poor quality. 2/6 I got from them dont work for 1 of the drives (but works for another). Try another cable, and take note of the error code you get every time it fails.
ertmanius wrote: I am a novice myself, but I’ll start off...

Could be anything from a failing drive to a bad connection to the PC to a power delivery issue.

Do you have any software that can either monitor or view the drive’s SMART data?

Does the Seatools log have any information on why the test failed?

I printed out the test fail page and got the drive exchanged. Get the IronWolf of DOM 09/20. Doing long generic test now, wishing this drive will pass the test
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
frankykw wrote: I printed out the test fail page and got the drive exchanged. Get the IronWolf of DOM 09/20. Doing long generic test now, wishing this drive will pass the test
It will. dont sweat it. You arent going to get several that wont pass the test in a row. Also, passing the test doesnt mean the drive wont die on you after 1 year. All this does is make sure there are no bad sectors and the drive is able to read. It does no in any way write data to the drive.

May i ask which error code you got?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
frankykw wrote: I printed out the test fail page and got the drive exchanged. Get the IronWolf of DOM 09/20. Doing long generic test now, wishing this drive will pass the test
Wouldn't it be better to run bad blocks? I personally run it with these specific patterns:

sudo badblocks -b 4096 -t 0xaa -t 0x55 -wsv /dev/sd#
(Above runs 1 pass with 2 patterns (0xaa, 0x55), writing and reading back each of them for a total of 2 writes and 2 reads)
Jul 13, 2011
673 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa
evilYoda wrote: All this does is make sure there are no bad sectors and the drive is able to read. It does no in any way write data to the drive.
Maybe people should be performing the long test then zeroing the drive at minimum. Still doesnt mean the drive will last, but at least they would know it read and written to as a starting point.
May 24, 2007
181 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: It will. dont sweat it. You arent going to get several that wont pass the test in a row. Also, passing the test doesnt mean the drive wont die on you after 1 year. All this does is make sure there are no bad sectors and the drive is able to read. It does no in any way write data to the drive.

May i ask which error code you got?
The error code is E291C5DC

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)